It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
(female)

momof4boys HB User
Question mangos causing cold sore like symptoms?

Has anyone had symptoms from Mangos that are symilar to cold sores?

I have a crusted rash over the top and bottom lips that burn, itch and are making me very crabby!!! These are not raised very much and are not weeping a lot. Just crusted over.

I do get cold sores which are usually a big sore or cluster of sores that just seem diffierent than what I have right now.

Old 06-19-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
(female)

momof4boys HB User
Re: mangos causing cold sore like symptoms?

Ok after suffering with these painful burning itching crusty lips from Wednesday to Friday, I looked on some research boards and found out that people with mango allgergies may get a similar rash that they would get from poison ivy. Since I have had allergic reactions to poison ivy in the past and this rash looked exactly like the rash I got from poison ivy I figured it had to be from the mangos I ate on Tuesday. I not only ate the meat of the mango I also scraped the meat off the peeling with my teeth which caused the peel(oils) to touch my lips.

My doctor only gave me a prescription for cold sores. He didn't even think of an allergic reaction. Needless to say that didn't work.

Last night I couldn't take the burning and itching any more so after believing this is from the mangos I cut up and ate on Tuesday, and being like an allergic reaction, I used my son's excema medicine which I believe is a steroid. I put it on before I fell asleep and when I woke up this morning my lips were almost back to normal. They are still a little swollen but I can handle that over the burning and itching. I was about ready to rip my lips off my face.

My thought was that allergic reaction to poison ivy, mangos, etc. would be treated like an allergic reaction which causes excema. My son itches has bumps and it gets crusty too. It worked for me!!!! I am not a doctor and I don't play one on tv but I know that if it worked for me it may work for everyone or anyone else with an allergic rash. I just thougt I would let you all know what worked for me in case it can help anyone else.

Please post if this worked for anyone else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2004, 01:30 PM   #3
(female)

artbuggy3 HB User

Glad my post was of use to someone!

Last edited by artbuggy3; 06-19-2004 at 01:30 PM.

Old 06-21-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Do you get bad cramps monthly? Irregular periods? Any signs of a hormonal imbalance?
I used to get cold sores EVERY MONTH around the time of my period & what stopped them was going on the pill. I read it as a tip off from some farmers medicine website that the imbalance of the hormone prostaglandin can cause cold sores in woman.
And about the cold sores vs allergy part. Well let's pick that apart. Cold sores are the product of something triggering the virus, the HSV-2 virus lies dormant in the deep nerve endings until something triggers it. Common triggers are sunlight/sunburn, spicy foods, stress, getting your period, the use of corticosteroids, sickness, etc. Basically anything that lowers your immune system can cause a cold sore, hence the name, cold sore. Now let's look at allergies.. allergies are caused from the overreaction of the immune system which can be triggered by just about everything. Eczema is an overreaction of the immune system, and it usually starts off as itchy, then bumpy, then rough feeling(like sandpaper), then swells, and then feels funny when you itch it. So cold sores have nothing to do with allergies whatsoever, sorry.
My mom's done this before, but what you did by using the steroid cream was just about the worst thing you could do for it. Your harvesting a virus by lowering your immune system response. With cold sores you should be trying to INCREASE your immune levels by drinking lots of OJ, taking vitamin C & lysine supplements, and possibly using an antiviral cream or pill(if you can tolerate it). If you are prone to cold sores, you should consider going on the pill or taking immune system supplements. Some helpful treatments while having a cold sore is to split a Vitamin E capsule & put it on the cold sore several times a day, use an antiviral cream(HIGHLY recommend Denavir), use a burst of oral Valtrex, drink tons of OJ, etc. Some tips for preventing cold sores.. know your triggers. If you do ANYTHING, ANYTHING at all that could cause a cold sore(tanning, prolonged sun exposure, illness, etc), put the antiviral cream all over your lips & nose. No it won't hurt you to take it as a precautionary measure.
Generally, eczema doesn't cause "painful, burning, itching" that cold sores do. You can tell by looking at the cold sores the difference, cold sores will have like clear bubbles almost that crust up and fall off, eczema doesn't crust up really, it just oozes & weeps, then dries and is like peeling off a layer of skin.
So my point is, it's not an allergy from what it sounds like. Your doctor is right.. the antiviral cream won't do 2 much if you start it AFTER the cold sore has erupted, maybe shorten if by a month or 2. Believe me.. I have had cold sores and eczema all my life & the 2 are very, very distinct conditions which are treated in 2 completely separate ways. And whatever you do, don't use the steroid cream again unless you want an entire face full of cold sores..
BTW.. are your glands swollen at all?

Old 06-21-2004, 08:56 PM   #5
(female)

momof4boys HB User

OK answers your reply to my origional post..... I said in that one that it was NOT cold sores and that it was a reaction to the mangos. It was just like when I got poison ivy. I would not have taken steroids for them because I took a valtrex immediately and it did not help at all. Valtrex worked every other time, but this time it did not help and quickly got worse.

I have been dealing with cold sores since I was a baby and that is why I was asking if anyone had a reaction to mangos like a cold sore. Not that I was wondering if I had cold sores. The reaction began like cold sores (itchy and burning, raised, etc.) but became a all over both lips and around the lips. It was slightly raised and crusty. Just like poison ivy. And since I found out that poison ivy and mangos are related I made an educated guess and figured out that it was indeed the mangos.

Secondly I knew I did not have exczema. My husband and 2 of my son's have that. I knew it was a reaction from the mangos when I used the medicine. All I was saying with using it that the medicine might have other uses than just getting rid of exczema. Thought being---Mangos reaction-Poison ivy reaction- exczema being caused by an allergy(all being allergic reactions) that the cream might work on my allergic reation to mangos. And it worked.

I have no cramps, I have no swollen glands, I get cold sores once in a great while when I get a cold and then get the sores, I am very healthy, and know my body well. I just never had an allergic reaction to food before. I am just glad that I figured out that it was a reaction to mangos and that the medicine I tried cleared the complete rash in less than 24 hours.

Old 06-23-2004, 11:55 AM   #6

maggie39 HB User

A friend of mine had an allergy to latex, and she told me she couldn't eat mangoes because apparently they are related to the plant that latex rubber comes from. Do you have any problems with latex? That would be an important allergy to know about because most hospitals use latex gloves - you would want that in your hospital records incase you ever go in for emergency surgery or something like that.

Old 06-23-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
(female)

momof4boys HB User

yes I have reactions to laytex too! I just never thought such a yummy fruit like mangos could cause me problems. Also let your friend know that some band-aids health care people use cause rashes too in people with reactions to laytex. For some reason none of my doctors or nurses put the two together and keep trying to give me those band-aids. It is amazing how we all need to be up on our own health and how everything reacts together.

Old 06-27-2004, 06:20 AM   #8

critical HB User

There are also many other things that are cross reactive foods/and hidden allergens associated with latex. Some lists are incomplete, but the major items I stay away from include, anything with aloe vera, mangoes, papaya, bananas, chestnuts, any food packaging with a seal-using a glue ie:cheese slices. nonlatex and latex bandaids(unless otherwise labelled as latex free). We also removed all the carpet underpadding from our house and got rid of any rubber backed mats. I watch out for anything that may have been in contact with elastics- including newpapers and money! With all precautions taken I have managed to go several months with out any major reactions. Good Luck!

Old 06-28-2004, 07:54 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User

I know nothing about mangoes, but I do know allergies can cause sores on the lips. I am allergic to cosmetics and most toothpastes, and I had dry, crusty, sore, bleeding lips for almost half a year until I realized it was an allergy. So congrats for figuring it out so soon. As soon as I started using my steroid cream for my eczema on my lips, they started improving. Now, as long as I avoid my allergens, they are fine. Good luck, I know this is frustrating. Take care!

Old 07-01-2004, 06:40 AM   #10
(female)

momof4boys HB User

That is awesome that it worked for you too!!!

Anyone that has not experienced the burning lips and allergic reactions on the lips can't even imagine the emotional problems it causes let alone the physical problems.

I hope this thread helps others!

Old 07-01-2004, 08:37 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User

momof4boys-you really hit the nail on the head about the emotional problems. It sounds silly, but it is so true.

Old 07-14-2004, 06:39 AM   #12
(female)

momof4boys HB User

I'm just glad I figured it out now rather than getting more outbreaks.

Old 07-29-2004, 09:29 AM   #13
(female)

pacosta HB User
The skin is the trouble, right?

I had the same reaction from eating the meat of the mango right off of the skin. From what I've read, it's the skin that causes the reaction. I went to the doctor and he perscribed hydro cortizone cream. It worked after about 3 days.
So my question is, can I eat sliced up mango if I don't touch the skin?? I love mango!

Old 07-29-2004, 10:05 AM   #14
(female)

momof4boys HB User

I don't think I am ever going to chance getting a reaction again. I dont care how yummy Mangos are!!! I'm not going to eat pineapples either just incase.
You think this would be more widely known.
My Niece's boyfriend gets the same reaction from banannas if he touches them to his lips.
Fruit is supposed to be good for you and not painful.

Old 08-10-2004, 10:56 AM   #15

pinksam11 HB User

I just registered here because I found this topic and had to reply.

I'm 22 now but back toward the end of high school and into my first year of college I had these problems too. I kept getting cold sore-like bumps that would start out looking like a rash (I'd get a rash on the roof of my mouth too), then progress to pus-filled sores that would eventually weep and then crust over. I want to shudder right now because it was so disgusting looking/feeling and so emotionally upsetting. I had to go interview at colleges with this problem, it was so embarrassing.

I went to multiple doctors and several dermatologists to find out what was going on. The regular doctors mostly thought it was a form of the Herpes virus and put me on medication for it. I ended up having a separate allergic reaction to that med. Others thought it was some sort of allergy but couldn't figure out the cause. One dermatologist tested me for all different kinds of allergies, but I didn't react to anything she tried.

Finally I went down to Georgia to start my first year of college. I had a small breakout so I visited a dermatologist down there. He asked me if I was allergic to poison ivy and I said yes, and that my dad is very allergic. He suggested that mangos (! who would've thought?) could be causing the problems. I thought back to all the times I'd had breakouts and could vaguely trace them back to having eaten a mango beforehand. I'd only started eating mangos during high school which is why I'd never had problems before then. I don't exactly remember his explanation for why they're a problem, but he said something about how the oils in the mango skin come from the same family as poison ivy.

I don't remember him having any treatment for me, but I've been 100% problem-free since that day because I've avoided mangos like the plague. It's unfortunate because I absolutely love them, but it's a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make.

One note: For those of you with this allergy, you may to avoid the fruit as well as the skin of the mango, I can't handle any of it. I'm so sensitive to it that I got bumps on the roof of my mouth (early warning sign for me) one time after using my parents' kitchen 3 days after my mom had cut mangos in there. I also got bumps from pears for a little while. I don't have any problems with latex, though.

I know a lot of this is a repeat of what's been said, but I just wanted to share my story and offer what little additional information I could. Good luck!

Closed Thread