It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2004, 10:35 AM   #1

livelife1 HB User
Anyone used Nasonex?

For some odd reason, I mowed the lawn one day and ever since then I've developed some sort of allergy. My nose gets stuffy, usually 1 side at a time and my eyes are itchy. Can allergies just develop all of a sudden like that??

Anyway, my doctor perscribed me Nasonex and Clarinex. Clarniex does absolutely nothing for me but NAsonex helps.

Just wanted to know, Nasonex treating the symptons or the cause? Like if I stop taking Nasonex, will there still be some long lasting improvements?

Old 08-20-2004, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: Anyone used Nasonex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelife1
For some odd reason, I mowed the lawn one day and ever since then I've developed some sort of allergy. My nose gets stuffy, usually 1 side at a time and my eyes are itchy. Can allergies just develop all of a sudden like that??

Anyway, my doctor perscribed me Nasonex and Clarinex. Clarniex does absolutely nothing for me but NAsonex helps.

Just wanted to know, Nasonex treating the symptons or the cause? Like if I stop taking Nasonex, will there still be some long lasting improvements?
First, yes allergies can sneek up on ya. I have used Nasonex and Flonase both. The Flonase seems to work better for me, but they both do a pretty good job. Just be careful with it, as nose sprays can become addictive. If you use it all the time, your nose will start to think it needs it in order to stay unstuffed.
If you have developed full blown allergies, you will have good days and bad days, so the long lasting improvements will vary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2004, 02:52 PM   #3

livelife1 HB User

NAsonex is a steroid spray, even they can become addictive?!? I thought it was only the decongestant sprays. I've read it numerous times that low dose steroid sprays were ok for longer periods of time.

Old 08-20-2004, 04:54 PM   #4
Veteran

reader1 HB User

Nasonex has to be taken daily in order to achieve maximum benefit. If you stop, you will stop seeing the benefit. Nasonex is an inhaled corticosteroid, like Flonase and Rhinocort. It helps prevent inflammation caused by allergies which can increase congestion, worsen allergic response, etc.

Old 08-21-2004, 08:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

I've tried Nasonex and Flonase both, I seemed to do better on the flonase. But as far as the allergies coming on quickly after doing the yard, it was possible that you upset some mold or pollen or both and it got into your system through the nose. That can cause a sinus reaction in me pretty quickly...

Old 08-25-2004, 11:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

I would say that the Nasonex treats the symptoms. First of all, know what you are allergic to and then avoid the trigger. Antihistamines do not help with congestion but they do help with itchiness, runny nose. The Nasonex which is a steroid nasal spray helps with the congestion, runny nose, itchiness... Antihistamines are able to help with the itchiness of the eyes. And yes, allergies can develop suddenly at any age. Some people may find that this medication works better for them while others may find another one working better.

Closed Thread