It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2004, 06:19 AM   #1
(female)

TRACIEL HB User
Wooshing sound in Ears - Allergies?

I have been experiencing a "wooshing sound' in my right ear for the last year and a half. It is not constant but will happen if I turn my head a certain direction or reach down to pick something up.

The doctor said that is was allergies which has effected by Eustationary Tube (my ear has been retracted) but it doesn't ever really go away. I will say that I don't take my allergies med like I should because they make me feel yucky.

Anyway one have any help or suggestions?

Old 08-30-2004, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: Wooshing sound in Ears - Allergies?

Is your doctor an ENT? You may want to have more extensive testing done to make sure fluid isn't trapped in there. Doesn't sound like it's anything serious.

Try Chlor-Tremeton 12hour tablets for a few days and see what happens. This is the most powerful antihistamine on the market (prescription or otherwise). It works wonders for me. I take it on an as-needed basis, because it can make you pretty drowsy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 07:00 AM   #3
(female)

TRACIEL HB User

Thanks for the suggestion - I will buy some today. I am very sensitive to medicine so I will take it at night or maybe try a 1/2 table until I get use to it.

I have not gone to an ENT but after dealing with this for a 1 1/2 I probably should - I will mention that this started after I had my braces off and I'm thinking it may be TMJ related as well or maybe the braces caused some nerve damage, who knows

Thanks again - T

Old 08-30-2004, 09:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Are you congested? Sometimes when I'm really stuffed up, I hear funky noises in my ears...heh...I take some sudafed, or a hot shower, or some Breathe Easy tea, or some minty kinda tea or something and it goes away! Sometimes a combination of any of that stuff. You might want to try that, if you are stuffy, beacause that may be causing the problem.

Old 08-30-2004, 09:42 AM   #5
(female)

TRACIEL HB User

That is funny you should ask because I'm almost always stuffed up on the right side of the nostril which is the same side that I have the ear problems, maybe it is all realted.

Old 08-30-2004, 10:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Well, I am not an ENT or anything--just a fellow sufferer. So, I would say they are most likely connected, from my experience...clear up the congestion, the ear problems will go away...Good Luck!

Old 08-30-2004, 10:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

don't worry, it's not nerve damage. If you had that, you would be in a world of hurt!

Sounds like fluid trapped in the ear, or maybe Eustachian Tube Disfunction. Neither one is serious. Worse comes to worse, they had to put a tiny hole in your eardrum to allow fluid to drain and pressure to go back to normal. It's an office procedure -nothing.

Old 08-30-2004, 11:05 AM   #8
(female)

TRACIEL HB User

Well thanks again to both of you, I just may go ahead and schedule an appointment with the ENT.

You guys have made me feel MUCH better!!!!!

Old 08-30-2004, 01:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Yeah, scheduling with an ENT is the best option. I had that whoosing sound only once but it was like a washer machine--I had a bad ear infection that progressed pretty rapidly and after the whoosing my eardrum broke, but all this happend in one night, so I don't see your problem as being a serious infection. Although, an ENT is best to evaluate it. At the time this happend to me I was unfortunatley only seeing a general doc and he had me on a lot of decongestants!

Old 08-30-2004, 04:46 PM   #10
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Actually if there was fluid trapped in the ear- it could be pretty serious, as it can make ya reallll dizzy. Real debilitating.
As far as the 2 being connected(congestion & ear problems)- yes they are! The eustachian tube connects the ear, nose & throat, which is why often when one hurts or is infected, all 3 are affected. What happens is there must be a balance of pressure on both sides of the tube & outside. When the tube is inflammed, that makes a real imbalance of the pressure inside & out & causes a whole lotta pain in the ear.
So you should be taking your meds! If you are not taking a nasal steroid spray daily, you should be! It will keep the inflammation in check & keep you from feeling congested or your ears from hurting. I find that nothing helps me more than Sudafed Severe Congestion- combined w/ Clarinex & Flonase daily, makes me feel semi normal hehe.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

If you don't want to take your meds (lol some days I don't want to either..and I wait til I'm feeling pretty bad to take them :P) take hot showers...the steam will thin out your mucus...help your sinuses drain. Drink plenty of fluids...thin out your snot.

Old 10-02-2004, 05:20 AM   #12

fanniepack HB User

About four years ago, I went to the doctor with the same complaint and was told that I have a "spasm of the corotid artery." When you turn your head the whooshing sound disappears. It's nothing serious, and I quess it's just something you have to put up with. He suggested that I take an aspirin a day. I now have a different doctor and when I mentioned it to him he didn't get excited or anything. Just tried to listen for it and couldn't hear it. Seems to be no big deal. I will add that at first it was pretty loud and seemed to be on the left side, but now seems to be at the back of my head (or neck). Why that is, I don't know.

Old 10-02-2004, 05:21 AM   #13

fanniepack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanniepack
About four years ago, I went to the doctor with the same complaint and was told that I have a "spasm of the corotid artery." When you turn your head the whooshing sound disappears. It's nothing serious, and I quess it's just something you have to put up with. He suggested that I take an aspirin a day. I now have a different doctor and when I mentioned it to him he didn't get excited or anything. Just tried to listen for it and couldn't hear it. Seems to be no big deal. I will add that at first it was pretty loud and seemed to be on the left side, but now seems to be at the back of my head (or neck). Why that is, I don't know.

Closed Thread