It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2004, 03:51 PM   #1

san HB User
Question Post turbinate & deviated septum surgery????

Hi, I had surgery to correct severe deviated septum, remove concha bullosa (?air filled cyst), and turbinate reduction (or removal, not sure) one week ago. My question is the swelling inside on the side that had most of the work. How long for this to go down? I feel like I can't get hardly any air in that side. If I look up my nose, the opening I can see is only the size of the tip of a pencil (whereas my other side is way bigger than a whole pencil). I had no need for packing and the doctor didn't do any splints. I have been very easy on my nose, but it is starting to frustrate me. Any input helps.....maybe I am just being inpatient waiting for the swelling to go down?? thanks so much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2004, 11:32 PM   #2
(female)

Izzybella HB User
Re: Post turbinate & deviated septum surgery????

Last edited by Izzybella; 08-01-2007 at 09:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2004, 12:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hi san, maybe you could wait for one more week for the swelling to go down. All surgeons work differently, so they are the ones that decide if you need packing or splints. If you had the laser kind for the turbinate reduction, usually they won't do packing. Have a speedy recovery!

Izzybella, after you had your turbinectomy, how long it took for the turbinates to not hurt so badly? How long was your overall recovery? Are you having dry nose/throat and feeling the air that you breathe in is rather cold? I would like to know more, thx.

Old 09-20-2004, 10:07 AM   #4

san HB User

Thanks for the input. I am feeling a bit better now 10 days post surgery. I was supposed to go into for a clean out, etc. but the dr. office called & asked to postpone until Wednesday (the dr. had a death in the family). Thank god I am feeling better in general. I am sick of my throat & opposite nostril being real dry.

Old 09-20-2004, 07:58 PM   #5
(male)

Zshock HB User

San, I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better!! Hang in there!

Last edited by Zshock; 09-20-2004 at 08:06 PM.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hi San, it's good to hear that you are getting better! Is it possible if you share your experience on your surgery with me? I would be having a turbinectomy done and I would like to know more; what's the pain like after surgery...what you can and cannot do...etc.

Take some sugarless sweet or gum for the dry throat. Are you irrigrating or using any saline nasal spray for your dry nose? I think it might help... and all the best for your recovery!!!

Old 09-20-2004, 11:05 PM   #7
(female)

Izzybella HB User

Last edited by Izzybella; 08-01-2007 at 09:39 PM.

Old 09-20-2004, 11:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

There are quite a few different names for those turbinate surgeries like, turbinate resection, turbinates trimmed, turbinectomy... but I think they are the same, maybe the degree(amount) of turbinates they are removing? Thanks for your input! I also have a deviated septum but I don't think they are gonna do anything to it. I wonder what am I going to do if I have to sneeze after surgery... it's hard not to sneeze. How did you cope? Maybe I should train myself to sneeze with my mouth open as the nurse told me that I have to, after the surgery. I'll be having the surgery in nov this year.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:12 PM   #9
(female)

Izzybella HB User

Last edited by Izzybella; 08-01-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Old 09-22-2004, 12:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

Thanks for your input, Izzybella!

Old 09-22-2004, 08:44 PM   #11

aubsdad HB User

It took me almost 3weeks to feel like I could get going after my surgery,
I also was impatient and felt I should have felt better faster, 6 weeks
now and i can breathe great!

Old 09-23-2004, 04:17 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

That's good to hear that you can breathe better now! I hope too one day...

Old 09-23-2004, 06:38 AM   #13

san HB User

Izzybella, wow, that is exactly how I felt.... suction cup feeling. I almost ended up at ER for an anxiety attack due to it also. I had another follow up yesterday & he cleaned me out, but my one said is very swollen still AND it (the turbinate) is acting like a suction cup & pulling my septum that way (whereas it was originally deviated the opposite way). He is really hoping the swelling goes down soon & it will correct itself. As for now, it is a waiting game & back to see him next week.

For now, I can't stand the dry mouth & nose feeling. Does that get better with time too? thanks

Old 09-25-2004, 08:03 PM   #14
(female)

Izzybella HB User

Last edited by Izzybella; 08-01-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Old 10-22-2004, 11:01 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hi, to anyone who had or will be having a turbinectomy done... did you have a partial or a total turbinectomy done? I have posted this question before but haven't got any replies I think. I'm having surgery soon. Btw, when the nasal packs are pulled out, what does it feels like? I have heard that it's really painful. Thanks in advance!

Closed Thread