It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 06:12 AM   #1

MeredithNH HB User
Sulfer same as Calcium sulfate?

I am allergic to sulfer drugs, and I was going to take a supplement till I noticed it had "calcium sulfate" in it... is that the same as sulfer in medication?? I have no idea and wondered if any of you knew...

Old 10-08-2004, 08:26 PM   #2

Zeethan HB User
Re: Sulfer same as Calcium sulfate?

Sulfa: They are bacteriostatic drugs; i.e., they inhibit the growth and multiplication of bacteria but do not kill them. They act by interfering with enzyme systems essential to normal metabolic and growth patterns of bacteria. Although more than 5,000 sulfa drugs have been prepared and tested, fewer than 20 continue to have therapeutic value because resistant strains of bacteria have developed.

Sulfa drugs are assigned to four groups based on the rapidity with which they are absorbed and excreted. The most common side effects of sulfa drugs include nausea, vomiting, and mental confusion. Other side effects include fever, skin eruptions, anemia, leukopenia, and irritation of the liver or kidneys. More potent antibacterial drugs have largely replaced the sulfa drugs. They are still used, however, in the treatment of urinary tract infection.

Calcium Sulphate=a white salt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Don't take calcium supplements with meals! Wantok Anemia 4 03-26-2009 11:32 AM
Even lower numbers and HIGH calcium too! hopalong_too Thyroid Disorders 21 03-26-2008 05:48 AM
Burping Sulfer smell kwolfe9152 Digestive Disorders 0 03-07-2008 10:21 AM
Allergy to sulfer lilcee Allergies 0 05-27-2007 01:26 PM
can someone help with list of calcium rich foods? mgraylorn Diet & Nutrition 5 07-15-2005 03:38 AM