HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Allergies (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/)
-   -   Allergic to Fake Sugar? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/215576-allergic-fake-sugar.html)

LS289 10-11-2004 05:20 PM

Allergic to Fake Sugar?

Is anyone here allergic to fake sugar (i.e. splenda, nutrasweet, aspartame)??? I recently gave up equal and nutrasweet, but have continued to eat splenda because I believe it's "safer," however, I have noticed that after I drink a coffee with it in it or something, my lips get a little swollen and tingly and I get a stomach ache. Am I imagining this or could I be allergic???

Machaon 10-11-2004 05:38 PM

Re: Allergic to Fake Sugar?

[QUOTE=LS289]Is anyone here allergic to fake sugar (i.e. splenda, nutrasweet, aspartame)??? I recently gave up equal and nutrasweet, but have continued to eat splenda because I believe it's "safer," however, I have noticed that after I drink a coffee with it in it or something, my lips get a little swollen and tingly and I get a stomach ache. Am I imagining this or could I be allergic???[/QUOTE]

Do a search on sucralose, one of the ingrediants of Splenda. There are all kinds of health warnings. In fact there are all kinds of health warnings about aspartame also.

One can't always believe what one reads on the Internet, but I do find it interesting when I look something up and there are multiple warnings.

My wife gets a bad taste from Splenda, and all of the other artificial sweeteners, that lasts for about an hour.

quincy 10-12-2004 02:11 AM

The body only knows now to digest sugar, not the fake stuff. What's the big deal about sugar anyway? Have raw sugar if white sugar gives you the creeps. That stuff tastes really good in a good cup of coffee. OR, drink it without sugar.

There are also big warnings out about stevia which was touted as safe. NOT, it seems.

Just limit your intake of sugar...

quincy

LS289 10-12-2004 02:11 PM

The thing is, I drink coffee almost everyday and I love to put splenda in it. It makes the coffee a lot sweeter than sugar does, and it has no calories. Also, it does not cause an insulin rush like sugar. I just can't imagine not using Splenda at all...

quincy 10-12-2004 02:53 PM

The body still doesn't use splenda.....and it still causes the body to release insulin (but there's nothing to use it up on!).

Your decision, of course.....I'd NEVER touch the stuff!!

If you can't imagine life without it.....it's your choice to endure the consequences. But, if your body releases histamines already from consuming it (with physical changes and warnings) and you continue...maybe one day it will be a reaction you can't stop.

Worth it to you? At least you'll know it was a conscious decision.

quincy

Machaon 10-12-2004 03:00 PM

[QUOTE=LS289]The thing is, I drink coffee almost everyday and I love to put splenda in it. It makes the coffee a lot sweeter than sugar does, and it has no calories. Also, it does not cause an insulin rush like sugar. I just can't imagine not using Splenda at all...[/QUOTE]

We are all different. Some probably can consume Splenda or Aspartame all their lives, while others might have problems with it.

If I consume a wee bit too much sugar, aka: carbohydrates, I suffer from increase heart arrhythmias and difficulty breathing. I was having a problem with Aspartame also, so at current, I am almost only drinking water. It's not as bad as it sounds. I can have water on the rocks, or straight up. Or...... I can drink it out of the bowl like the dog does.

I just picked up some Splenda, and am going to try to make some lime or lemonaid with it. (Update: Had ill effects from Splenda also.)

LS289 07-28-2005 06:29 PM

I know that sucralose, aspartame, and every kind of fake sugar is not "recommended" and some of you are vehemently opposed to them, but my question is not whether or not it is good for me or natural, it is whether or not I am ALLERGIC to it. I picture a food allergy as something very severe and obvious...like the scene in Mrs. Doubtfire where he eats the Cayenne pepper and immediatly can't breathe.

Can a food allergy be more discreet than that? I sometimes find my breathing a little shorter after I've chewed a few pieces of sugarless gum. My tongue a little bit "funny" feeling after drinking coffee with splenda...just little things. But they are all starting to add up and make me curious.

What do you thinK??? Am I allergic?

Titchou 07-28-2005 07:07 PM

Are you allergic to chlorine? Splenda is distilled with it...hence, I stay away from the stuff as I am allergic to chlorine. I am allergic to aspartame so I just stay away from all synthetic sugars.

kerry1 07-29-2005 07:58 AM

I've heard absolute horror stories about aspartame (Nutrasweet). I wouldn't touch any of the other fake sugars either, including Splenda, Sorbitol, or any of them. REAL sugar (sucrose) for me or nothin'. I might touch high-fructose corn syrup once in a while, since it's hard to avoid. People have been eating regular sugar for centuries, so we pretty much know all the harm it can do, but we DON'T know everything about the fake ones. It's so much easier to just NOT USE THEM, EVER.

storm12 07-29-2005 10:01 AM

I have definite problems with Splenda. My acid reflux issues come up almost immediately when I consume Splenda, and I get bloated, too. It's not worth the pain.

sneezydiva 07-30-2005 07:42 AM

To answer you question, yes, mild food allergies can be very subtle and difficult to detect at times. I have some confirmed food allergies that were only affecting my sinuses, no tongue swelling or anything. But lips, tongue tingling is a classic food allergy symptom, as well as SOB. My advice would be not to use it for a few days and see what happens.

littlejmb 07-30-2005 08:00 AM

I too believe you have an allergy to Splenda. It isn't bad right now, but with continued use, it will get worse, most likely. Aspartame has always irritated my stomach (making it feel like I am starving and hurt). When Splenda came out, I was excited, thinking it wouldn't bother me. Well, I have found that it actually makes me nauseated. When the new Diet Coke came out with Splenda, I bought two twelve packs of them, and every one I drank made me nauseated afterwards, so I gave them all away. Something about the fake sugars just don't agree with my stomach and I am not sure why!

EKERJSEA 08-16-2005 09:21 AM

i just read an article yesterday fom dr mercolla on splenda & read many forums of people with a variety of health issues from splenda. i threw out mine & will hopefully see an improvement in my symptoms soon. my symptoms are; lightheaded, headaches, tingling tongue, major anxiety, tiredness, difficulty concentrating, hot flashes. there are many different symptoms suffered by other people like rashes which i did not get. its worth reading about.