It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
(female)

ahimsa HB User
Hello... Anyone with hives due to dust mites?

Hi, I am new to this discussion group. I have Googled for allergy related dicussion groups and this one here seems to be the most active and useful that I have found.

I will try to keep this short. There is way too much history so there is no way I can tell my whole story.
I have had chronic, though fairly infrequent bouts of hives over the last three years. The episodes get progressively worse each time. The biggest problem is that I don't know what is causing them. I do have an allergy doctor, thank god, and he is great. I have had some testing (including RAST, but also some autoimmunity and other special tests). I am on several different antihistamines, and my Dr. and I are continuing the "investigation" - my next appointment is Nov 18 to review the latest blood test results.

So far, the only RAST test that has come back positive is for dust mites. I consider it to be a clue but not an obvious root cause. When I look back at my history, some of it is consistent with a dust mite allergy, but some of it is not. (Again, too many details to include here, please just trust me.) My Dr. agrees with me - he is not convinced that dust mite allergy is solely responsible for the hives, though it might be a contributing factor.

Have any of you had hives due to dust mite allergy? If so, did you have any other allergic symptoms? For me, the only reaction is the hives. No sneezing, itching runny nose, itchy eyes, etc.

I am going crazy with dust mite control simply because they *might* be causing my hives. I basically spend all of my free time these days cleaning, vacumming, washing all bedding 2x per week with hot water and a special additive, covering and cleaning furniture, filtering air, dehumidifying, etc.... All this, and I am not certain that any of it is helping.

Please post if you have had hives due to dust mites.

Thanks so much,
Kristi

The following user gives a hug of support to ahimsa:
toni goodwill (08-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2004, 07:24 PM   #2
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User
Re: Hello... Anyone with hives due to dust mites?

yes you are not alone!
I have suffered from allergies/sensitivities to all kinds of things, including dust mites, ever since I was a baby & had my first reaction to diapers & had to be potty trained at 9 months.
At first it was only skin allergies, and they were bad. Saw many many doctors & tried hundreds of treatments for all the skin allergies(I have a lot of diff kinds of skin allergies! hives, atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, seborheiic dermatitis) but there are a few treatments that stick out as being the best.
For my scalp there is nothing like Capex shampoo(steroid shampoo). Works amazing. Combined with Cormax it does a great job of keeping stubborn falre ups under control. For my rashes, Psorcon ointment is great. I take Clarinex daily & that helps tremendously. I am allergic to dust & it does cause me rashes- but the daily Clarinex changed my life as far as skin allergies go. No kidding. That and environmental changes- all hardwood floors & air filters, etc. Dust proofing the house as much as possible.
Another thing- you mentioned YOU are doing the cleaning, silly, that's where your problems are coming from. Vacumming stirs up dust. Hire a cleaning lady, we did this & she does a great job of keeping the house spotless & we tell her to concentrate on the dust. Or else have someone else do it for you. Make sure it is a HEPA filter one also.
I do have other allergy symptoms that often coincide with my skin allergies. Like right now my scalp psoriasis is flaring up & so is my asthma & sinuses. I have moderate asthma, allergy triggered ETD & hay fever. My skin problems went into remission for a few years before the other allergy problems popped up. Apparently if you have skin allergies, you have 80-up% chance of getting hay fever, and 50-up% chance of getting asthma later in life.
do some research on dust proofing your home & don't do anymore cleaning yourself.
good luck
also wanted to add- might want to stop dehumidifying. Humidifier is the only way I can live a normal life, since we had a central one installed & we run one in my room if i'm having allergy problems. Skin that is sensitive NEEDS moisture. Make sure you are using Cetaphil lotion withing 5 minutes of toweling off from the shower(least likely to cause ar eaction lotion). So turn that humidifier back on- dry air is the most irritating thing for sensitive skin!

Last edited by Blondee15; 10-28-2004 at 07:27 PM.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:08 PM   #3

LaurenKeebs HB User

See the discussion on dermatographism...do you experience any of this? If you lightly scratch yourself do you break out into hives? Sure, it might be dust mites...or just anything that comes in contact with your skin. Does it itch from the inside?

Old 10-29-2004, 09:46 AM   #4
(female)

ahimsa HB User

Hi Blondee, thanks so much for posting and for all the recommendations and information. The suggestion of hiring a cleaning service is one I hadn't considered, but it's a great idea.

It's weird - I have had hay fever in other places I have lived, but I have not had any in my current location, where I have lived for 10 years. My only allergy problem now is the hives. It's probably just a matter of time before some hay fever kicks in.

Take care and best of luck with your skin issues - sounds much more miserable than mine.

Kristi

Old 10-29-2004, 09:58 AM   #5
(female)

ahimsa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenKeebs
See the discussion on dermatographism...do you experience any of this? If you lightly scratch yourself do you break out into hives? Sure, it might be dust mites...or just anything that comes in contact with your skin. Does it itch from the inside?
Hi Lauren, thanks for posting. No, fortunately I can sratch my itches with no ill consequence. And I do think that my reaction is systemic, not from contact, due to the locations where the hives occur. You used an interesting description about itching from the inside - yes, that's exactly how it feels. It's like a deep itch.

I have been following the thread about dermatographism - what a nightmare. I think I have read a few people post that over time their hives have gone through the spectrum of different types, like dermatograhpism, cold urticaria, cholinergic urticaria, etc. It's a heads up for me that these other types might be in my future.

Thanks again,
Kristi

For other folks, I would love to hear any other stories about hives due to dust mites. Please post if you can, thanks.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:17 AM   #6
(male)

wood4stl HB User

Hi Kristy

My name is Dave, and I have had the same problem for like 10 years. The hives always start as a single small red hive and then they rapidly spred all over my body, and grow to about the size of a half a dollar, and always at night. They try to clear up during the day. But when the evening comes, it starts all over again. I was going crazy!!!

I knew it was dust mites that was causing this problem. I am not allergic to anything else. So I changed my mattress and pillows, replaced all the carpet in my house with hardwood floors, bought new furniture, replaced the air filter with a hyper allergenic filter. The hives went away. Hurray!!!

I was hive free for three years, untill 3 weeks ago when some very bad storms came through my area and the power went out for 6 days. After the storm, the weather turned very hot and humid, well without the A/C it was just to hot to stay at my house. My wife and I ended up staying at my sister-in-law's, during the power outage. BAD, BAD, BAD!!! She has carpet thru-out her house. and who knows when the air filter was changed last. Oh my gosh it happen again. Hive, hives, hives everwhere. Total misery!!!!! So it was either the hot house or the hive house. What a choice!!! Well we've been back home for 2 weeks now and I am feeling much much better.

It is definetly Dust Mites, but not really the dust mites, but there fisces, yep mite crap is what we are allergic to, not the mites.

I take claritin for my symtoms, it seems to help a little bit, but the best way to combat these little critters is to elimenate the places the live in, old mattresses, pillows, carpet, furniture, and filters.

Well Kristy, my heart goes out to you, I know what you are going through. I have been there.

God Bless and Good Luck

Dave

The following user gives a hug of support to wood4stl:
toni goodwill (08-14-2011)
Old 08-10-2006, 12:23 AM   #7
(male)

wood4stl HB User
Post Re: Hello... Anyone with hives due to dust mites?

Hi Kristy

My name is Dave, and I have had the same problem for like 10 years. The hives always start as a single small red hive and then they rapidly spred all over my body, and grow to about the size of a half a dollar, and always at night. They try to clear up during the day. But when the evening comes, it starts all over again. I was going crazy!!!

I knew it was dust mites that was causing this problem. I am not allergic to anything else. So I changed my mattress and pillows, replaced all the carpet in my house with hardwood floors, bought new furniture, replaced the air filter with a hyper allergenic filter. The hives went away. Hurray!!!

I was hive free for three years, untill 3 weeks ago when some very bad storms came through my area and the power went out for 6 days. After the storm, the weather turned very hot and humid, well without the A/C it was just to hot to stay at my house. My wife and I ended up staying at my sister-in-law's, during the power outage. BAD, BAD, BAD!!! She has carpet thru-out her house. and who knows when the air filter was changed last. Oh my gosh it happen again. Hive, hives, hives everwhere. Total misery!!!!! So it was either the hot house or the hive house. What a choice!!! Well we've been back home for 2 weeks now and I am feeling much much better.

It is definetly Dust Mites, but not really the dust mites, but there fisces, yep mite crap is what we are allergic to, not the mites.

I take claritin for my symtoms, it seems to help a little bit, but the best way to combat these little critters is to elimenate the places the live in, old mattresses, pillows, carpet, furniture, and filters.

Well Kristy, my heart goes out to you, I know what you are going through. I have been there.

God Bless and Good Luck

Dave

Last edited by wood4stl; 08-10-2006 at 12:29 AM.

Closed Thread