It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2004, 01:53 PM   #1
Inactive

shue HB User
Allergies and speech disorders?

Anyone heard of this connection?
We have just begun the candida diet, as well as multiple vitamin supplements, for my child who has autism and while I was researching that, I came across some materials that claim a connection between allergies, nutrition, and certain speech disorders, primarily dyspraxia. My other daughter has dx of apraxia but I suspect dyspraxia as well (or possibly in lieu of). Anyway, if anyone can offer information to debunk or substantiate this connection, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Allergies and speech disorders?

I had pronunciation problems when I was younger. We suspect that it was due to frequent inner ear infections caused by allergies when I was learning to speak. Speech therapy was able to correct the problems. I don't know about any other connections, but I know that if children can't hear clearly then they may have difficulty learning to speak correctly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
Veteran

reader1 HB User

Hi, there are a couple of things to think about: as the other poster mentioned, chronic fluid in the ears and/or inflammation due to allergy can certainly impede hearing and therefore may influence speech. Also, children with chronic stuffiness in nose & throat can have difficulty with some sounds if their condition is chronic over a long period of time. If you suspect your daughter has allergies and have not had her tested by an allergiest, it is something to think about. I don't know how old your daughter is or how severe her autism is, but the scratch tests can be kind of traumatic for children. An allergist can do an IgE test (a simple blood test) to determine allergies in lieu of or in addition to a scratch test.

I have seen children with severe allergies exhibit some very bizarre symptoms that are normally atypical of mild-moderate allergies. These include violent behavior, withdrawal. Untreated allergies can also exacerbate many other conditions, so it can make a big difference for children to get appropriate treatment for allergies.

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:27 AM   #4
Inactive

shue HB User

We did not know that the daughter who has been dx'd with apraxia had fluid issues. She never had ear infections. When we had her screened for speech we also went to an ENT and he found fluid in both ears much to my surprise. She had never complained of pain and had no symptoms. We addressed that and we have seen some improvement for sure.
I have not had her tested for allergies. It looks likely that we will however. We have seen a tremendous improvement in her ASD sister since having her tested by and allergist/MD/DAN! doctor, and I am looking forward to seeing what happens once we get this candida diet underway. Anyway, I never knew there could be an allergy/apraxia connection until the other day. There are some crack-pots out there so I was looking for confirmation. We will not do the skin test if I have anything to say about it. Blood draws are bad enough. It is all so dang expensive though and our insurance stinks. That's another thread though. Thanks for the input.

Closed Thread