It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 06:20 AM   #1
(female)

Gab2000 HB User
Red face Candidiasis, Is that what I have???????

Hi!!!
Because of my allergies and sinus infections (3 this year), and chronic congestion, I got the book sinus survival. I'm doing everything the author suggests and eventhough I have had some relief with the daily nasal irrigations, using a humidyfier, an air purifier, and taking a bunch a vitamins, I'm still miserable. I read last night the chapter related to Candidiasis... OMG I THINK THIS IS WHAT I HAVE... I'M SOOOOO SCARED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have taken more than 20 courses of antibitics for the past 5 years for UTI's. This year alone I've taken 3 courses of two weels for sinus infections along with 2 couses of oral cortisols (medrol). I feel really bad an depressed. I think I have candidiasis because of all of my symptoms and the abuse of antibiotics. These are my symptoms:

- Bad allergies, dark circles under my eyes
- 3 sinus infections this year
- Chronic congested nose
- Sensitivities to ALL chemicals, including perfumes
- Headaches, and sinus headaches
- Fatigue, and I'm always sleepy
- IBS - constipation, soft stools, mucus in my stools, increased gas
- sometimes itchy skin and vaginal itch (without discharge)
- Anxiety, depression and obssesive thoughts (Always though since my teens)
- Irritability and mood swings
- Acnee
- Stuffed ears
- PMS

These are all symptoms of candida overgrow. I read there isn't a test to detect it though, so you have to go by the symptoms. I started the candida diet that this book recommends.... what else can I do???? do you think all my health issues are candida related????????? I'm so scared, please help me!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2004, 07:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Candidiasis, Is that what I have???????

It certainly sounds like a yeast/ candida infection. In addition to the anti candida diet that basically drastically reduces all sweets and refined carbs because the yeast thrive on all sugary foods. Also, it is best to take an anti yeast killer and eat yogurt and take a probiotic supplement twice daily to re-balance the friendly bacteria in your GI system.

I have found that the candida/yeast mutates very readily and just one remedy will not work--- you have to rotate the anti yeast drugs or remedies. The perscription drugs that are available are Nystatin, Diflucan, Sporanox and several others.

I have found that you can buy a variety of anti-yeast remedies OTC at health food stores or online. Kolorex from New Zealand is good, Caprylic acid by several companies, Garlic, Pau d'arco, wild oregano oil and there are several others.

There was a study done at the Mayo Clinic of about 200 people in 1997 with chronic sinusitis and they found that 96% of them were caused by various fungus infections and not bacterial infection that are treated w/antibiotics. Also, each had about 3 different fungii and there were 41 different types of fungii. I have a local doctor that makes up a Nystatin/grapefruit seed extract nose spray that really works.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 10-29-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
(female)

Kime HB User

Sounds probable to me, too. I think that avoiding sugar is the most important dietary change. The remedies can help you to get it under control, but if you keep feeding it sugar, it will just regrow again. We would all be better off not eating sugar anyway. Try to avoid the antibiotics; vitamin C can help you avoid antibiotic, look up bowel tolerance of vitamin C for more information about that if you are interested. If you have to take antibiotics there is a product called Floristor that is a good yeast that you can take along with antibiotics that helps to keep the candida down. You can look it up on the internet for more information. You can also take a good multivitamin that has extra B vitamins to help with the stress and lower the anxiety. (B6 also helps with PMS.) Look for one in a health food store where they can advise you on what to take.

Don't be frightened about it. It will take some effort, but you can overcome this problem.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:03 AM   #4
(female)

Gab2000 HB User

Thank you guys! The author of the book recomends Aqua Flora, have you heard of it???
one more question, do you guys suffer from candidiasis, or you just know about it?????

Old 10-29-2004, 11:37 AM   #5
Inactive

hoffta HB User

Before you go crazy with this self-diagnosis, put the darn book away and call the doctor. Are you near a teaching hospital? Call the ENT of one and go see an ENT doctor. I have had many sinus infections over the last year and a half. Every other month I was on high doses of prednisone and levaquin. If your sinuses are infected and you need surgery the infections will reoccur.

Where are you located? Are you near a large city in your state? I can help you find a teaching hospital. I drive two hours to a large city teaching institution for my sinsuses. One of the best hospitals in the US. I am also driving 4 hours in the other direction for spinal surgery.

The sypmtoms you have listed are those for a sinus infection also. You could have many things, but you must remember that sinus infections left alone can make you really, really sick. The first sinus surgery I had three years ago was because I developed a staff infection in my head. I kept going back to my pcp for a sinus infection over a three month period. The medicine was not working. He kept telling me he could handle it, and would not give me a referral to the ENT. When I was finally sent to the ENT, it was an emergency surgery. I was operated on within a week.
Gloria

Old 10-29-2004, 11:57 AM   #6
(female)

Gab2000 HB User

That's exactly what thinking, no to self diagnose... I just made an appointment with the ENT doctor to see what he says.... but I know there is not blood test for candida... right now my left nostril is really stuffy, I have sinus headache... but I'm not tired... I've been feeling better since I don't eat sugar and quit coffee....
well since I don't get thrush or vaginal yeast I may not have it. I suffer from health anxiety badly... and I've been taking antidepressants for it... so it may be all in my mind LOL.....
but it still concerns me... I will continue with the diet, no wheat, dairy, sugar... and taking primal defense... In the mean time I will wait to see the ENT doctor the 8th of November.

Old 10-29-2004, 11:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Gloria
I had sinus surgery and so much of my septum removed that I have to use a nose speader to breath at night. So, some nasal surgery can also present recurring problems.

Last edited by Harry; 10-29-2004 at 11:59 AM.

Old 10-29-2004, 11:58 AM   #8
(female)

Gab2000 HB User

Harry do you have candidisis??? if so what are your symptoms?

Old 10-29-2004, 05:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Good luck finding a doctor that will even CONSIDER the possibility of candidiasis. The three doctors that I've went to have all told me that a systemic candida infection can only occur in the severely immune-compromised or in those with HIV/AIDS, which I KNOW isn't true, but I can't convince the doctors otherwise. I have read that there aren't any accurate tests for candida itself, but on one website I read that you can be tested for acetylhyde in your bloodstream, which isn't in your body naturally, and it's one of the many chemicals that Candida produces, so by testing positive for that, you can assume you have a Candida overgrowth. I strongly recommend staying on the diet you're on, becauase I went back to sugar, developed MORE food allergies than I had before, and am literally living on lettuce, apricots, and pork now, as I became intolerant to everything else, and am wasting away at 105lbs at 5'5". Sorry to sound negative, though, I'm a little depressed about my health right now You are on the right track by staying away from sugar, and as Harry said, you need to rotate your anti-fungals. You WILL get better, but you must put a lot of effort into strictly adhering to diet and staying away from corticosteroids and antibiotics. Also, research and take the proper supplements. Oh, and as others have said, instead of self-diagnosing, rule out any other major health problems first. Good luck
~Katalina

Old 10-29-2004, 06:47 PM   #10
(female)

Gab2000 HB User

I already went to an allergist and have seen my primary doctor many times... It's all allergy... I got blood work, stools test 1 1/2 years ago for my IBS and everything came back normal..... now I'd like to have another blood test just in case.... but my doctor told me I don't need one. See I'm a hypocondriac, literally, according to me I have had HIV, cancer, and all kinds of terminal diseases... and it's always nothing.... I was on antidepressants.... but put on weight and I quit 3 weeks ago.... anyways.... I hope I feel better soon. I have an appointment with the ENT doc the 8th... I'm kind of nervous... I hope everything is fine.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:27 PM   #11
Inactive

hoffta HB User

Harry,

Sometimes you do not have a choice in surgery. Sinus infections left untreated can lead to infections that can cause lesions to go to the brain. My pcp allowed my infection to continue for three months. I was teaching at the time and feel I probably picked up the infection from one of my students. When they did the surgery I had a staff infection in my head. I had no choice and was becoming very sick. They told me I absolutely could not hold off on surgery. Did you have your surgery performed at a teaching hospital? My sinus infections are compounded by severe allergies to most everything in the environment. Have you considered going for an opinion to determine what can be done about your septum. I know my physician at U of Penna. does many revision surgeries on people that have terrible problems with their surgeries.

I have a friend that had sinus cancer at a young age. His sinuses are a mess, but he is lucky to be alive.

Gab
I found this article at the U of PA for you on Sinus Infection. The book I suggested you read on Chronic Sinus Infections is by Dr. Kennedy at the U of PA. He is well known for his work in treating sinus infections.

http://pennhealth.com/ency/article/000647.htm

This is another site on fungal infections. If you indeed have a fungal infection they can be deadly and should best be treated by a board certified and well trained ENT. Sinus surgery is a very serious surgery and if not performed by a competent surgeon can have altering side effects, blindness and brain damage being two of them, among many others.

http://pennhealth.com/ency/article/000649.htm

Old 10-31-2004, 08:21 AM   #12
(female)

Gab2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjzhoff
Harry,

Sometimes you do not have a choice in surgery. Sinus infections left untreated can lead to infections that can cause lesions to go to the brain. My pcp allowed my infection to continue for three months. I was teaching at the time and feel I probably picked up the infection from one of my students. When they did the surgery I had a staff infection in my head. I had no choice and was becoming very sick. They told me I absolutely could not hold off on surgery. Did you have your surgery performed at a teaching hospital? My sinus infections are compounded by severe allergies to most everything in the environment. Have you considered going for an opinion to determine what can be done about your septum. I know my physician at U of Penna. does many revision surgeries on people that have terrible problems with their surgeries.

I have a friend that had sinus cancer at a young age. His sinuses are a mess, but he is lucky to be alive.

Gab
I found this article at the U of PA for you on Sinus Infection. The book I suggested you read on Chronic Sinus Infections is by Dr. Kennedy at the U of PA. He is well known for his work in treating sinus infections.

http://pennhealth.com/ency/article/000647.htm

This is another site on fungal infections. If you indeed have a fungal infection they can be deadly and should best be treated by a board certified and well trained ENT. Sinus surgery is a very serious surgery and if not performed by a competent surgeon can have altering side effects, blindness and brain damage being two of them, among many others.

http://pennhealth.com/ency/article/000649.htm

Thank you so much for the srticle. According to my doctor I don't have infection but imflamation... I'm waiting for my ENT appointment... wish me luck!!

Old 10-31-2004, 11:11 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

I should point out that before everyone starts freaking out, staph infections (secondary) in the sinuses are VERY rare, and usually result from untreated infections that have continued for 6-12 months. Sinus cancer is also very, very rare.

But no one should be afraid of the surgery. It is a cake walk, and can help in a big way. I had to have surgery because of a deviated septum.

But be careful of some of the drugs. Levaquin, Avelox, and Cipro are very dangerous, with horrifying side-effects. If you elect to have surgery, demand Augmentin or another antibiotic. Steer clear of the scary ones.

Old 10-31-2004, 11:15 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

Gab2000,

get the health anxiety under control, or you will start expressing your anxiety symptomatically. Do a google search for health anxiety support. There is a good message board out there.

I dealt with a lot of health anxiety after having a bad reaction to Avelox that ruined my helth for about 6 months (neuropathy, tendinopathy, vasculitis, etc.) I thought I was dying of ALS, HIV, etc. All the tests came back negative, and in retrospect, the anxiety was making my symptoms worse.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:43 PM   #15
(female)

Gab2000 HB User

Hi chiggins!! I think my HA IS what's killing me... I can't stop thinking about the problem in my sinuses and that it may be related to a more seriuos condition than just sinuses and allergies... I'm very scared. I'm in pain right now and have lots of anxiety. I just want to be able to get rid of this sinusitis and allergies. My allergies are really bad this weeked. Itchy nose and eyes... it's killing me... now my sinus presure is worse.... OH god... I'm not feeling well

Closed Thread