It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 09:30 PM   #1

tinab631 HB User
Cough Variant Asthma

Has anyone ever heard of cough variant asthma? That's what I have. Instead of struggling to breath like most sufferrers, I cough when I have an attack. My doctor said it was asthma brought on from the things that I am allergic too. I'm allergic to mold, dusts, cats, dogs, horses, tomatoes, peanuts, apples and of all things... **** roaches (yuk). I don't have any pet cockroaches but I do have a cat that I had before I found out I had asthma (I should know how to spell it since I have it, but I'm not sure).

Also, sometimes I will just have a bad choking spell that just comes out of the blue. I have to run to the bathroom if this happens at work because people think I am choking to death. And when I try to eat anything dry, I choke easily. I'm hoping to meet someone that has this similar problem. Please reply and let me know what you found has helped you. I can't bare to get rid of my cat. I take shots and that helps a lot. I have this all year round. I get no breaks from it. Thanks

Tina

Old 10-29-2004, 10:00 PM   #2
(female)

Countrymouse HB User
Re: Cough Variant Asthma

Hi tina. I cough alot with my asthma too. I don't know if it's the cough variant type though because I also get the shortness of breath and wheezing. My asthma is triggered by my allergies as well. I'm allergic to dogs but have an indoor dog and, like you, I couldn't give her up. I've been lucky that my GP and pulminologist were able to get me on medication that has made it possible for me to tolerate having her inside.

I've had those choking spells before too, not sure what causes them, or what can be done to stop them. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2004, 10:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

My 15 month old son seems to have cough variant asthma. Though he is still too young for an official diagnosis, he has all the signs according to the ped.

His is usually triggered by allergies and worst of all, viral infections. If he gets a little URI, he will cough so much he throws up or turns blue around the mouth and fingers. After he recovers from the coughing spells, (by the time I get him to the doc!!) his oxygen saturation is excellent. Isn't that the way it goes sometimes?? He has never had any type of wheezing or shortness of breath, and most of the time he is just fine and LOUD. He has a great set of lungs.

I would be interested in knowing more about it myself!
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 10-29-2004 at 10:59 PM.

Old 10-29-2004, 11:11 PM   #4
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

I have cough variant asthma, it's treated with the same medications as regular asthma, only with lots of cough suppressants(tessalon perles, robutussin w/ codeine, both things I have at any given time at home for coughing), also use a humdifier in the room(helps tremendously). I find albuterol makes things worse but xopenex often does the trick. Really this is all that can be done, control the asthma itself & allergies, & then add cough suppressants. Tessalon perles are nice b/c they are non addicting.

Old 10-29-2004, 11:15 PM   #5
Inactive

hoffta HB User

I find that I begin to cough before I get to the out of breath syndrome..If I use my inhaler than it helps and the coughing stops. I use proventil...also have lots of allergies.

Old 10-29-2004, 11:24 PM   #6
(female)

Countrymouse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondee15
... also use a humdifier in the room(helps tremendously).
My dr. seems to go back and forth between saying I should use a humidifier or a vaporizer. Do you keep the humidifier in the bedroom? I bought a cool moisture humidifier but haven't set it up yet.

Old 10-30-2004, 03:35 PM   #7
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

i've used both actually. the most effective is a vaporizer(with no medication). the warm steam REALLY loosens your coughs. I use that as a treatment(can't use it for too long, it gets toooo damp in the room & things get moldy & anything not tacked down falls off my walls lol), so I use that only when i'm real bad. a cool mist humidifer is more of a longterm thing, that can actually be in my room without wrecking havoc for more than a few days hehe.

Old 01-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #8
(female)

mrdtuck HB User

I am so excited to hear that I am not alone. I have the same coughing problem. I cough at night and always in mornings when I awake. I too have to run to the restroom at work and hope that no one hears me gasping for air and choking. I have been reading about the cough variant Asthma but have not consulted a doctor. Everyone is recommending humidifiers which is a huge concern for me. My husband has severe dust mite allergies and needs a dehumidifier to keep the air as dry as possible. Not sure how I will proceed at this time. Thanks for the helpful information!

Closed Thread