It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2004, 07:59 AM   #1
(female)

storm12 HB User
food sensitivity test

I have a new dr who is suggesting the idea that some of my problems with allergies, asthma, acid reflux, and some other digestive difficulties may be due to food sensitivities. As soon as it freezes outside and the allergens out there die down, she wants me to go off Advair for a couple weeks so I can get a food sensitivity blood test. Is it worth it? I am willing to give up whatever things end up being bothersome if it means I'll feel better than I have been. Any thoughts?

Last edited by storm12; 11-03-2004 at 08:00 AM.

Old 11-03-2004, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

croppingmom HB User
Re: food sensitivity test

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm12
I have a new dr who is suggesting the idea that some of my problems with allergies, asthma, acid reflux, and some other digestive difficulties may be due to food sensitivities. As soon as it freezes outside and the allergens out there die down, she wants me to go off Advair for a couple weeks so I can get a food sensitivity blood test. Is it worth it? I am willing to give up whatever things end up being bothersome if it means I'll feel better than I have been. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
(female)

croppingmom HB User
Question Re: food sensitivity test

I am taking my 5 year old son to an allergest next week for the first time. His pediatrition said there was really so reason to since the allergy meds had such an umbrella of what they give relief for. He is currently taking Zyrtec and Flovent, Albuteral when needed. However, I don't notice a difference with his asthma and think it could be set off by an allergy. Tried taking him off dairy for a week boy that was hard. I did notice however that when he started drinking his daily glasses of milk that the wet cough came back. This got me thinking it could be an allergy. Any advice or questions I should ask the doc. I know they will do the allergy testing for dust, pollens, dander, but do you have to spesifically ask for food allergy testing.
Thanks

Old 11-04-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
(female)

ahimsa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by croppingmom
I am taking my 5 year old son to an allergest next week for the first time. His pediatrition said there was really so reason to since the allergy meds had such an umbrella of what they give relief for. He is currently taking Zyrtec and Flovent, Albuteral when needed. However, I don't notice a difference with his asthma and think it could be set off by an allergy. Tried taking him off dairy for a week boy that was hard. I did notice however that when he started drinking his daily glasses of milk that the wet cough came back. This got me thinking it could be an allergy. Any advice or questions I should ask the doc. I know they will do the allergy testing for dust, pollens, dander, but do you have to spesifically ask for food allergy testing.
Thanks
I don't know what is typical, but when I had my first RAST testing, my allergist said he had a standard "starter" set that included the most common food allergens, like milk, eggs, fish, peanuts, soy, etc. along with the pollens, molds, dust mites, etc. I didn't have to ask for it. In subsequent tests he was willing to have me tested for things that I specifically asked about. He just had to check the appropriate boxes on the lab form.

I recommend being vocal - don't be afraid to ask for anything that you suspect is a possible allergen. The doctors can't be effective at solving these mysteries without our input. Best of luck.

Old 11-05-2004, 05:23 AM   #5
(female)

croppingmom HB User

Thank You, will double check what test he will be doing to make sure it covers food allergies.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:22 PM   #6

pamperedglitter HB User

I have had both Blood test (Rast) and skin ***** test done on my son. He had more sensitivity to the skin test.

If your son starts the cough after resuming the milk, I would leave it off. It may not show up as an allergen on the Rast test. But it may show some sensitivity to the skin test. It sounds like a delayed allergic response. What happens to eczema and asthma triggers.

My son has an allergy to milk that shows up on the skin test. Negative on the Rast. His milk allergy is very mild Class 1. If he eats too much milk products his eczema flairs up. He is very allergic Class 4 to peanuts. Also high positive on the Rast for peanuts.

So, If you have the Rast and it is negative he could still have a mild response.

Old 11-05-2004, 01:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

storm12,
I absolutely DO suggest that you go for the allergy sensitivity testing. It is WORTH it. Even though you are on these medications, if you have food sensitivities, your body is in constant stress mode trying to clear toxins out, and without the toxic overload of things that set your body off, you WILL feel better all over. There is a difference though between allergy tests. There are RAST tests that just measure IgE allergies, and sensitivities and allergies are NOT the same thing, so things you are sensitive or intolerant to may NOT show up on this test. I've heard that skin testing is more sensitive for food allergy testing, but there is also another test called an ELISA test. It is super-sensitive and measures not only IgE mediated allergic responses, but also IgG intolerances. Some even SAY it's TOO sensitive. Hopefully your doctor wants to do this type of test, and if not, maybe you should request it. Oh, by the way, BOTH ELISA and RAST tests are blood tests, but the ELISA test is the one that tests for intolerances as well as true allergies. I also have allergies, acid reflux, and asthma, and one of the BIGGEST causes of my asthma and acid reflux, especially, were food intolerances. You can actually find out what your food allergies/intolerances are by yourself, by doing an elimination diet, too, if you'd like. Good luck with everything.
~Katalina

Old 11-08-2004, 08:32 AM   #8
(female)

storm12 HB User

Thanks! I have another appointment with this doctor tomorrow, so I will clarify which test she intends to have done. I've also just talked to a friend who is nurse, and she thinks it would be a good idea to go ahead and get tested as well.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:37 PM   #9
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Storm12, your doctor sounds smart and thorough! Keep him!! I would definitely advise you to get food sensitivity testing, or else do your own food-elimination test. I took so many drugs before I found that dairy and fruit juice were making me sick (congested, dizzy, ear infections, sinus infections, etc.). Soy milk bothered me too. Now I feel fine. Vitamin C supplements help me a lot, too. All those drugs just weakened my immune system.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:15 PM   #10

charleyhorse HB User

I was wondering if it is typical for food allergies/sensitivities to be constantly changing. I've had allergy skin tests done many, many times over the last 10 years and every time the reactions to food items are completely different. It almost seems like a sensitize to whatever I eat a lot of. I started chowing down on corn bran cereal every morning for breakfast and on my last test I was positive for corn for the first time. Does this sound usual? If you are doing an elimination diet, where do you start?

Old 11-09-2004, 10:29 AM   #11
(female)

storm12 HB User

She seems good (my doctor) (although she won't seem to consider a thyroid possibility - which I won't go into right now). The test she wants to run is Immuno 1 Bloodprint. Looking at the literature, it looks like ELIA is involved. I have to see if my insurance comapny will pay (for at least the majority of the cost) before I get it done. It says it is a food sensitivity assay, and tests for IgG. The brocheres talk about foods that are very healthy for some people, but for others are toxic.

I know that I have issues with cheese and dairy already - my rosacea flares, acid reflux, worsening asthma. But what if I do this, and nothing shows up?

Old 11-09-2004, 06:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

charleyhorse,
You are correct about developing sensitivities to things you eat often. I think that's why dairy and wheat are the most common allergens- because in America, we eat those things everyday and milk and wheat ingredients are in practically everything! I think those of us that are prone to sensitivities have only a certain threshold for certain foods, and if you keep eating that food over and over your body "attacks" and thinks it's something that's not supposed to be there, and your body forms antibodies against the food and you are now "allergic." At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works. I suggest doing a Google or Yahoo search for an allergy elimination diet. Basically, you start by eliminating all of the most common food allergens at once, which are milk, wheat, soy, dairy, shellfish, sugar, citrus, and I think, tree nuts. You find other healthy replacement foods in that period of time so you don't starve to death (), and then, you slowly add back those foods, one group at a time to measure your reactions. Since your body is free of those allergens for all that time, you will certainly have a reaction if you are sensitive. I THINK you do the elimination diet for six weeks, but it might not be that long, I'm not sure. A reaction can be anything from hot ears and cheeks, to a feeling of anxiety, to asthma, to itchiness, etc. You know your own body and can judge whether or not you're sensitive to the food after it being eliminated for a period of time. Good luck, it really helps.
~Katalina

Old 11-10-2004, 09:31 PM   #13

charleyhorse HB User

Thanks Katalina - that gives me a place to start. I saw a dietician a couple years ago when I developed a serious reaction to baker's yeast. She was pretty helpful so maybe I'll see if I can get a referal again. It just seems a little overwhelming trying to get it all sorted out. I appreciate your help.

Closed Thread