It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2004, 05:34 AM   #1

KarenBeth HB User
Palpatations from Cat Allergies? What do you think?

I asked this question also on the heart board....

I know this may be a little far fetched, and if I am right I hope someone will let me know.. I have had cats off and on through many of the houses I have lived in. I am allergic to cat and kitten dander. I get the itchy eyes, all congested, sneezing really bad and so on. Every time I have had a cat, I have had an issue with palps.. well I have had more and more palps (PVC's) the past month and my cat has kittens running around..

Could Allergies to the cats and kittens be a trigger in PVC's (Palps)??

Old 11-05-2004, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Re: Palpatations from Cat Allergies? What do you think?

I also have bad allergies, and when my allergies aren't under control, which is often, I also get heart palpitations. I am EXTREMELY allergic to cat dander, and have four cats, which the members of my household will not get rid of. (And even though they are detrimental to my health, I don't think I could get rid of them, either, to be honest). To me, it seems as though the heart palpitations are caused because more adrenaline is being released to fight the allergens. But yes, I have had heart palpitations when my allergies get really bad for years now, since I was a little kid, and I have no heart problems whatsoever.
~Katalina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

That is called anxiety. When your allergies are bothering you, you get anxiety about it and that is when the Palpitations come. Happens to me all the time.

Halls

Old 11-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #4

KarenBeth HB User

Well I never get anxiety about allergies.. I am fine dealing with allergies.. but my whole family seems to think that all my problems with palps have been when I have had cats in the house..

Thanks for your resposes.. it's becoming more evident that I need to get the cats out of the house and give this house a good cleaning.. I don't know

Old 11-05-2004, 04:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halls
That is called anxiety. When your allergies are bothering you, you get anxiety about it and that is when the Palpitations come. Happens to me all the time.

Halls
The body's endocrine system normally responds, to an allergy attack, by pumping chemicals (hormones) into the bloodstream, such as adrenaline. These chemicals can cause the heart to misfire, which can result in PVCs, PACs, Palpitations or tachycardia. This happens to a lot of people.

Another "possible" side effect of the increased hormones, such as adrenaline, in the bloodstream, is anxiety.

So..... the allergic individual must determine which came first. Did a person's stress and/or anxiety, in some cases, cause the endocrine system to pump more hormones, making a person's anxiety worse, or did the allergy attack cause an increase in hormones pumped by the endocrine system, which may or may not cause anxiety, or an increase in anxiety, or a combination of both?

Everyone is different and has different reactions to stress, anxiety, allergens, irritants, and increased levels of hormones in their bodies.

The bottom line: People with allergies often experience heart beat irregularities because their body's endocrine systems reacts to the allergy attack by pumping additional hormones into the body.

Last edited by Machaon; 11-05-2004 at 04:56 PM.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

HMMM Beerzoids, I did not know that. Interesting, I stand corrected, i was wrong. I get palpitations a lot, but mine are usually caused by stress so i always assume it is axiety, and believe me bad allergies can cause stress! I know all about it, LOL!

Halls

Old 11-06-2004, 02:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

I definitely know the difference between heart palpitations caused by anxiety, and heart palpitations caused by something else because I could be lying in a hot bathtub with candles lit, as calm and serene as ever, reading a book, and my heart will be beating extra fast/I'll have heart palpitations if say, I didn't take my allergy medication that day or I was petting one of the cats or vaccuuming up fur. Anxiety is a common occurrence, but anxiety seems to be turning into one of those catch-all phrases for every kind of ailment there is.

Old 11-07-2004, 05:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice1221
I could be lying in a hot bathtub with candles lit, as calm and serene as ever, reading a book, and my heart will be beating extra fast
Could the book, or the book's ink, or the slight smoke from the candles, be contributing to your heart beating problems?

Quote:
Anxiety is a common occurrence, but anxiety seems to be turning into one of those catch-all phrases for every kind of ailment there is.
I agree with you. Doctors want an easy answer to their patient's problems. If a doctor can blame the patient's ailment on the patient, by saying that the patient's problems are caused by child rearing, or stress, or tension, or anxiety, then the doctor can collect his high fee, and not have to solve the patient's health problems. It works!

You indicated that you have "severe food & environmental allergies". Would you mind posting a little summary of what happens to you, and when it happens? When you encounter something that triggers a bad reaction, how long does that bad reaction last?

I react to almost anything, from materials, inks, dyes, old books, newspaper ink, smoke, processed foods, food preservatives, various chemicals, cleaners, dust, etc. My main problems, from encounters with these things, are heart rhythm problems, difficulty breathing and high blood pressure.

Old 11-07-2004, 09:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

beerzoids,
I developed these food and environmental allergies about...oh...almost a year ago, after I was sick with the flu and pleurisy last January. I never really recovered. Before that though, I was having major low blood sugar episodes, even though I was eating plenty, and that also got worse for a months after last January, but now that has pretty much cleared up and I have other symptoms instead. My symptoms vary depending on what I am exposed to. I have some severe food allergies that I never had before, and I have many, many intolerances. The intolerances generally cause symptoms such dizziness, cold sweats, stomach problems, major fatigue, and nausea, but when exposed to some other foods, my blood pressure drops dangerously low, I sweat, am extremely fatigued, have heart palpitations, and shake, and have had to get Epi-Pen shots a couple of times because of this. But, I have been tested for IgE allergies, and have only a couple, so these reactions are actually NOT IgE mediated. Throughout the day, I suffer from severe nasal allergies (I can HONESTLY say that I have not been able to smell out of my nose since last year, only a little tiny bit once in a while), my asthma and other general allergies are MUCH worse (I've always had bad allergies my entire life, but now they're terrible), I suffer from periods of fainting or feeling suddenly faint, a feeling of major fatigue, joint achiness, IBS with constipation, and lots of gas. All of this will resolve for a few days as long as a food doesn't set me off. Oh, heart palpitations are a part of all of that, also. I have many other symptoms, but I'll spare you from all that reading. I am also severely sensitive to cigarette smoke now. I actually smoked for 6 years, until last January, when I quit because I HAD to (and am now glad I did.) Now, anytime I'm around cigarette smoke, I get dizzy, faint, heart palpitations, and surprisingly, a stomachache. Gasoline bothers me a lot, also. I get very faint at gas stations when refilling my tank. I am also allergic to most preservatives and dyes in foods, so I avoid those at all costs, especially MSG, as I've recently found out. The severity and length of my reactions vary depending on what I'm reacting to, but if it's food, it's usually at least 3 days before I can even MOVE if it's a reaction where it required and Epi-Pen. Other times, it will last about 8-12 hours, and I'll feel a little better. If I'm exposed to cigarette smoke, the entire next day I'll feel so fatigued and just generally ill, and the same with gasoline/exhaust. My boyfriend is always working on his 1979 Z28 Camaro and boy does that set me off if I'm outside. The motor is almost as old as the car is, and boy does it stink: ) I try to help him, but I always end up going inside. I hope my response was helpful, it would be really interesting to talk to you more about this.
~Katalina

Last edited by Solstice1221; 11-07-2004 at 09:15 PM.

Closed Thread