It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2004, 09:14 AM   #1

Tantamae HB User
Exclamation peanut allergy in 11 month, any advise?

I will post this on the Childrenís health board also.
One of my supervisorís grandson (11 months) had severe reaction while at day care. After having some (mostly) playing with it, peanut butter, he got hives, started to swell and had trouble breathing. They treated him for peanut allergy and he is seeing a pediatric allergist. Any advise, this is the mom 1st child and of course she is worried and so grandma!
Has any one heard about allergy shots for peanut allergies

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: peanut allergy in 11 month, any advise?

Two of my nephews have bad peanut allergies.

It is scary. I don't believe that there are any injections to desensitize the reaction to peanuts, either.

My sister-in-law gives special instruction to all who have care of her children: day care provider, teachers, etc. All other parents with children in the same classes as my nephews have also been advised of this severe allergy, and are asked not to send treats containing peanuts to school/day care. Of course, this doesn't totally solve the problem, as many people just don't understand how severe the allergy is.

Both of the boys (aged 6 and 9) have been taught not to eat anything unless an adult tells them it is OK to do so. The older boy reads ingredients before consuming anything, and knows not to eat it unless he's 100% sure it's safe. They also carry Epi-pens with them, in case a reaction would occur.

It is most definately scary, but nothing that can't be dealt with with some education.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2004, 10:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

My son has peanut allergy. There is nothing you can do, but keep the child away from Peanuts and carry and EpiPen all the time! I have one for myself and my son. They can help save the child if the child gets a hold of anything w/nuts. Fortunately my son is now 2 and a half and we have managed to get him this far w/no real serious incidences. He knows to stay away from anything w/nuts and hates Peanut Butter, so he pretty much stays away from it all anyhow. Anything that has nuts in it in my home I move it in a place where my DS can't get it. Like Halloween candy. As soon as we got home we removed all the candy that had nuts in it and threw it away. The jar of peanut Butter we have is put up high and away from any reach of kids. You just have to take caution w/anyone and everyone who watches your kids so that they won't ever come into contact w/Peanuts. It is really easy. We've gone a year and a half and no problems. It is scary though so take all precautions!

Halls

Old 11-09-2004, 09:26 PM   #4

red75 HB User

Unfortunately..There are no vaccinations currently for peanut or nut allergies.
I myself am dangerously allergic. The allergy has only gotten worse with age, not better. My advice is to avoid any kind of nut at all cost!! Remove products from the home that contain nuts that the baby may eat. Do not eat nuts and then touch, hug, kiss the baby. My husband ate a few mixed nuts as a snack,, he washed his hands,, brushed his teath, everything.. He kissed me and I proceeded to have a reaction.
As far as foods.. Try purchasing foods from kosher establishments.
You can find alot of stores that offer kosher foods on the internet..

Best of luck!!

Old 11-10-2004, 12:12 PM   #5
(female)

ahimsa HB User

On a positive note, it seems general public awareness of peanut allergy danger is increasing steadily. My son's preschool, for example, has a policy posted at the front desk that children may not bring any food to school that contains any peanut, under any circumstances - even if they brought it just for themselves and not to share. Some airlines have similarly stopped serving peanuts as the inflight snack. Food labelling requirements have changed in the last few years too (at least in the US) - disclosure is now required if food was processed in a facility that has used/held peanut in any way - at least that's my interpretation.

There is still a long way to go, but the trend is encouraging.

Closed Thread