It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2004, 07:46 AM   #1

jedoz HB User
Swollen Throat need advice

I have been having lot's of problems since August and still have no answers. It started with shortness of breath and a feeling of a lump in the throat. The Doctor suspected that it was a sinus infection and then treated it with anitbiotics after two rounds of the antibiotics I was still not better, I went for A PFT and chest Xray both were fine. Now I get this swelling of the throat right under my chin, it feels so swollen that when I put my head down to look at my feet I can feel the skin hitting my neck. (hard to explain). I sometimes hear a gurgling/crackling noise and some wheezing too. I do have headaches but no real pressure in my head, I was having some yellow discharge that seems to have gone away a bit since I started the irrigation. I've been paying real close attention to everything I eat to figure out the cause but nothing adds up. My lips also quiver a bit and my arms get a little tingly when this all flares up and I don't think that it's anxiety because I've gotten so use to feeling this way. I did the allergy testing and found out that I'm allergic to Ragweed,Dust and Dog (I do have a dog) but the Allergist doesn't think I even need the dog shot. I do notice that I feel worse when I'm at work but who doesn't I guess. I live in Illinois and since my problems started exactly at ragweed season could that have triggered the rest of my problems? Also when I feel my throat when its swollen it feels a bit tender. I've tried Zyrtec, Allegra, Nasonex, Rhinocort, Allestin, Singulair Nothing is working so I'm not real sure allergies are my problem.. Can sinus problems cause all this? I've never had any problems like this until this Summer/Fall. I have to finish up the new Antibiotics i'm on and then get the CT Scan done, then its off to an ENT. I'm also running on empty financially so I'm getting real desperate. Any advice would be appreciated

Last edited by jedoz; 11-08-2004 at 07:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2004, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran

reader1 HB User
Re: Swollen Throat need advice

It certainly could be sinus related.

Here are a couple of things you can try to help your throat:

--if this is caused by allergy, gargling with liquid benedryl 3x a day may help you see some improvement. I've done that before. Don't swallow the benedryl if you are already taking an antihistamine - spit it out.
--gargling with warm salt water can help loosen any mucus that is clinging to and irritating your throat (and which causes inflammation). You can do this as often as you need to. In really bad times, I have added a couple of tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to a cup of warm salt water (but I don't do that more than twice a day). A nurse at a university med center told me about that once when I had a very bad throat virus.

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2004, 06:11 AM   #3

jedoz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reader1
It certainly could be sinus related.

Here are a couple of things you can try to help your throat:

--if this is caused by allergy, gargling with liquid benedryl 3x a day may help you see some improvement. I've done that before. Don't swallow the benedryl if you are already taking an antihistamine - spit it out.
--gargling with warm salt water can help loosen any mucus that is clinging to and irritating your throat (and which causes inflammation). You can do this as often as you need to. In really bad times, I have added a couple of tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to a cup of warm salt water (but I don't do that more than twice a day). A nurse at a university med center told me about that once when I had a very bad throat virus.

Good luck.

Reader1, Thanks for your advice this has been making me soo depressed that half the time I just feel like crying, I feel that the Dr just keeps blaming it on Anxiety and I know thats not what it is, Anxiety doesn't make your nose stuffy and it certainly doesn't make your throat swell, I guess this is so bothersome because I 've never had any problems before and its just not getting better,its not getting worse either which I'm thankfull for. I'm running out of energy to fight this and my possitive attitude has gone out the window. I just don't know where to go from here, I'm so broke at this point that I can barely pay my bills. Thanks Again I will try the benadryl

Old 11-09-2004, 07:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

My doctor told me that it was allergies that were irritating everything and because of the symptoms and my sensativity to them, I was also experiencing anxiety. This could be because last year I went through the same thing just different symptoms.

Last year just about the same time, I developed a stuffy nose and TMJ. Eventually, it cleared by Thanksgiving. This year, no stuffy nose, just PND and shortness of breath with anxiety.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lillypad HB User

Has anyone suggested testing for thyroid problems? Swollen throat, sinus stuff fatigue can all be symptoms. Just a thought. It is the pits to feel so awful.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:52 PM   #6

jedoz HB User

No bloodwork has been mentioned but I think I may suggest it (I have gotten pretty thin in the last year). I know that allergens can attach to anything and be carried with you but shouldn't I notice some improvement when I'm away from the source? I think the Ragweed should be dead by now we had a light frost in October. I do get a little stuffy inside my home but nothing too bothersome, pretty much the throat problem goes everywhere with me, I feel like I'm gasping for air it really stinks. I even have some tenderness running behind my ears down my neck, I don't know if those are glands or not but I have also noticed my tonsils are a bit enlarged and I have one tonsil stone, do allergies cause that? Like some other newbies on this board I guess its hard to accept it as allergies since it literally hit out of nowhere. I read every post on this board to see if anyone has the same problems as me. I just can't get any relief and its really taking a toll on me I have spent soo much money on OTC meds and scipts that I am broke. To add insult to injury I can't even seem to sleep more than 4 hours at a time which isn't helping matters, Arghhh!

Last edited by jedoz; 11-09-2004 at 01:53 PM.

Closed Thread