It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2004, 01:33 PM   #1

froggy123 HB User
Question latex allergy/sensitivity?

Hello everyone!
I'm hoping that someone can give me some insight as to whats going on. Anyways, my parents and I think that I'm allergic/sensitive to latex. Because ever since I've been on the crutches due to a knee surgery that I had in september, I've been getting this itchy/kinda painful rash on my palms and fingers. When I first started on the crutches, it would take like 12 hours to show up, now the rash shows up in about 4 hours. At first it looks like bubbles under my skin, then the bubbles "rise" so they're like bumps, but still look like bubbles. The bubbles form on top of eachother too. After a day or so, my skin looks orange and there's red dots under the skin - looks like blood vessels or something break. Then the area gets really hard, eventually cracks, and then peels. It's not like a layer of skin that peels, when it peels, the skin underneath is raw, and then it looks like my whole palm is a scar. I've been covering the rubber on my crutches with gauze and cloth tape, but I still get the rash, just not as badly. On Friday, I used crutches at school to use the bathroom, and after bein on them for 5 minutes at the most, I have a full blown rash again. This rash also happened one summer when I had to wear ace bandages on my wrist/hand when I injured it, again when I had to wear a wrist brace, when I use a wrist brace when I'm bowling (which I don't do often because of this rash), and when I've been writing a lot with those pens that have the foamy grips. Also, both in physical therapy when they taped my knee and now after surgery since they taped the sutures, my knee is shiny where the tape was. There's also little bumps for a couple weeks after the tape is removed. During physical therapy, it would be over a month until the skin (shininess) gets back to normal. 2 months after surgery, you can still see the outline of the tape on my knee. I mean a great outline. You can see where the tape ended, all of the criss-crosses, everything. I have an appointment on Friday to see what the doctor says. In the meantime, is there anything that I can do to help the rash?

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2004, 01:39 PM   #2

froggy123 HB User
Re: come to think of it.......

I don't know if this has anything to do with the rash on my palms or latex sensitivities, but since I've been on my crutches, my mom and I have also noticed random red blotchy spots that come and go on my chest, neck, and lower face. Just htought I'd add that.

Old 11-08-2004, 03:12 PM   #3
(female)

ahimsa HB User
Re: come to think of it.......

The rash you describe is very much like what my skin does after poison oak exposure. With all the detail you provided, it sure seems likely that you have an allergy/sensitivity to latex. I would start by calling your regular doctor for advice, and continue your efforts at latex avoidance in the meantime. The Dr. might have you try hydrocortizone cream on the rash, and perhaps an oral antihistamine like Benedryl or Chlortrimeton (not sure if I spelled these correctly). Please let us know what you find out from your doctor. Good luck! Hopefully, others with latex problems will post with their advice.

Closed Thread