It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2004, 07:57 PM   #1
(male)

Adug HB User
Nasal Problem

I've had this Nasal Congestion for a long time now. I think it's been around 6-8 weeks now. The only symptoms I have are nasal congestion, rare sneezing, and when I sneeze, sometimes the roof of my mouth has this tingly feeling of a sort. The sneezing and tingly mouth feeling are rare though, the nasal dripping/congestion sometimes comes and goes during the day, but when I sneeze or when I get that tingly feeling in my mouth after sneezing, that's when my nose goes into overdrive. I probably get them around once or twice a week. At first I thought it was just my allergies, but my allergy symptoms usually last about 4 days to a week and then they go away. I have a prescription for Allegra for my allergies, and I thought it was my allergies because around the time I got sick, I wasn't taking any of my allegra pills. So I got a refill for my pills, and that didn't work. Then I tried Sudafed Cold & Sinus which helped a lot the last time I got sick, but that didn't work either. I then tried Tylenol Nasal Congestion I think it was called, and that helped, but I was still sick. I've been trying to go to a doctor, but right now I"m currently unemployed and I have no medical insurance. My family right now is in a financial crisis as I call it, so I don't have any money to see a doctor either. I don't know what else to do. My family says I should probably go out more, but it's fall and it's cold outside. So I came here and wondered if anyone here has any tips or some kind of medicine they can recommend so that my nasal allergies or whatever can go away. I also wanted to get an opinion about something. Because sometimes I take a tissue, roll it up, and sometimes stick it up my nose just to help stop with the dripping, though, I don't really drip a lot, my family says it's a bad thing to do, so I wanted to ask you guys if it's really that bad? I hope someone can help, thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2004, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Nasal Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adug
... I thought it was my allergies because around the time I got sick, I wasn't taking any of my allegra pills. So I got a refill for my pills, and that didn't work. Then I tried Sudafed Cold & Sinus which helped a lot the last time I got sick, but that didn't work either. I then tried Tylenol Nasal Congestion I think it was called, and that helped, but I was still sick. I've been trying to go to a doctor, but right now I"m currently unemployed and I have no medical insurance. My family right now is in a financial crisis as I call it, so I don't have any money to see a doctor either. I don't know what else to do.
If your problems are being caused by a sinus infection, either from bacteria, virus, or from fungus, you might research "upside down sinus floodings", a treatment which costs almost nothing, and can be very effective against infections that are reachable.

To read more, go to the "New 'upside down sinus flooding' documentation" thread under this Allergy subject.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hi there, I have bad nasal congestion, dripping mucus, occasional sneezing...etc. About the sticking the tissue up your nose... if you don't put the whole thing in too much, I guess you won't do much damage. Maybe it might just make your nostrils look bigger? Maybe the medications you are using might not be effective for you anymore? Firstly, you should identify what is actually causing your symptoms. Nasal steroid sprays can help with the nasal congestion but it is usually used on a long term basis if your condition is chronic. Nasal decongestant sprays/drops will help open up the nasal passages temporary and can't be used often but is effective. All the best!

Old 11-14-2004, 03:13 PM   #4

Jupiters008 HB User

I have also had a nasal congestion for about 4 months now, i am not sure what causes it , i do have bad allergies to all kinds of things, such as cats, grass, pollen, dust, ect..i just bought afrin nasal spray and have used it for a couple days and it has worked , but thats only a temporary solution. =(

Old 12-08-2004, 07:38 PM   #5
(male)

Adug HB User

I think the medication doesn't work anymore with me. I just got a refill of Allegra, and I've been taking it for 5 days now and it hasn't helped at all. I've also decided to take Sudafed Nasal Decongestant, but that hasn't helped much either. I've been trying to figure out what's been causing it, and at first I thought it was 3 things, either my 2 dogs, dust, or my normal allergies. I pretty much ruled out my pets and my normal allergies because I've had my dogs for about 3-4 years now, and they've never been a problem, and it can't be my normal allergies, because they usually last 3-6 days while I've had this nasal problem for more than 2 months now. So I think it might be a dust problem I have. A few weeks ago my home was dust clean, and my nose was feeling a bit better, but last week I noticed that some dust was starting to appear around the house, and my nose started acting all up again. Not to mention that I have a very small room, so dust might also build up more in my room. I'm not really sure of all this, which is why I came back here to see what you guys thought about it. My mother is cleaning up the house right now as I speak, but I was wondering if anyone has any kind of medication or something for allergies that might have to do with dust.

Old 12-11-2004, 06:18 AM   #6

Ron HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adug
I think the medication doesn't work anymore with me. I just got a refill of Allegra, and I've been taking it for 5 days now and it hasn't helped at all. I've also decided to take Sudafed Nasal Decongestant, but that hasn't helped much either. I've been trying to figure out what's been causing it, and at first I thought it was 3 things, either my 2 dogs, dust, or my normal allergies. I pretty much ruled out my pets and my normal allergies because I've had my dogs for about 3-4 years now, and they've never been a problem, and it can't be my normal allergies, because they usually last 3-6 days while I've had this nasal problem for more than 2 months now. So I think it might be a dust problem I have. A few weeks ago my home was dust clean, and my nose was feeling a bit better, but last week I noticed that some dust was starting to appear around the house, and my nose started acting all up again. Not to mention that I have a very small room, so dust might also build up more in my room. I'm not really sure of all this, which is why I came back here to see what you guys thought about it. My mother is cleaning up the house right now as I speak, but I was wondering if anyone has any kind of medication or something for allergies that might have to do with dust.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Adug,

Do you have a furnace in the basement which has an air filter which might need more frequent changing?

How about a humidifier which may be badly in need of cleaning? These units
can get clogged with algae/mold and that can be blown around for you to breathe.

Don't rule out the dogs too soon. There is a chance that if they live indoors,
the fact that the house is closed up during cold weather, their dander and hair
can be more concentrated and more likely to blow around. That dust you are seeing is probably more than just dust bunnies.

Last edited by Ron; 12-11-2004 at 06:19 AM.

Old 12-11-2004, 08:55 AM   #7
(male)

Adug HB User

Yeah, in my room the heating vent is directly above my bed. I pretty much spend most of my time in my room. I asked my mom to clean the vent since it's removable and all. Hopefully this nasal problem will go away soon. I had to cancel all my plans today because my nose was acting up, which really sucks.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

It sounds to me like your allergies have probably gotten worse. Most people start out with mild symptoms, and then it progresses to worse symptoms that last much longer. I'd keep taking the Allegra and Sudaphed. You might also want to go get some Nasalcrom. And as soon as you possibly can, see a doctor about your allergies.

Closed Thread