It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 11:19 AM   #1

fiveklewis HB User
allergic to the cold

Anyone allergic to the cold? My youngest daughter has been diagnosed with Cold Induced Urticaria in the last year. Really want to hear from someone who has been through this. How long has yours lasted? Years, months?

Did you eventually move to warmer climate? If not, how do you handle the cold weather?

Old 11-12-2004, 08:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User
Re: allergic to the cold

Hi there, I'm a sufferer of cold urticaria too. I was first diagnosed with chronic idiopathic urticaria and years later, I found out that I had cold urticaria too. Sad to say, I have been living with it ever since. But taking antihistamines daily helps to prevent the hives to break out. I am already living in a warm climate, but it sure doesn't help! Every building nowadays are air-conditioned... that includes transportation, and many more.

If it's winter, let your daughter wear lots of warm clothings, take her medication regularly and have an epipen in hand. I'm not sure if her doctor has given her one but it is critical for people like us if we ever go into anaphylactic shock; it could give us some time before we reach the ER. I always take my jacket along with me wherever I go, in case the place that I go is air-conditioned. You could get a medic alert bracelet for her so in emergencies, the paramedics or doctor can refer to the bracelet.

Other than the cold weather, people with cold urt can even break out on warm weathers! For example getting out of the pool, the rewarming of the skin can cause a reaction. Never let your daughter swim alone and make sure she is wrapped up as soon as she leaves the pool. Btw, does she gets swelling on any parts of her body?

What medications are she taking? Did she has any blood tests done? How did the doctor diagnosed her? How old is she?

All the best to both of you! Let me know if ya need any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2004, 01:03 PM   #3

fiveklewis HB User
Smile Re: allergic to the cold

Thanks for your reply. The doctor diagnosed her based on our observations at home and also the ice patch skin test. She breaks out everywhere. Once, before we realized what was going on, she had hives over her entire body except for the eye area. She looked like the Michelin man!

She was on antihistamines, but now we are trying allergy shots without any medication. We're trying to build up her immune system. She's allergic to everything but cockroaches. She even has a nickel allergy. And she has asthma. There is no guarantee that the shots will work, but we're trying whatever we can. The epipen and the bracelet are a great idea. I'll have to look into that.

We've experienced the pool hives (thought it was the chlorine) and the snow hives (Michelin man). So far, she hasn't gotten hives in air conditioning.

The worst part right now is school. No recess when the temperature is 55 or below, and no Gym outside. It's hard on her. Also, no fire drills during the winter months. Fortunately, our school takes great care of her. She had to give up cheerleading for football also. Her friends don't realize what she goes through. We even have to double check when she's going to a friends and make sure they don't plan on going outside or anything like that. Then people look at you like you're crazy when you tell them she has an allergy to the cold.

Thanks again!

Old 11-13-2004, 02:00 PM   #4

socd HB User

I get hives on my legs and arms and swelling on my hands and feet and a headache coming out of a pool, or when I'm in cold weather. I haven't gone to a doctor about it, after a while it goes away, sometimes I take benydrl.

Old 11-13-2004, 02:29 PM   #5

fiveklewis HB User

See your doctor soon! Coming in and out of the water is most dangerous for someone with CIU if the water is below 76 degrees! You could have an anaphylactic reaction.

Antihistamines don't work for my daughter when she's in the pool. We just have to go to a heated one, or she just doesn't swim if the temperature is below 76.

The doctor also told us that sometimes Cold Induced Urticaria could just be a "symptom" of some other underlying immune system conditon. We get blood work done once a year to rule that out.

Old 11-15-2004, 09:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

Perhaps you can get some brochures or print outs of information about cold urticaria and give out to her friends so that they can understand better. Some kids even stood infront of their class and explain about their condition; sometimes the parent or teacher does it. There are many ways people with cold urt tell others about their condition; some explain that it's a problem with their immune system, blood disorder, even lupus(but doesnt mean that they have it)... So everyone have their own way of explaining and it usually takes time; but sometimes at the end of the day, people just don't get the severity of it.

Ya, cold urt can be a symptom of an underlying condition and that usually goes for those with chronic urt. It may be an infection like a root canal, sinus infection, or autoimmune problems like lupus, thyroid problems, etc.

Sometimes cold urticaria has been associated with abnormal proteins; patient's serum contains cryoglobulins or cryofibrinogen. These abnormal proteins may be associated with a serious underlying disorder (eg, malignancy, collagen vascular disease, chronic infection). Cold urticaria is often found to be due to infection.

Good luck!

Closed Thread