It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 04:44 PM   #1

saltine_cracker HB User
Urticaria...please help!!!!!!

I was diagnosed with having urticaria and dermatographia...
It all started about 5 months ago with itching on my hands and feet and has since turned into red rashes that appear and then disappear.
I went to a doctor yesterday that made me cry the whole way home....he was a dermatologist...and he came in stroked my back with his pen and then said you have a genetic defect called urticaria there is no cure, gave me a phamplet and sent me on my way.
I am seeing an allergist too, who seems more concerned with everything.
I do have a ton of allergies....and about a year ago started living with a dog.
Do you think the dog could be causing this? Could it be that all my allergies are just too much for my body to handle and with having the dog...it is making it all worse.
My allergist wants to do tests...but since I now have dermatographia he cannot do the scratch tests because everything would turn out to be positive.
Can I be allergic to a certain food? I know I am allergic to some....bananas, avacado, cucumbers and melons. My allergist said the banana and avacada were interesting because they are associated with a latex allergy.
Like I said, it started off small and has since gotten WORSE.
I am on 2 zyrtec a day...thank goodness it does not make me tired...but since it is not making me tired, I wonder if it is not working for me. Are there other antihistamines to try. I am also on zantac to be used as an antihistamine.
I am so upset and discouraged over all this.
I just have a feeling something is causing it and the doctor I saw yesterday really made me feel like everything is over and I am doomed to be this way forever.
At times my skin is painful...stingy feeling....then at times it is totally fine. I never know when it is going to be good and when it is going to be bad. I do not know when I will be broken out with red rashes and when I will be fine. It was never on my face....and now it is there.
Any suggestions on what I can do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran

reader1 HB User
Re: Urticaria...please help!!!!!!

I have a lot of trouble with my skin in the winter. I get eczema or uticaria in the winter, esp on my hands. Petting the dog does aggravate it.

Have you tried topical steroids? There is a prescription strength level that is more helpful than the OTC.

Has your allergist talked to you about allergy shots?

Old 11-17-2004, 12:36 PM   #3
(female)

ahimsa HB User

Hi "Saltine": Hang in there. You have joined a great board/group here and we know how miserable and frustrating it can be. Please keep posting and reading about hives.

I am glad you have already seen an allergist. Keep working with him/her. And it takes a while for the meds to reach peak effectiveness, so be sure to keep them going per your allergist's instructions. (I also take Zyrtec but with Pepcid, pretty much the same as Zantac. And then I take Benedryl on top of that as needed.)

My hives are different than yours, but I share many of the same frustrations as do many others on this board. I have chronic urticaria that is truly "idiopathic" - I have been working a long time trying to find the cause, and will keep on working at it. What else can we do?

- Kristi

Old 11-18-2004, 10:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hi 'saltine_cracker', my mother has dermagraphism which is a type of physical urticaria. I wouldn't agree with your dermatologist that urticaria is a genetic defect. As for most of the chronic urticaria and the types of it out there, it is usually caused by an underlying condition. It may be an infection, autoimmune problem, cancer(rare)...etc. My mom's dermagraphism has gone and she hasn't have a breakout for a long time! She has frequent UTI and when the UTI was treated, her hives got better. So I guess my mom's urticaria was caused by an infection (UTI).

Your urticaria might be caused by an underlying infection or maybe you might never know the cause. Infections like root canal, sinusitis, UTI can be the culprit. You can use cromolyn cream for the itching. Never scratch yourself if you feel itchy because that will only worsen your condition. Try sponging youself with cool water, some people bathe in oatmeal... Don't be discourage, sometimes the hives will go away on its own. Everyone is different, so no one can tell you when it will be gone for good.

Food allergy test can be done by putting the food on/under the tongue or have the patient swallow it and see if there's any reaction. But it is strictly done at a doctor's office where medical treatment is easily accessible. Blood test, RAST can be done depending on what your doctor wants.

Antihistamines will help to prevent the hives from forming as it stops mast cells from degranulating. However, some patients need more than one type of antihistamine to help them. All the best to you and hope you feel better soon!!!

Old 11-24-2004, 11:33 AM   #5

genster HB User

Hi Saltine_cracker
Sorry to hear about your hives - they suck. I have delayed pressure urticaria, heat induced urticaria, cold induced urticaria, etc.- basically I have urticaria from any sort of physical stimuli, as far as I can determine. I hate it. You should also check the rare disorders board, as there are some postings on there re DPU that you may find helpful... I hate to tell you, but you probably won't get a lot of relief from the antihistamines - at least, they don't do much for me. It depends on what the trigger for the hives is. If they are allergy induced, antihistamines will help, but if they aren't rooted in allergies, then the antihistamines won't do much. Good luck, and keep posting and reading. I hope the Dr. finds something that helps.

Last edited by genster; 11-24-2004 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo

Old 11-25-2004, 05:15 AM   #6
(female)

fillorbust HB User

Hello all
Yesterday I was diagnosed with dermographism. I was told that in 85-95% of the cases, there is no known cause. I was told that it could be from numerous things. I can tell you that mine started this last June within 1-2 weeks after receiving a TB test for the hospital I work for. The same thing happened to my mom (who also works at the same hospital) a few years ago. Her hives lasted 8 months and finally went away when they put her on zyrtec. I hope this works for me. I know they say that the hives can last a few months to years. That stinks!!! I had also found that Claritin (over the counter) works for me. I can take one and the effects of it last 4-5 days. Then I need to take another. The things that do not work for me, or at least the effects do not last long, are benedryl or pseudofed. Thanks for listening!

Closed Thread