It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 07:38 AM   #1

Health356 HB User
Does Allergies cause Hives?

Hi everyone!

I have noticed that I have been getting hives on my face, chest and hands. I notice that I get hives after I shower in the morning and get out of the cold? Is it possible that I'm allergic to the cold or maybe its something I'm eating or even the soap I'm using.

The only time my hands get itchy with hives, is when I get out of the cold. This morning I noticed that some of my fingers also swelled up? It was weird.

Maybe It's the new soap I'm using also?

Does anybody know what might be causeing this or what I could do to reduce the symptoms.

Thanks, everyone for your help....

Old 11-18-2004, 11:51 AM   #2

Health356 HB User
Re: Does Allergies cause Hives?

Is there anybody out there that is having the same sypmtoms?? help

Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 01:14 PM   #3
(female)

ahimsa HB User

There are several on this board who have cold induced urticaria. (I don't, just plain old chronic idiopathic urticaria for me.) One of the others will probably post. In the meantime, check out the other threads on hives.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hi Health356, I have cold urt. Cold urticaria can get serious if not taken care of; if the airways get swell up, you won't be able to breathe and that's life threatening. Have you seen a dermatologist yet? If you haven't, go see one and ask the doctor to perform an ice cube test. If a wheal forms on where the ice cube was placed 5-15 mins later, you have cold urt. However, there are instances where ice cube test is negative and only an air conditioned room will bring out the reaction.

The soap can also be the culprit of causing your hives. You might want to go to the dermatologist or allergist to rule that out. You can try using a totally different soap for a few weeks and see what happens.

Do you have problems drinking cold water, eating ice cream? Do you get hives all over your body after swimming?

Antihistamines will help to prevent the hives from forming. Only taking it before the attack is effective... if you take it after you get the hives, usually the effect of the drug will not be as good. Cromolyn cream (gastrocrom, nasalcrom) can help with the itching. Prednisone helps with the swelling but it is not a drug to be taken lightly; i can cause alot of nasty side effects if taken on a long term basis. There are steroid topical creams to help with the swelling and itching but using it too often can cause the skin to thin and tear.

All the best!

Old 11-19-2004, 08:13 AM   #5

Health356 HB User

Thanks, Cheerangel!

Closed Thread