It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2004, 11:25 AM   #1

top gun HB User
Is anyone else as miserable as me?????allergies,throat clicking

I have constant post nasal drip, It is so thick it just lays in the back of my throat creating a lump...I take zyrtec 10 mg for this ...I also have this awful clicking for about the past 10 years...Dr says all allergy related...My nose is always stuffed up.....I am getting sick of this crap all the time.....Any suggestions????????? Oh yeah Dr say's i have sinusitus but antibiotics dont help so i think its chronic.

Last edited by top gun; 11-20-2004 at 11:26 AM.

Old 11-20-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Is anyone else as miserable as me?????allergies,throat clicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by top gun
Dr says all allergy related...My nose is always stuffed up.....I am getting sick of this crap all the time.....Any suggestions?????????
What types of changes have you made, so far, to avoid allergens? There are many food allergens to avoid, and many allergens that touch your skin, that you can avoid, and many allergens that you breath, that you can avoid some times.

Since most people are allergic to many different things, the more things that you can avoid, the better chance that you may experience an improvement in your condition.

Have you considered allergy shots? One approach to allergy shots, that I prefer, because it is cheaper and less time consuming, is when an allergy doctor gives a "very mild" allergy shot, which consists of many of the weeds, grasses and trees in your region, and never increases the dosage. This approach does not require expensive allergy testing. The thinking here is, that you can avoid allergens that touch your skin, and you can avoid certain foods, but it is difficult to avoid those allergens that you breath while outside. These types of shots you can take on your own schedule. If you feel better after getting a general purpose mild "outside allergen" allergy shot, then you might consider going again a week or two later.

Acupuncture has also shown itself to be a successful treatment against allergies.

Best of luck and health. Sorry you're feeling lousy. Hope you feel great ASAP!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-20-2004 at 12:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2004, 08:06 PM   #3

cshore HB User

I am miserable with the constant post nasal drip as well. I never had allergies growing up... was diagnosed over a yr ago with mild allergies to several things...I take Sudafed and Singulair... the Sudafed helps, but I don't like to take it everyday because it is the only thing I have tried that works and I don't want to become immune to it. My throat is almost always sore due to the drip and it drives me crazy. I Have never tried shots, I wonder if that would work... and I have never done the accupuncture thing either. I don't have a stuffed up nose thank G-d for that..but this congestion in my throat every day all day is just awful!!

Old 11-21-2004, 07:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshore
I don't have a stuffed up nose thank G-d for that..but this congestion in my throat every day all day is just awful!!
There are mucus glands in the sinuses AND in the throat. You have the luck of having over active mucus glands in the throat, being effected by allergens, but NOT in your sinuses. Just hope that whatever effected your throat glands doesn't one day decide to effect your sinuses also.

Quote:
I Have never tried shots, I wonder if that would work...
I had an allergist years ago who believed in giving very mild doses of common tree, grass and weed pollens, expressly related to my area. I didn't have to get expensive tests and it made getting the shots very simple. I would just pop into his office when I wanted a shot. The nurse would give me the shot, and I would be gone. I noticed, each time, right after getting the shot, breathing through my nose would get better. If interested, you might call around and try to find an allergist in your area that gives the same inexpensive type of service.

Allergies are combinational. That means that your allergy problems are probably caused my multiply allergens over multiple days. Allergens can cause misery by either being breathed in, by touching your skin or by being eaten. In other words, from allergens, you can run, but you can't hide.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:54 AM   #5

MafiaKiddo HB User

Allergy shots take years and years before you will get any benefit from them though since the point is to slowly build up a tolerance to the things that effect you. It's always an option but not something that will help you anytime soon

Old 11-22-2004, 06:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

I have a similar problem. Of course, consult your physician, but I've found that I have to rotate my antihistimines because they stop working and the mucous would build up. I build up a tolerance to them. Prescriptions don't work for me, either. I think you just have to keep trying different medications until you find one that works.

Old 11-26-2004, 04:17 PM   #7

mrtouty HB User

Hello CSHORE. I have the same problem.It started off aboat 5 years ago with a *****ing feeling in my throut.That went away..but then,that awful drainage into my throat.I'm trying massive doses of garlec pills now.Maybe that will work.Good luck
mrtouty

Old 11-26-2004, 07:17 PM   #8

cshore HB User

I started NasalCrom which is OTC this past Sunday, and it is definetly helping with the PND. It hasn't gone away totally, but the drainage is thinner and my throat isn't bothering me as much anymore. I hope that it continues to work...

Old 11-29-2004, 12:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

So, Nasalcrom seems worth this money? I believe it's close to $12 a bottle if I remember correctly.

Old 11-29-2004, 12:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

So, Nasalcrom seems worth this money? I believe it's close to $12 a bottle if I remember correctly.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:12 AM   #11

cshore HB User

Paula you can get Nasal Crom in two different sizes... but you need to use it four times a day.. so over all it will cost abou 30.00 per mos. for two bottles and that is for the 200 meters size.
That is cheaper then most of the RX for allergies, so I am thrilled that so far it is helping!!
Try it, and let me know how it works for you. The bottle does say that it may take 2 weeks to get the maximum benefit. I have been taking it now alittle over a week, and so far I do see a great improvement!!

Old 12-01-2004, 06:22 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Smile Re: Is anyone else as miserable as me?????allergies,throat clicking

Allergy sufferers may soon be asking "why am I paying more for less?" when it comes to relieving allergies. According to results of two recent studies, the leading over-the-counter branded antihistamine has demonstrated significant superior efficacy over the leading prescription antihistamine. The two studies, known as "Cedar Fever" and "Ragweed" were conducted in areas of the United States where abundant cedar trees and ragweed can cause severe hay fever. Both studies demonstrated that Benadryl (diphenhydramine) was at least 54 percent more effective than Claritin in treating seasonal allergic rhinitis.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:21 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

Susan, I agree. I've experienced the same thing. Benadryl worked great but made me tired. I now take Tavist. Nothing works 100% for me, but the over-the-counter antihistimines work much better, it seems. Claritin does absolutely nothing for me.

Closed Thread