It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2004, 08:48 PM   #1
(female)

fossil HB User
please help me choose a good air purifier...

I am very allergic to dust. I did some research about some air purifiers but still can't decided which one is the best (in terms of quality and price).

I have these in my mind:

- Honeywell enviracaire HEPA Air Purifier, Model 16200
[ removed ]

- Hamilton Beach 04160 TrueAir HEPA Air Purifier with UV Germicidal Light
[ removed ]

- The ionic breeze

Which one blow/absorb/move the most air? Cause I heard that it's really important for an air purifier to actually get the air moving.
Does anyone have a better air purifier in mind? Please please let me know.
Thank you.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-27-2004 at 09:18 PM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites - use brand names only

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #2
(female)

fossil HB User
Re: please help me choose a good air purifier...

Anyone have any experienced in buying air purifier?
Please advise which one absorbs the most dust.. Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 06:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil
Anyone have any experienced in buying air purifier?
Please advise which one absorbs the most dust.. Thanks...
I use Hepa air cleaners that also have the ionizer feature. They are supposed to be the best type of air cleaner. I own seven of them, all of which I was able to purchase on the cheap via the internet. Six of mine are good for a room about 14 foot by 16 foot, if they are placed in the middle of the room. I place them on the wall, which makes them less effective, so in my bedroom and my office, I've got two of them hanging up on opposite walls. When I run them, I also run a ceiling fan in order to help stir up the air. I also vacuum the expensive filters instead of replacing them.

If you are going to buy air filters, shop around. The air filters that I bought went for about $60, total cost including shipping. I've seen the exact same units sell for $120.

They really help me, especially when it is smokey outside.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Don't by the Ionic Breeze. It is not very effective because it has no fan to move the air through it. If you haven't been to it already, Consumer Reports website has a great article and rates some popular HEPA filters. I have a Honeywell and a BlueAir. The BlueAir is way superior, but it also costs about $500. The Honeywell is very good. They work well and are reliable. If you get a Honeywell, buy a bigger one than you need. It won't cost much more, and you will get better results, especially on the lower settings.

I also recommend gettting 3M filtrete furnace filters, they will also help reduce dust in your entire home. (But they are not a substitute for the room air filter IMHO) HTH

Old 12-12-2004, 03:27 AM   #5
Inactive

RealIcon HB User

For Quality, IQ Air is the best (made in Switzerland, clinical studies in Germany rate it best). Some hospitals use their commercial grade products. Very effective. But they are expensive - about $600 for basic home model. Then again, people seem to come up with that and more for an expensive TV!

I have an IQ Air and recommend it.
Good luck,
Joe

Old 12-12-2004, 02:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Actually, continual ionisation isn't a good thing.....it's not good for people for asthma, and has been connected to cancer.

I've had my central air cleaner (which has ionisation) disconnected because my breathing was actually worse.
But, I think it would be OK for a portable machine that can be turned off and on.

The ionisation clean the air, remove odours, etc.

But, a good filter like the 3M on the furnace, change it regularly, have the ducts cleaned or clean them yourself regularly, and use a basic model cleaner in each room.

I have a DeLonghi in the livingroom, and in the bedroom we just purchased the True Air. It has no ionisation and uses a 3M filter. It moves the air well, has a "doctor's office smell", and doesn't bother my breathing at all. It was only $56 Cdn. There is a larger model as well.

I think that basic is still good, but rely on the housecleaning abilities and vaccuum the carpets, floors and bedding regularly.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 12-12-2004 at 02:33 PM.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:38 PM   #7
(female)

KIDINSANITY HB User

We use the Humter brand. They work great for odors too, and move the air around alot. The filters cost around $35/each, though. We've had them for years and love them.

Closed Thread