It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
(male)

jmilner01 HB User
Fluorescent Bulb Allergy?

I have an Aunt whose maintenance company in her office building in Boston just installed new "daylight" fluorescent bulbs. As efficient and light-giving as they are, she said that after about 10 minutes being in a room with it and the "hospital" effect, she began squinting like she was outside, and felt like she was burning.
Checking herself in the mirror, she realized that her face was red as if she had been sunburnt at the beach. Checking with co-workers, including her boss, they all felt the same way and hot. One of her co-workers had removed her rings and such because her fingers had swollen from these apparent "burns".
I found this strange, so I checked the OSHA website, and found no other reports of anything like this, so I'm wondering if it's mere coincidence that they're all reacting, or if it's actually possible to be burnt by the new "daylight" fluorescent bulbs.
Are these dangerous, etc.? Please get back to me. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Re: Fluorescent Bulb Allergy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilner01
I have an Aunt whose maintenance company in her office building in Boston just installed new "daylight" fluorescent bulbs. As efficient and light-giving as they are, she said that after about 10 minutes being in a room with it and the "hospital" effect, she began squinting like she was outside, and felt like she was burning.
Checking herself in the mirror, she realized that her face was red as if she had been sunburnt at the beach. Checking with co-workers, including her boss, they all felt the same way and hot. One of her co-workers had removed her rings and such because her fingers had swollen from these apparent "burns".
I found this strange, so I checked the OSHA website, and found no other reports of anything like this, so I'm wondering if it's mere coincidence that they're all reacting, or if it's actually possible to be burnt by the new "daylight" fluorescent bulbs.
Are these dangerous, etc.? Please get back to me. Thank you.
Wow, that is so freakin' weird!!!

Are they the full spectrum bulbs??

Please keep us posted about how it ends up. I'd be really interested to learn what caused those strange symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
(female)

ahimsa HB User
Re: Fluorescent Bulb Allergy?

Hmm.... Is it possible that tanning bed bulbs were used by mistake? I don't know much about lighting.

In any event, the maintenance company should be called to replace the bulbs and investigate. If it were me, I would make an official health/safety report to make sure it is addressed correctly.

Can you let us know how this unfolds?

Closed Thread