It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 11:23 PM   #1
(female)

balivion HB User
Post Cat Allergy

I am trying to find something, that will tell me how long Cat Dander stays around after the cat has been gotten rid of. My 10 month old son is SEVERLY allergic to cats, breaks out in hives, and has problems breathing when he is in a house that a cat has been in. I need something that I can print out to say how long it takes to get rid of cat dander, or if you actually have to recarpet, and get new furniture or even move to get rid of all the cat dander, in a house, when there has at one point in time been up to 7 cat. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 12-06-2004, 09:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User
Re: Cat Allergy

Hi, there are many good websites on allergy info though I think we can't post stuffs like that here. I have heard that sometimes it takes years for the dander to go even when the cat is not around. Good luck, I'll see if I can find anything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 10:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: Cat Allergy

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question, but I do have ideas how to reduce the dander in the house. First get your carpets professionally cleaned, and ask them to use an allergan neutralizer when they do. It helps destroy the protein in things like cat dander and dust mites. If you have any drapes, have them cleaned also. Next buy a 3M filtrete furnace filter for your house. This will help clean your house air like you wouldn't believe. In the winter months, you can ran the furnace fan constantly to continually clean the air. (if you do this, you will have to change the filter every 4-6 weeks instead of the 3 months it says on the package.) And if you might want to consider a HEPA filter for your son's bedroom, especially if he has other allergies besides cats.

Closed Thread