It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Bacteria Infection/Chiggans,and anyone else please read!!

Well, I have another sinus infection and just got back from my ENT. He took a culture of my mucous and say he thinks he knows what is wrong with me. He says I have bacteria likely growing in my sinuses that is hard to treat and that is why all this time I have remained inflamed/dizzy/and constant sinus infections. I get a hearing test and tube put in my ear on Wed. and am now taking Omnicef. Once he has the results back from the culture he will talk to me about what kind of treament I need. I can't believe after all this time I may be close to getting rid of all my problems and I can't believe I stayed with my dumb ENT who did nothing for me, never even offered a culture of my mucous. My new ENT is so good and right on top of my care. I remember way back when Chiggans mentioned to me about getting my mucous cultured and finally I did!!! So, what exactly is a bacterial infection and what do they do for it? My ENT says they are hard to get rid of, but not impossible. I'm scared, but glad I now know. So, any info on thest type of sinus infections would be appreciated.

Halls

Old 12-06-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: Bacteria Infection/Chiggans,and anyone else please read!!

I'm sorry to hear about the infection Halls. You've had a rough time with this.

Omnicef is a pretty good antibiotic, it is a cephlasporin (sp?) with few side-effects. However, you may want to ask your ENT if you can take it in nebulized form (mist) instead of orally. Another option is to do IV antibiotics. Both methods are more effective.

I managed to clear an infection without antibiotics in July. I felt myself getting dizzy, and gunk started come out of my nose again. I said "NO WAY", and immediately started irrigating with my machine 4 times a day, using Zyletol, Alkalol, and 3ml of Hydrogen Peroxide. I did this for 4 days, and then went to just Zyletol. I also started taking the most powerful antihistamine out there -Chlor-tremiton. The antihistamine opened the nasal passages and allowed the solution to get in there. The other thing I use is Sinofresh twice a day.

I would try this method. I can't hurt. Within a couple weeks, I was clear again. I've also been doing immunotherapy.

It's good that your doctor is doing a culture. It allows him to taylor the treatment to the infection. It sounds like you are in good hands.

But remember that most people have some bacteria in their sinuses, it just depends to what degree.

Keep us updated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 11:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Thanks so much. I am irrigating, but use the regualr saline to clean my sinuese out. I will talk to my ENT about what you use as an option when I see him on Tuesday.

Yes, I realize that bacteria is a normal thing for everyone to have somewhere, but some is bad. I honestly hope that whatever my ENT finds that he will be able to cure it for good. I need a break!

I'll keep you and everyone posted!

Halls

Old 12-06-2004, 11:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

Your ENT will probably tell you not to use Hydrogen peroxide, since it can irritate the soft tissue in your sinuses. However, my method was actually recommended by a doctor, so there are different opinions on this.

The important thing is to only use 3ml at a time, and not to do this for more than 3-4 days. I only do this if there is obvious evidence of an infection, such as discolored discharge.

it is also important to do this 3-4 times day. The more the better.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

LOL, I have a feeling my ENT will say heck no about doing that, but I will ask him anyways. ANything to get rid of this awful beast!

Halls

Old 12-06-2004, 02:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

Hang in there Halls. there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Remember that my ENT, who has performed thousands of sinus surgeries, said my sinuses were the worst he had ever seen -and I feel great right now. I'm sure you're no worse off than I was.

Closed Thread