It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2004, 02:10 PM   #1
(female)

ladychecotah HB User
Eating out with a latex allergy is hard!

I live in a small town and so far I can eat at any restaurant here except Chicken Express. But when I go to a city, it is almost impossible to find a restaurant that does not use latex gloves in the kitchen. I knew I had a latex problem but kept having problems when I had not gone to the doctor. At a restaurant my throat starting closing up and my ears swelling inside and the hives and sun burn feeling. I came very close to calling for emergency help, but I made it without it, afterall they would have had latex stuff with them. I take my picture with me now to the doctor's office of my arm after the last time I had my blood pressure checked. It is the only way I can really prove to the medical staff that I don't have just a little itch. I carry a epi pen, but I have a serious heart condition and the doctor says I might not survive the latex exposure, but I may not survive the epi pen either. I do not work in the medical field, but I've had 12 heart caths and by-pass surgery and multiple nuclear stress tests since 1999.

Old 12-13-2004, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: Eating out with a latex allergy is hard!

Wow! What a tough situation you have there. Please don't be afraid to call an ambulence or go to the ER. Most nowadays if you tell them you have a latex allergy, will use different gloves. Same with dentists, BTW. If you seek medical attention, they can give you prednisone instead of using adrenaline. Perhaps you could even get a prescription for prednisone to use in an emergency. But if you go to the ER, you will get it in an IV and it will work faster.

I believe some foods cross react with latex. I want to say melons do, but I can't remember. But I'm sure if you google it, you will find a list of foods you should avoid if you are allergic to latex.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2004, 09:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Eating out with a latex allergy is hard!

Banana peels... Just the peels.

There is a blood test that they can do to test for latex allergy.

Also, you should be able to ask at a restaurant and find out if they use latex products.

All medical personnel should be able to accomodate a latex allergy. You should consider getting a medic alert bracelet in case you have an emergency.

Closed Thread