It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2004, 06:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Ah yes, the Chicago winter is taking hold...

This time of year for me is a constant battle with the sinuses. I can feel infections trying to develop up there, and I wake up with sore throats and headaches. I irrigate twice a day and take Allegra, but it is really tough. All the dust getting pumped through the vents, and the dryness... ugh

By next year I will be in a better climate. Some people just can't handle the winters.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2004, 08:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Re: Ah yes, the Chicago winter is taking hold...

Hang in there Chiggans! I know how you feel, already had one infection and getting over it. Now my son is sick! Winter brings all sorts of crud. You'd think it would bring the opposite, but we can't get that lucky, LOL!

Halls

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2004, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

Ughhh.... My husband is from the North Suburbs. We visited up there for Thanksgiving and the first snow came. We were only there for a week and I was becoming rapidly miserable. I'm pregnant too, and my sinuses have been even worse with both of my pregnancies. My 17 month was also sneezy and snotty by the end of the week. I told my inlaws "It amazes me that so many people live here! This place is uninhabitable." LOL. Have you tried Flonase? It's been a big help to me. It's anti inflammatory properties are great because I always get terrible raw, painful irritated, swollen sinuses in the winter and spring.

Thank God we don't live there. After a couple days back in Texas we were both back to normal. I hope you can get to a more tolerable climate soon! I'm from Alabama and now we live in Texas. I told DH I never wanted to live somewhere with harsh winters. I have enough trouble in mild climates!
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 12-18-2004 at 08:45 AM.

Old 12-18-2004, 02:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Witner hasn't really kicked in in Oregon yet--not that's it's much snow or anything, just a lot of rain/cold, but it still leaves me feeling yucky usually...

Old 12-18-2004, 10:39 PM   #5
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Agreed chiggans! For me it's a year & a half & i'm headed outta chicago. Everyone is sick, 2 out of 5 people working today at my job called in sick. It's sooooo cold out now. And being inside does nothing- i'm sitting here in my room & I can still feel the cold blowing through my windows. I'm sick everytime I go to sleep & then wake up, it never fails, even if it's just an hour or 2 long nap, I wake up congested & coughing & out of breath. Then i'm fine a while later. I'm getting scared b/c it seems like everytime I get sick lately, i'm getting sicker & sicker, last winter, a cold would send me to the emergency room, out of school for days & on high dose prednisone & nebulizer treatments. well i'll pray for you, you pray for me and hopefully we'll be fine ok hehe.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

What kills me is that down here In Texas the weather goes back anf forth and everytime that happens I am always having a hard time. One day it is in the 70's and the next day it is in the 40's. It can wreak havoc even on the people who don't have allergies!

Halls

Old 12-19-2004, 02:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Anyone notice a connection between when people crank the heat way up, and feeling bad? Or is that just me? :P

Old 12-19-2004, 03:39 PM   #8
(female)

shanz85 HB User

haha have lived downtown chicago all my life, 19 years!! moved to nashville for a little while for school and loved it, also had same problems with chicago weather. back home now and NOT enjoying it haha

Old 12-20-2004, 12:51 AM   #9
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

is that true about texas.. i'm going there in january i'm excited I wanna go to school there & i'm ready to get outta chicago.. I gaurantee you would die in this awful cold weather up here it's 2 degrees out right now & it HURTS to breathe! argg.... I would like kill to be in 40 degree weather right now lol

Old 12-20-2004, 07:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

to answer your question Midget, people feel crappy when the heat is turned on because all the dust from the vents gets blown into bedrooms and offices.

This is my big problem. But immunotherapy seems to be working well.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:06 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Mmm good point, Chiggins...

Old 12-22-2004, 07:06 AM   #12

genster HB User

I find the change form outside cold to inside overheated buildings hard. But, in eastern Canada we don't get much choice about the winter - it is ok so far, but will really hit after Christmas with the snow and the freezing temperatures, plus we get the damp from the north atlantic - ugh. I am not a winter person, so I can relate.

Old 12-22-2004, 07:13 AM   #13

genster HB User

BTW, does anyone have any suggestions about how to stop my nose from gushing when I bend down, look down, roll over in bed, or move my head in general? I am taking flonase, singulair, etc., but can't seem to get rid of this symptom. I have nasal polyps, had surgury 3x, Dr. says there isn't any real point in doing the op again, it is only temporary respite, also have "allergic rhinitis " and chronic sinusitis. I can't stand this though, and am tired of sleeping with a large size kleenex box in the bed. I have asked my dr, but he has no suggestions. Anyone have any ideas?

Closed Thread