It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2004, 07:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Allergist

I'm going to an allergist for the first time next week. What should I expect? I've never been diagnosed with any allergies except to bug bites and dermatagraphism. I have been treated with anti-histamines before though. I am going because I have asthma and my stomach doctor wants me tested for food allergies. So, what should I expect?

Old 12-19-2004, 07:39 PM   #2

MilkNWheat HB User
Re: Allergist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondy2061h
I'm going to an allergist for the first time next week. What should I expect? I've never been diagnosed with any allergies except to bug bites and dermatagraphism. I have been treated with anti-histamines before though. I am going because I have asthma and my stomach doctor wants me tested for food allergies. So, what should I expect?
I've been dealing with food allergies for 6 months now.... Wheat and Milk are my two allergies.... for years I've had them and just ignored the stuffy/runny nose, bloating, gas, itchy eyes and nose... I hate going to the doc so I just suffered intill it was too much.

Anyway.... First he took these plastic type things with fluid on the ends and put them on my arms it dosn't really puncture your skin but it does have a little puncture type feeling (dosn't hurt). Then he will see if any of them rise above the others and itch. If doc can't find anything there the doc will ask you to do a food diary of what you eat, drink and put into your mouth for 2 weeks. From that point hte doctor will look over your diary and do another test where he/she will inject fluide of what he feels you might be allergic to ie. corn, wheat, milk, soy. under you skin. Again you will wait for like 10mins and if you have a reacation the bumps will rise and or itch. If that dosn't show anything they will take some blood and run tests that way.

This is how my doc did it. I didn't need to do the blood work, it showed for me after he injected me with the fluide.

Good luck to you any questions, I'll help you the best I can!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2004, 09:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Did they tell you that they were going to do the testing on that visit? If not, it will probably just be a consultation, and then they will schedule the testing for later. If they didn't tell you that your appointment would take quite a while, you probably aren't going to be tested on that visit.

When they do test you, they will either do it on your back or your forearms. I've had it both places. It doesn't really hurt, but it gets kind of annoying after a little while.

Old 12-22-2004, 09:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

I'm assuming I'll have testing done because they told me not to take any antihistamines for 3 days before the appointment and they also said the appointment would take a while.

Closed Thread