It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2004, 07:08 PM   #1
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 130
hoffta HB User
Anyone Try Using Hydrogen Peroxide in the Nose?

Has anyone tried using hydrogen peroxide in the nose? I am desperate and need to get rid of this infection. I cannot believe I have one so soon after surgery. My ENT told me not to do it, but it is the only way I can get rid of the awful smell in my nose. It does burn like heck though.

G

 
Old 12-25-2004, 06:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Machaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fort Laud
Posts: 3,958
Blog Entries: 22
Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Anyone Try Using Hydrogen Peroxide in the Nose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjzhoff
Has anyone tried using hydrogen peroxide in the nose? I am desperate and need to get rid of this infection. I cannot believe I have one so soon after surgery. My ENT told me not to do it, but it is the only way I can get rid of the awful smell in my nose. It does burn like heck though.

G
There are three discussion topics here on healthboards dealing with flooding the sinuses with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and kosher salt, to treat sinus infections.

Documentation, discussion and links to the other two discussions can be found at: New 'upside down sinus flooding' documentation.

The link to this allergy topic is:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=139765

 
The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
herbman (07-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-25-2004, 06:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Machaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fort Laud
Posts: 3,958
Blog Entries: 22
Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Anyone Try Using Hydrogen Peroxide in the Nose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjzhoff
I cannot believe I have one so soon after surgery.
Infrequent sinus flooding, with a mild solution of peroxide, baking soda, and kosher salt, can guard against re-infection. Three years ago, I used to do several sinus floodings in one week. Now I do about two sinus floodings every three months when I first feel like I might be getting an infection. I use it as an insurance policy, even though I probably don't need to do sinus floodings, at all, anymore.

I don't understand why more ENTs do not suggest sinus flooding with peroxide to guard against re-infection.

Quote:
My ENT told me not to do it, ...
Have you asked your ENT why he is against using peroxide in the sinuses?

Quote:
... but it is the only way I can get rid of the awful smell in my nose. It does burn like heck though.

G
The burning is a sign of damage, or very sensitive areas, within your nasal areas. When the peroxide comes into contact with injured areas, it will burn a lot. The burning, of course, is not good for the sinuses, but the peroxide, baking soda mixture will kill most of the germs, with which it comes into contact.

If you have ever scrapped your knee, and poured full-strength 3% peroxide on it, you would have experienced quite a bit of painful burning, but if you poured it on the other, undamaged knee, it would have caused no burning at all. In fact, you can gargle with peroxide and the only burning you would feel would be if you had sores or wounds in your mouth.

The idea of sinus flooding, with peroxide, is to kill germs so that they stay away from the "open infected wounds" within the nasal areas, so that the wounds will slowly heal and stop being targets for re-infection. In my case, it took about six months, for my nasal wounds to heal. After they healed, I seldom had to do sinus floodings. In three years, I've done about 50 sinus floodings, or less than two floodings per month. It is not something that I would do on a regular basis.

But......... if the infections are deep within the hard-to-reach sinus cavities, such as the maxillary sinus cavities, then the peroxide flooding will only have limited benefits, by killing the germs OUTSIDE of the sinus cavities, and preventing the infections from spreading to other areas, like the turbinates.

Sorry to hear about your sinus misery. I hope that you can get some relief!

 
Old 12-25-2004, 12:31 PM   #4
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 130
hoffta HB User
Re: Anyone Try Using Hydrogen Peroxide in the Nose?

Thanks for the info... Do you use a water pik for irrigation? The ENT also told me not to use that, but I am at my wits end and am tired of listening to doctors that are of no help to me other than prescribing medications that I believe my body has begun to tolerate and are no longer effective.

The first time I had surgery it was because I developed a staff infection. The doctor I was seeing just allowed it to go on for too long and I needed emergency surgery.

I think I am going to try the peroxide...The ENT told me not to do it, but he is of no help to me other than wanting to cut into my nose and sinuses. He never returns calls and I think I am going to need to find someone else. My nose started to get the telltale smell about three weeks ago. I place some peroxide on a tissue and then placed it in my nose and it immediately got rid of the smell. I think that must have been the beginning of the infection I have now.

I am having spinal surgery next week and need to get rid of this infection before then.

Thanks,

GH

 
Old 12-25-2004, 01:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Machaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fort Laud
Posts: 3,958
Blog Entries: 22
Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Anyone Try Using Hydrogen Peroxide in the Nose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjzhoff
Thanks for the info... Do you use a water pik for irrigation? The ENT also told me not to use that, but I am at my wits end and am tired of listening to doctors that are of no help to me other than prescribing medications ...
I've never irrigated my sinuses. I just fill a saline nasal spray bottle with 3% peroxide, baking soda, kosher salt and filtered water, bend my head down, and forcefully spray the mixture into my nose.

Be sure and read through the documentation. It gives measurements, warnings and procedures. There is also a lot of discussion by others who have tried the flooding. From the feedback that I have received, about half of those who have tried the peroxide flooding are not helped at all by the flooding.

I use one part peroxide to ten parts water, but my sinuses have totally healed and peroxide doesn't sting anymore.

If you are going to try a sinus flooding despite your ENT's recommendation against doing one, you might consider using more dilution, like one part 3% peroxide to twenty parts water, at first, in order to see if you can get through just one flooding.

Another poster, chiggins1066, has had some success in treating his sinus infection problems, and I think that his ENT has recommended using peroxide in his sinuses. His approach is different than mine. If you are interested in exploring what he has done, go to the topic

Bacteria Infection/Chiggans,and anyone else please read!! at http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=230619

Quote:
... that I believe my body has begun to tolerate and are no longer effective.
Antibiotics are supposed to become less effective the more that you use a particular antibiotic.

Quote:
The first time I had surgery it was because I developed a staff infection. The doctor I was seeing just allowed it to go on for too long and I needed emergency surgery.
Was it a hospital resistant staph infection? Were they able to get rid of it 100%? If not, they are very difficult to get rid of totally. Do you ever get painful pimples inside your nostrils?

Quote:
I think I am going to try the peroxide...The ENT told me not to do it, but he is of no help to me other than wanting to cut into my nose and sinuses.
What do you think about the idea of starting with a much milder dilution of peroxide to water?

Quote:
He never returns calls and I think I am going to need to find someone else.
Good luck on finding a good ENT. I've never been to an ENT I liked or respected.

Quote:
My nose started to get the telltale smell about three weeks ago. I place some peroxide on a tissue and then placed it in my nose and it immediately got rid of the smell.
That is a surprise. I would think that the odor would be deeper into the nasal passages or sinus cavities.

One other thing that you might try, is clean out your nostrils with soapy water. I do it while I am taking a shower. I lather up my hands and use the lather, and leave it in my nostrils for a few minutes.

Quote:
I think that must have been the beginning of the infection I have now.
Oh brother! I used to go through that several times a year. My sinus would start stuffing up, then, during the next couple of days, it would get worse and worse and start closing completely and getting painful. That's when I knew that I had another damn sinus infection.

Quote:
I am having spinal surgery next week and need to get rid of this infection before then.

Thanks,

GH
Good luck with your spinal surgery. I hope that it is of the micro-surgery type.

If you decide to go ahead and do a sinus flooding with peroxide, please keep in touch and post how you are doing, and any questions you might have. I hope that it really helps you!

Regards, and best of luck and health!

 
Old 12-26-2004, 06:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 945
chigs489 HB User
Re: Anyone Try Using Hydrogen Peroxide in the Nose?

About 10 days ago, I awoke with a headache and some yellow discharge from the nose. I knew it was another infection coming on, so I irrigated using 3ml of hydrogen peroxide, Zyletol, and 5ml Alkalol, and cool, distilled water.

The next day, no headache. Discharge totally clear.

I'm to the point where I don;t need to irrigate all the time, just a few times a week. I also use Sinofresh, Allegra, allergy shots, and sometimes Astelin, if I feel nasal swelling and lots of congestion.

I use an irrigation machine (Grossan Hydropulse), but Beerzoids' method works just fine. It's just faster for me to use the machine.

Doctors don't want you to use peroxide for the obvious reason that someone will pump 20ml of it into their nose and cause chemical burns. You need to be careful, and never use over 3ml at a time. Also, don;t use the peroxide unless an obvious infection is present. At other times, just use kosher salt or Zyletol.

I've only used peroxide about 10 times in the last year. Every other time it was Zyletol and sometimes Alkalol, a mucus solvent.

Antibiotics are a waste of time.

 
Old 12-27-2004, 08:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 781
Halls HB User
Re: Anyone Try Using Hydrogen Peroxide in the Nose?

Hydrogen Peroxide made me worse! I used it and it burned my sinuses up so bad and than I got the worst sinus infection of my life!!! I say talk to your doctor about it before you do this as it is not healthy for everyone to do.

But, I know many here that do it and has helped them a lot, so it really depends on the person.

Halls

 
Old 12-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Machaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fort Laud
Posts: 3,958
Blog Entries: 22
Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Anyone Try Using Hydrogen Peroxide in the Nose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halls
Hydrogen Peroxide made me worse! I used it and it burned my sinuses up so bad and than I got the worst sinus infection of my life!!!
From the feedback so far, around half of those who have tried an upside down sinus flooding, with peroxide, have found no benefit from it, and have only suffered additional discomfort from the peroxide. I am sorry that it made you worse. I've followed your messages and your sinus problems, and I know that you have been through quite a bit of misery.

Quote:
I say talk to your doctor about it before you do this as it is not healthy for everyone to do.
I totally agree with you. In the documentation I state that I don't know if the flooding will help others or harm them. But for those it has helped it has been a godsend. I've had sufferers, such as one from another forum, who posted and thanked me for saving her life.

Quote:
But, I know many here that do it and has helped them a lot, so it really depends on the person.

Halls
Once again, I am very sorry that the flooding added to your misery. That was horrible! In your case, the peroxide was not able to get to the source of your infection, and it just made you worse. Thanks for posting your warning to others!

Take care.

 
Old 12-27-2004, 10:37 AM   #9
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 130
hoffta HB User
Re: Anyone Try Using Hydrogen Peroxide in the Nose?

Thanks to everyone that has replied to this message. I am at my wits end with this problem. I searched for a good surgeon and felt I made a good decision, but am starting to feel I made a mistake.

My ENT told me not to use the hydrogen peroxide as well as the allergist's NP. What I have tried to do for the last few days is just add 1/2 teaspoon of HP to the saline solution (8 oz) I use and squirt it into the nose. I have gotten rid of the smell and I think most of the infection is gone. I think some ENT's do not want you to use HP because it can cause scarring, but the ENT is not very helpful with this infection. He just did the surgery at the end of August and I have only been off the darn antibiotics for about a month. He does not return calls and frankly I think I chose the wrong surgeon. I think I might have to return to Jefferson for treatment. I do not know though how that doctor is going to respond to me allowing someone else do the surgery.

The doctor at Jefferson really felt the problem with my sinuses was coming from the left side of my nose, but the young hot shot that did the surgery insisted he was wrong. I think I should have just returned to Jefferson and allowed the older more experienced surgeon do the surgery. I am very disappointed. This may just be a minor setback, but I have been sick since the surgery.

I switched myself from Allegra D to Clariten D (24 hour) to see if that makes a difference. I have been on Allegra D since they decided to make Clariten D over the counter medication. I also take Singulair, Flonaise and use an inhaler. I get three allergy shots a month and will forever they have told me...Since this infection I have also decided to irrigate, then wait awhile, spray Afrin up my nose to open it up and then spray the Flonaise up the nose. I do not think the Flonaise was going anywhere. The burning has stopped and almost all of the green gunk is gone! I just called for more Ketek to take since some of the green goop is still there.

Chiggins,

What are Zyletol, Astelin, and 5ml Alkalol and how do you get them? What do they do?


Quote:
Was it a hospital resistant staph infection? Were they able to get rid of it 100%?
I believe I got the staph infection from one of my students. That was two years ago and I think the staph was gone after that surgery, but I think that staph can remain in our body. (not certain about this) My husband seems to think maybe it is fungus.

Where do you find the Grossan Hydropulse machine? Can it be found on the Internet? I am really so tired of living like this that I am willing to try anything. I am going to Hopkins for spinal surgery and almost ready to call their ENT department and make an appointment there. The steroids they prescribe are ruining my bones, I am convinced. I think my spine is disintegrating from them.

 
Old 12-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: oakland, iowa, usa
Posts: 2
chebing HB User
Re: Anyone Try Using Hydrogen Peroxide in the Nose?

I've only used peroxide about 10 times in the last year. Every other time it was Zyletol and sometimes Alkalol, a mucus solvent.

what are these two things and where do you find them and how much do you use? i use the grossman waterpik all the time but i just use seasalt and baking soda in distilled water. right now i have the worst sinus infection ever and need to try something else.

thanks Claudia

 
Old 12-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: oakland, iowa, usa
Posts: 2
chebing HB User
Re: Anyone Try Using Hydrogen Peroxide in the Nose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *******
Thanks to everyone that has replied to this message. I am at my wits end with this problem. I searched for a good surgeon and felt I made a good decision, but am starting to feel I made a mistake.

My ENT told me not to use the hydrogen peroxide as well as the allergist's NP. What I have tried to do for the last few days is just add 1/2 teaspoon of HP to the saline solution (8 oz) I use and squirt it into the nose. I have gotten rid of the smell and I think most of the infection is gone. I think some ENT's do not want you to use HP because it can cause scarring, but the ENT is not very helpful with this infection. He just did the surgery at the end of August and I have only been off the darn antibiotics for about a month. He does not return calls and frankly I think I chose the wrong surgeon. I think I might have to return to Jefferson for treatment. I do not know though how that doctor is going to respond to me allowing someone else do the surgery.

The doctor at Jefferson really felt the problem with my sinuses was coming from the left side of my nose, but the young hot shot that did the surgery insisted he was wrong. I think I should have just returned to Jefferson and allowed the older more experienced surgeon do the surgery. I am very disappointed. This may just be a minor setback, but I have been sick since the surgery.

I switched myself from Allegra D to Clariten D (24 hour) to see if that makes a difference. I have been on Allegra D since they decided to make Clariten D over the counter medication. I also take Singulair, Flonaise and use an inhaler. I get three allergy shots a month and will forever they have told me...Since this infection I have also decided to irrigate, then wait awhile, spray Afrin up my nose to open it up and then spray the Flonaise up the nose. I do not think the Flonaise was going anywhere. The burning has stopped and almost all of the green gunk is gone! I just called for more Ketek to take since some of the green goop is still there.

Chiggins,

What are Zyletol, Astelin, and 5ml Alkalol and how do you get them? What do they do?




I believe I got the staph infection from one of my students. That was two years ago and I think the staph was gone after that surgery, but I think that staph can remain in our body. (not certain about this) My husband seems to think maybe it is fungus.

Where do you find the Grossan Hydropulse machine? Can it be found on the Internet? I am really so tired of living like this that I am willing to try anything. I am going to Hopkins for spinal surgery and almost ready to call their ENT department and make an appointment there. The steroids they prescribe are ruining my bones, I am convinced. I think my spine is disintegrating from them.
really all you need to do is buy a waterpik machine at any store.
then you can get the grossman nasal peice on the net by doing a search.
i love my grossman irrigator but still doesnt keep me infection free.

Claudia

 
The Following User Says Thank You to chebing For This Useful Post:
herbman (07-29-2012)
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Can Hydrogen Peroxide cause Vitiligo? davidxc93 Rare Disorders 0 12-14-2008 09:53 PM
Hydrogen Peroxide & Hair Dyeing Questions caramonaco Beauty & Cosmetics 7 11-03-2008 01:53 PM
Since Herpes, Has anyone had more female problems? dkw711 Herpes 5 12-04-2007 05:20 PM
Hydrogen Peroxide for BV Kickle Women's Health 84 01-09-2007 04:51 PM
Hydrogen Peroxide IV: Does anyone have any experience with this? sleepytee Alternative Medicine 4 04-18-2005 11:09 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Allegra
Astelin
Benadryl
Clarinex Claritin
  Flonase
Nasonex
Prednisone
Singulair
Zyrtec




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Titchou (63), janewhite1 (39), danabarb (16), Machaon (10), MountainReader (10), MeezerWheezer (7), jennybyc (7), ladybud (7), solofelix (6), Liquidplasma (4)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (999), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (667), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:22 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!