It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2004, 01:51 PM   #1
(male)

flickfire HB User
Smile Taking Allegra and Claritin24 hr tabs

I'm seeing an allergist to help me with the numerous food allergies that I have( I'm allergic to nuts, fish, chocolate, pollen, certain spices etc.) He told me that when my throat tightens up, and feels like it's ready to close, that I can take a Claritin 24hr redi-tab on top of the daily dose of Allegra to further alleviate my allergic symptoms. I've done this a few times, and while it does help with my throat tightness, I get dizzy, and I feel some tightness in my chest. Is this normal, and will I get used to it?
I'll ask him about it the next time I see him, but I just wanted to get some opinions from people on this board who might be doing the same thing. I also take Albuterol for the throat tightness too, and when I started taking the Claritin redi-tabs for the first couple of days, they made me dizzy too, but eventually it went away, as I adjusted to the medication. The guy that I'm seeing is a board-certified allergist, so I figure he knows his stuff. I'd appreciate any feedback on this topic, thanks.

Old 12-25-2004, 05:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Taking Allegra and Claritin24 hr tabs

Sounds like too much at one time to me. Check with your regular physician and see what he says about taking all of those meds at same time.

My internist would not let me take more than 2 sedative meds per day and they had to be spaced 4-6 hrs apart.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Well the way my doctor has me double up is i'll take Clarinex which is a 24 hour antihistamine in the morning & Benadryl at nite. Usually I do this if my allergies are keeping me from sleeping, like a real bad rash or coughing like crazy. It helps, I really like Benadryl the best, but makes me sleepy so I can only take it at nite. Maybe you can try that. Sounds like you should try something like Singulair, b/c I would be worried about overdosing if I were you. Singulair is another allergy medicine that is not an anthistamine, but an anti leukrotiene. It helped me tremedously when I took it. Might be something worth looking into.

Old 12-26-2004, 08:11 AM   #4
Inactive

hoffta HB User

I was just to the doctor last week and they thought about putting me on a Beta Blocker for my fast heart rate. I think (JMO) the dizziness you are experiencing is from a fast heart rate. I would take your pulse when you take these meds. I would be afraid to take so much of one medication. I would also ask your pcp.

The benadryl and clariten makes more sense since Benadryl has a sedating effect and probably slows things down.

By the way, they would not issue a script for the beta blocker because it would mess up the asthma meds. I take Singulair and just switched myself to Clariten D from Allegra D, after this last sinus infection.

Allergist told me they would prefer I not take the Beta Blocker because if I come in with an allergic reaction and have to administer epinephrine, it would take much longer to get my heart rate up.

Be careful with what you are mixing...and always ask your pcp.

Closed Thread