It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2004, 08:05 AM   #1
Inactive

hoffta HB User
Do Allergy Shots Work?

I have been doing some research about the causes of sinusitis, since I seem to be plagued with chronic sinusitis.

I have found it rather curious to read that if you suffer with chronic sinusitis, you may not be a candidate for allergy therapy via allergy shots. Many of the articles I have read state that if you suffer with chronic sinusitis then the shots are not doing what they are supposed to do and it might be best to discontinue this. I actually had a doctor suggest this to me, but asked the allergist and ENT and both disagreed. I guess the possibly that the allergist might disagree is remote since it is to his advantage to have me continue the shots indefinitely. His NP told me during last visit that I may be one of those people that must get shots monthly for life. Of course, she also suggested that it might be better for me to come in more often again for shots.

Some health care providers believe that if you suffer with year round allergies, the shots tend to be less effective for those, but if you have seasonal allergies than the shots are more effective.

How many of you feel you are being helped by allergy shots? I never believed I needed them, but went to the allergist at the urging of my ENT. He told me that if I did not get the allergies under control I would develop asthma. (I have anyway.) I was shocked to find that I am allergic to almost everything and should probably live in a bubble. My husband is under the impression though that most people suffer from allergies and while some are affected by them, others are not.

Did not want this to be so long, just am really curious about how many of those on shots, feel the shots are a benefit? If so, do you suffer with year round allergies or just seasonal allergies?

Last edited by moderator2; 12-31-2004 at 11:45 AM. Reason: please do not label topics as polls or surveys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2004, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Re: Do Allergy Shots Work?

I take allergy shots and so far I don't think they have been effective for me. I have been taking them for 7 months, but i was told to give them a year or so and then see how my allergies are. I have talked to so many people who say they still have to take allergy meds, even after years worth of allergy shots. I find this so odd, like what is the point. I'll have waisted lots of money if i stop the allergy shots so I am not sure what to do but keep taking them. I hope they eventually work!

Halls

Last edited by moderator2; 12-31-2004 at 11:46 AM.

Old 12-31-2004, 11:29 AM   #3

godby_girl_03 HB User

I've taken them for 3 years and my allergies have since gotten worse to the point where I have not so long before I eventually lose my voice (b/c of post nasal and so much damage to throat and vocal chords). They might work for you and it is worth a shot. Everybody's body reacts differently , unfortunately mine is always the one to act negatively.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-31-2004 at 11:47 AM.

Old 12-31-2004, 05:19 PM   #4
Veteran

reader1 HB User

I have very severe allergies and very severe chronic allergic sinusitis. Shots kept me out of the hospital and alive, but could not get rid of daily symptoms. I know a number of people whose symptoms virtually went away with allergy shots.

If you've seen an ENT he/she has probably done tests to ensure you don't have fungal sinusitis. If not, they need to.

Old 01-01-2005, 08:03 AM   #5

MilkNWheat HB User

My question is what are you allergic to?

Old 01-01-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
Inactive

hoffta HB User

I am allergic to almost everything....I am allergic to 15 different types of molds, dogs, cats, grasses, mixed weeds, dust mites, dust, feathers, roaches, trees, plaintain, and sorrel. I reached maintenance in July of 2003. I think I have been getting shots for about 3 1/2 years. The allergist has suggested that I go back to getting shots every two or three weeks instead of once a month. I am just not certain the shots are working and maybe I should just discontinue, but then I would have to go back to the beginning and start all over again if they are helping me. I am going to ask the ENT to do a test for fungus next visit. Does anybody know how difficult this might be?

Old 01-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #7

MilkNWheat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjzhoff
I am allergic to almost everything....I am allergic to 15 different types of molds, dogs, cats, grasses, mixed weeds, dust mites, dust, feathers, roaches, trees, plaintain, and sorrel. I reached maintenance in July of 2003. I think I have been getting shots for about 3 1/2 years. The allergist has suggested that I go back to getting shots every two or three weeks instead of once a month. I am just not certain the shots are working and maybe I should just discontinue, but then I would have to go back to the beginning and start all over again if they are helping me. I am going to ask the ENT to do a test for fungus next visit. Does anybody know how difficult this might be?

I wish I could help you out but I have allergies to food not inhalents... That's why I asked before I answered your question.

Good Luck!

Old 01-01-2005, 11:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

They work for me! I've on them since January 2002 and I could not live with out them. I still have to take my meds, but meds alone were not enough to keep symptoms away. A few things to ask your doctor about if they aren't working after a year.

1. Getting retested. This is esppecially important if your allergies started after moving to a new area. You might have developed new allergies since your first test. I remarked to my doctor that the shots seemed to help every season but summer. I was retested, and it turned out I had developed allergies to a few more molds than I originally tested positive for. Once I got shots for all the molds I was allergic to, summer season was much better.

2. Getting a higher dose. I remmeber someone on this board saying that their shots helped, but not as much as he would've liked. His doctor increased his dose, and he felt much better.

My doctor told me it would take 2-5 years of shots for optimal results. A few unlucky ones have to get them the rest of their lives. So far every season is better than the same season of the previous year. So hang in there!

Old 01-02-2005, 07:46 AM   #9
Inactive

hoffta HB User

I am into allergy shots about 3 and 1/2 years. I know that right around the time for shots I am a little stuffier than usual. I think it is time for a visit with the doctor himself. I often see his NP, but I think I need to talk to him about maybe increasing the dosage or getting tested again.

The pcp that told me the shots are not working often is mistaken with my diagnoses (sp), so maybe he is mistaken about this as well. I do not want to give up on the shots yet. The NP told me I may just be one of those people that needs to be on shots forever. She said if I could live in a bubble I would be so much better off..That is not going to happen anytime soon though.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me!

Closed Thread