It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2004, 11:44 AM   #1

godby_girl_03 HB User
postnasal drip and chronic sore throat help

I never had a problem with allergies ever except for 5 years ago I started getting a constant postnasal drip down my throat but didn't have any other allergy symptoms at all. I have since seen many allergists and have literally tried every allergy medicine there is and have been taking the shots for 3 years. I have also seen several ENT doctors who can't seem to have any answer. I am a musician and was planning to sing and play my guitar for the rest of my life and was going to enter a school of music, but b/c of the post nasal I have lost my voice completely, I can hardly talk and I have chronic pain in my throat all the time. My throat bleeds everyday adn when I look at my throat in the mirror I have bloody looking stripes and cuts going down my throat from the constant postnasal drip. These past years I have experienced many many health problems and I am going through a severe depression that has lasted for years, and I need help but the doctos tell me they can't do anything. If someone has any clue and lead to help me please reply. This is the lest of my physical problems but if I can help one it will help me out.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: postnasal drip and chronic sore throat help

Hi, I am dealing with same problem, my PND just goes on and on.I woke up on Easter with severe hoaresness which took 7 weeks for my voice to return to normal, now I dealing with this again. I just had blood work done and showed no signs of infection. My Dr. told me the hoarseness comes from the PD, irritating the voice box. Mine comes and goes this time, sometimes I am really hoarse, other times just raspy and than normal.I have no blood, but my husband has sinus problems and is getting blood out of his nose, he has been on three different AB's and nothing is helping.I cannot handle the allergy med or sprays.

I am anxious to see your replies because I posted about this also and got no replies.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 04:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

What exactly have the ENT's told you? HAve they done a sinus CT scan? Also what does the allergist say, does he think the PND is allergy related? I firmly believe that chronic PND is an allergy symptom. I had it for years, but was never taken seriously until I got chronic sinus infections, then I was finally referred to the allergist. What are you allergic to? Is it a "runny" PND or a thick nasty PND? What medicines are you taking now? Sorry for all the questions, I just need a little more info before I give advice.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 01-02-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:41 AM   #4

godby_girl_03 HB User

Thanks for all the questions! Well I've been to the ENT about 5 times and he kept saying it was allergies. Then the 5th time he said that I needed to go to speech therapy, which I did for 3 months and didn't need. Anyhow, I've been seeing the allergist for many years and we did the whole ***** test and I was basically allergic to dust mite, weeds, pollen, all the stuff that you can't help but get in Florida. So I started off taking pills, and sprays, and shots, and the last time I visited the allergist he said that I had tried absolutely everything over the 5 years I had been seeing him and that he didn't know what to do. This allergist was also in GA, so I had to drive quite a ways to see him, but I did it because he was supposedly one of the best. So basically my ENT and allergist said that they don't know what to do. Several times that I have been in the hospital for other issues the doctors have looked in my nose and said, "man you have terrible allergies". The biggest problem is that I don't have the normal sneezing and runny eyes symptoms, just the post nasal.

The only two other options I have come up with myself are that it could be a structural problem causing all the drainage to just go down the throat, but the most I thought about it I didn't start experiencing these problems till I moved to the house I live in now. Before I move there I never had issues with allergies. It is a very old house, so I'm wondering if something in the house, maybe the duct work was causing this. Luckily my parents built a guest room on to the house that is completely seperate and has it's own air and heat, so this week I decided I would move in there.

What ya think?
Thanks,
CJF

Old 01-05-2005, 11:37 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bbybyrd HB User

I know how you feel. I didn't have allergy problems til I moved to Kentucky. Started having real bad sinus infections and had to go to an ENT and allergist. Had CT scan and found out that my left and right ethmoid air cell is blocked which makes my sinuses drain in my gums a lot. They wanted to do surgery but the ENT sent me to an allergist first. Found out that I'm allergic to just about everything that Kentucky has...I also have both indoor and outdoor allergies so I suffer all year. I do have problems with PND and haven't come up with anything to help it but to just let it run it's course. I've been on just about everything under the sun also including shots. You really should have a CT scan so they can see if there are any blockages anywhere.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:14 PM   #6

godby_girl_03 HB User

Thank you!

Old 01-07-2005, 01:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

So the ENT hasn't done a CT scan? I would request one. My experience is very similar to yours. I rarely sneeze, My eyes itch and water and I get congested and have lots of PND. After a 1 1/2 years on the shots, I felt my allergies were better, but the PND got worse I started getting chronic bronchitis. That's when my allergist ordered a CT scan. He was convinced I had sinusitis. The CT showed an enlarged turbinate and inflamed but not blocked sinuses on the right side. The ENT just wanted to reduce the turbinate, but after consulting with the allergist, agreed to enlarge the opening of the maxilary sinus and "just take a look" Well, it turned out he removed a heck of a lot of gunk, the nurse told me it took him a lot longer than usual. So much for the ENT telling me the inflammation was "just allergy."

I would not give up on your allergy treatments, I would continue them. But I would request a CT scan on the basis that the allergy treatments haven't solved the problem and you want to rule out sinusitis.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:01 AM   #8

godby_girl_03 HB User

I will do this soon, thanks.

Old 01-08-2005, 10:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

BTW I also sing, and although I've been lucky and have never lost my voice completely (knock on wood), here are a few things that help my voice. I'm sure you already know the old standby of drinking tea with lemon and honey. I actually drink a lemon herbal tea, and feel it helps more than regular tea. Also, you should gargle at least twice a day with with a salt water rinse. Put 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in 4 ounces of water and gargle. This really works well to remove the gunk from the back of the throat. Also, there is a great spray called Entertainer's Secret. It really soothes hoarse vocal cords. I can't post links, but if you google it, the websites you can buy it at will come up.

Old 01-08-2005, 11:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Hi everyone. I just had an very elderly woman tell me that her grandmother made each of them have a hot cup of tea with honey that was made in their area everyday or a spoonful. Every one in there family had sinus and allergy problem and she swears by this. About two weeks ago I found honey that was made about a mile from my home and am seeing much improvement in my allergy symtons. Thought I would pass this along to you. She told me the honey has to be from your local area because of the pollens that the bee are attracted to. Ib went through allergy shots for years with no help and cannot handle the meds or the sprays.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 01-10-2005, 07:02 AM   #11

godby_girl_03 HB User

Sounds like this stuff is worth a try. One question though, do you think there could be a possibility that something in the old house I live in is causing these allergies? They didn't start till I moved to the house and have gotten worse since.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #12
(male)

steven12345 HB User

Hi, I'm a 20 year old male and have a lot of sinus and throat problems. I would consider myself in pretty good shape but i get this recurring soar throat and my nose is stuffed. I got tested for every std in the book to rule out that as the problem, since being a sexually active male at 20 is pretty dangerous. any ideas??? possibly post nasal drip???

Old 01-17-2005, 10:13 AM   #13

godby_girl_03 HB User

It's post nasal if you constantly feel drainage going down your throat from your nose instead of out of your nose. The reason the throat gets soar is because of the drainage making your throat raw. If you're not sure you should see an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) and then an allergist.

Old 05-01-2005, 08:16 AM   #14
(female)

adrbassplyr HB User

I've had some CT scans but not recently. The good news is I went and saw a new ENT and he ordered a new CT scan for this upcoming Tuesday, so hopefully if will reveal some things. Thanks for the advice and sorry to hear you are suffering from same problems - it's a pain in the butt!

Closed Thread