It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2004, 11:28 PM   #1
(male)

Diggler HB User
Does this sound like an allergy?

Hi,

I've been suffering problems with my nose for a while now and was wondering if it is due to an allergy or whether it is something else. The symptoms i've been suffering are:

1) Congestion - in one nostril only (which alternates from nostril to nostril).
The congestion is very thick and clogged up - it doesn't move - when i try to blow it out or sniff it up nothing happens - just stays clogged.

2) Excessive/heavy swallowing - which i think may be due to post-nasal drip.

I never suffer a 'runny' nose - it is always thick and sticky.

I am thinking that it is not an allergy because the symptoms don't respond to steroid nasal sprays, and i have recently started using allergic protection bedding and mattress cover to no benefit.

Does anyone have an advice that they could share with me, or has anyone been in the same situation.

Many thanks.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: Does this sound like an allergy?

It could be a sinus infection, but I suprised to hear the steroid spray didn't help at least a little with it. For what it is worth, I have rather thick discharge with PND with my allergies. I never have the thin, watery runny nose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 01:31 AM   #3
(male)

Diggler HB User

Thanks sneezydiva.

My doctor gave me antibiotics in case of an infection but that didn't work either. Also, when my nose is clogged, there is no discharge out of my nose, it just stays there. It won't even blow out into tissue.

I find that putting my head over a bowl of boiling water and covering with a towel gives me the best temporary relief (apart from decongestants).

As for your PND, do you get the heavy swallowing symptoms from it aswell?

Also, do you ever get a white coating build-up on your tongue when you suffer from your PND?

I suffer from this white build-up and am wondering if its the PND that is causing it.

Thanks again, i really appreciate your help.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Yes! my tongue used to have a white coating all the time. But it wasn't thrush which can also cause a white coating. A dentist told me once it was "geographic tongue" My PND has decreased dramatically since my shots, and so has the coating,but I couldn't say for sure if they were connected.

Honestly, I have had PND for so long, that the swallowing is instinctive now, I never notice it anymore.

Have you asked your doctor about an antihistimine?

Old 01-03-2005, 02:51 AM   #5
(male)

Diggler HB User

I take anti-histamine (clarityn) in the summer for hay-fever. I might give it a go now. Does it stop the PND aswell? as this is my main concern at the moment.

Lately I've been thinking that it is not allergy related for some reason, and am considering buying a nasal irrigator to see if I can get my normal mucus/cilia system working properly again to get rid of the blocked nostril and PND. Have you ever tried nasal irrigation or rinsing?

ps - sorry for all the questions, but you seem to be very knowledgable about this. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggler
1) Congestion - in one nostril only (which alternates from nostril to nostril). The congestion is very thick and clogged up - it doesn't move - when i try to blow it out or sniff it up nothing happens - just stays clogged.
Sounds like your turbinates are swollen. When the turbinates are swollen, if you lie on your right side, your left middle turbinate will flatten out somewhat, and open up the left side, while your right middle turbinate will close up the right side, and vica versa.

If I had to start someplace, I would treat the sinus problem as if it was a reaction to food allergies. Reactions to foods that you are allergic to, take around three days to get out of your system. So even if you cut out milk, or beef, or corn, or wheat, or beer, or vegetable gums, or tomatoes, etc, for only one day to two, you might not see an improvement in your symptoms.

It might sound extreme, but if that was me, I would try a very simple diet for three days, all the while taking some kind of decongestant. If that worked, then I would start putting things back into my diet, one at a time, until the stuffiness returned, to find out those foods that play havoc with the sinuses.

If you are allergic to multiple foods, which is normally the case, trying to find out exactly what foods, in combination, might be causing your problems is very difficult.

Quote:
I never suffer a 'runny' nose - it is always thick and sticky.
To me, this is a sign of damaged mucus membranes, with or without an infection. The problem with damaged membranes is that, sooner or later they will become infected. Once they become damaged, it causes a vicious cycle of infections.

There may be other allergies involved, besides foods, caused by allergens that either touch your skin somewhere, or that you breath.

Best of luck and health for 1995!

Last edited by Machaon; 01-03-2005 at 06:33 AM.

Closed Thread