It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 11:12 AM   #1

reijo HB User
Question concerning irrigation........

I live in one of the allergy capitals of the world.........Atlanta, GA. To my knowledge I don't have any allergies BUT for the last 10 years it seems that I get one or two (maybe more) sinus infections a year. Prior to that, maybe one every five years (I'm 56). In the beginning it was early spring when I would get sick which is typical for allergy sufferers around here. Then the times just started changing....... October, January, May, etc. For the last three years I have had the infections in January. It always starts out the same. Suddenly I feel my throat getting scratchy and by bedtime I know I'm in trouble.

When I switched doctors, he keeps telling me that I have the flu. I REALLY don't believe it's flu, I think it's the same old thing that I've had for the 10 years, Acute sinusitis (according to my old doctor). I also run a high fever. One time I had the problem and ran a fever for a month. The doc finally did the "up your nose" test checking for pylops (sp) I think. But finally just got better.

I got sick two days ago and started taking Sudafed (which the doctor told me to take last year) and I BELIEVE that I have it under control which will be a first.

Now, after all of this info, my question is about irrigation. How do you do this? The thought of spraying a saline solution up my nose for it to drain out sounds really wierd. I've also been told that you can spray it up one side and let it drain out the other. Also have heard about taking magnesium. I'm just trying to determine how I can "head" off an infection before it comes full blown. This just seems to be something that I will get every year for the rest of my life. Thank goodness it isn't as often as many people.

Also, does anyone have any idea how to stop the throat tickles that goes along with the drainage? It gets so bad sometimes that I have thrown up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 12:26 AM   #2

acoustic370 HB User
Re: Question concerning irrigation........

i started irrigating a little while ago because everyone on this site always says how much it helps... since i have chronic sinusitis from my allergies and get infection about every 2 months, i decided to buy an irrigation machine and the solution that goes along with it just to make sure i was doing in a proper manor...

its quite simple to use, and i was extremely hesitant to use it because i thought it would be weird to use...

it isnt all that bad, if you get a machine, make sure you read the directions properly and everything...

i made the mistake of using it when my nose was a bit clogged and it trickled down my throat, causing my instincts to kick in and swallow which made the solution go into my ear tubes... which gave me an infection

the machine i use makes the solution go out the opposite nostril, and the way that feels when you use it is not bad at all

at first there is a slight amount of pressure(about 3 seconds), then it feels like i just jumped in a pool and water went up my nose(about 3 seconds), then both of those feelings disappear and water trickles out of my opposite nostril

i personally feel more comfortable using the irrigation machine and solution that is made for it as opposed to the home solutions

it has helped a good bit, it hasnt completly eliminated my infections,but i dont get them as often and it makes my nose feel real good and i can breath alot better and im not so stuffy constantly...

as far as drainage tickling, i am a constant user of original flavored ricola, it is the only throat drop that has ever helped my throat and i am obssessed with it... lol
i hope this helps!... oh and im in atlanta too (well north, stuck in the suburbs!) :}

Last edited by acoustic370; 01-11-2005 at 12:30 AM.

Closed Thread