It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
(female)

trojanbaby HB User
Permanent damage from untreated allergies.

My family owns a cat and a dog and I think I am allergic to pet dander because whenever I go home during breaks from school, i cannot stop sneezing and my nose does not stop running. On the other hand, when I am on campus living at school i am extraordinarily healthy. My family refuses to do anything about our pets so my question is if being exposed to this for long periods of time, about 3 months per year, would have a permanent effect on my health. I used to think I was just unhealthy but after moving out of my house for school it really seems to be an allergy, and I have lived with a constant runny nose for about 4 years before I left for college. Also, will my years of constantly blowing my nose have an effect on the size of my nose, like will it get bigger? I also notice that I now have crows feet under my eyes ever since I came back home for winter break. Is this permanent or will they disappear once i go away again?

I am currently taking nonprescription drugs to tone down my symptoms. I have taken allergy tests in the past and I have gotten no results back, implying that I have no allergies.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Re: Permanent damage from untreated allergies.

the damage you could have will not make your nose get bigger, however the damage will be in your sinus passages and could become chronic sinusitis. My suggestion for you is to get an irrigating machine and irrigat with saline everry day to keep stuff out of yoyr sinus passages. Take an antihistimine, and a nasal steriod like NasacortAQ every day. This will greatly relieve all of your allergy issues when going to your folks. If not I would see an ENT or Allergist and talk to them about getting on allergy shots. I have been in your shoes and you can cause permanent damage to your sinuses for not taking care of them. You don't want to get that unlucky cause once that happens it is hard to completely fix them.

Halls

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Veteran

reader1 HB User

Dark circles under ones eyes are not uncommon among allergic people. Mine get darker the worse an attack I have.

I've had terrible allergies that are difficult to treat for forever and my nose is no bigger. For folks with severe allergies, allergic rhinitis can cause sinus infections but normally does not result in permanent damage, although some of us have serious recurrent problems.

Now, untreated or poorly treated or stubborn asthma can cause long term damage to ones lungs.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanbaby
I have taken allergy tests in the past and I have gotten no results back, implying that I have no allergies.
Do you trust the test results? What allergens did they test for. What allergens did they not test for? How valid were the allergy test results?

Old 01-07-2005, 01:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Is it possible it's not the pets, but mold or local pollens? How far is your school from your home? Uncontrolled allergies can cause major problems. I would look into getting a prescription antihistimine and nosespray to use when you go home. Also, maybe get a HEPA air cleaner for your bedroom. You can at least make your bedroom dander free.

I feel your pain. I'm allergic to dogs, and my in-laws own a dog. I just got my first sinus infection since my surgery Oct 2003 b/c we went there for Christmas. I understand it is their house. But they also insist on taking it for rides in the car everywhere, so even when we go out, I rarely got a break from it. They were nice enough to leave the dog at home, while I was there, but the dog dander is already in the car, so it didn't help very much.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #6
(female)

trojanbaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezydiva
Is it possible it's not the pets, but mold or local pollens? How far is your school from your home? Uncontrolled allergies can cause major problems. I would look into getting a prescription antihistimine and nosespray to use when you go home. Also, maybe get a HEPA air cleaner for your bedroom. You can at least make your bedroom dander free.

I feel your pain. I'm allergic to dogs, and my in-laws own a dog. I just got my first sinus infection since my surgery Oct 2003 b/c we went there for Christmas. I understand it is their house. But they also insist on taking it for rides in the car everywhere, so even when we go out, I rarely got a break from it. They were nice enough to leave the dog at home, while I was there, but the dog dander is already in the car, so it didn't help very much.
i live in miami fl and go to school in los angeles ca. i dont think its mold or polen or anything because we have all of that here too. my mom thought it was dust but i have dust in cali too. Its either my pets, or my parents. i actually really am starting to think its some sort of nervous disorder caused by the stress i feel at my parents house

Old 01-10-2005, 07:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Hmmm you might be right about the pets, but there is going to be a lot more mold in the air in FL than in LA. Also, the pollens are going to be totally different. Have you thought about allergy testing so you don't have to wonder anymore?

Old 01-20-2005, 06:02 AM   #8
(female)

tip2mol HB User

Hi,

I suffer from a severe allergic condition- and by reading your reply, I would also be curious where your college is located as opposed to your home.
Yes allergies uncontrolled can cause long term problems. I suffered seasonal allergies for most of my life- even ending up with bronchitis each year due to the allergies- but other than occasionally taking over the counter allergy medication, nothing was really done for my allergies and I didn't think that I needed anything done. Over the past two years, I have definitely found out that this is not the case. My allergies got much worse and developed into a severe allergic condition. I have a larger amount of mast cells present in my body (but not mastocytosis) and also have high histamine and prostaglandin D2 levels. I am horribly allergic to dust mites and also very allergic to cats and ragweed. We had to completely modify our home for me to be able to live. Besides the allergy testing, we also found out how bad my dust mite allergy was when I was sent to National Jewish Respiratory and Research Hospital in Colorado. I was having almost continuous reactions at home here in Oklahoma- and would end up in the hospital when they tried to take me off of the antihistamines to attempt allergy testing. In Colorado, they took me off of the antihsitamines and I had absolutely no problems. Over the two weeks there, I gained strength and was able to get out without a wheelchair.
I had become dangerously weak and stayed mainly on the couch at home for the previous 2 months. Due to their constant lower humidity- Colorado does not have a problem with dust mites (they can't survive in a humidity less than 40%). We now have dehumidifiers throughout our home, removed carpets and placed protective encasings on pillows and mattresses.
However, I also developed Meniere's disease (An affliction of the inner ear that causes debilitating vertigo (a rotational dizziness that makes you feel as if you are going to pass out), ringing of the ear and pressure, nausea with attacks and gradual hearing loss. No one can say for certain, but there are a very high incidence of allergies in people with Meniere's. I believe that my uncontrolled allergies led to the development of Meniere's. It also led into severe sinus problems and I had to have surgery a year and a half ago on my sinuses. Allergies also weaken your immune system. I had never had strep throat as a child- and last year at age 31- I developed strep pneumoniae and then strep throat and couldn't get rid of it with antibiotics. I ended up having a tonsilectomy- which definitely is not comfortable or desirable as an adult.
Also- what type of allergy testing did you have done? If you just had the blood testing, it is not nearly as accurate as skin testing. My blood testing shows up with nothing- however the skin testing has now twice showed a very severe reaction to dust mites.

Closed Thread