It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
(female)

potter_carla HB User
Can Anyone Help- Allergic Reaction??

I'm not seeking medical advice, but rather hoping someone can give me an opinion or can relate to this.....
I am 18, never had an allergy to anything in my life before. Since Dec 1st approx. I am been breaking out into a hive/rash at least once a day. It is always in the same places, thighs, hands, tops of feet and wrists, but is getting progressively worse (more, bigger hives), and it is slowly creeping up my arms. The hives are also associated with a pain in the palms of my hands and feet, and well as swelling of various parts of my hands (usually palm side of my finger, or part of my thumb). I have no idea what it is, or what it could be from, but i am assuming something in my house, as i went on a 8 day vacation and was rash free. If anyone has any insight please e-mail me [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ] Thanks!! Carla

Last edited by moderator2; 01-07-2005 at 07:39 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 01-08-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
(male)

AllergyBob HB User
Re: Can Anyone Help- Allergic Reaction??

Could be a dust mite allergy - or at least something in your own house. If the condition improves when you go away, that would support that.
Do you have any pets, and when you went on your 8 day vacation was the environment significantly different to your home environment?
Kind regards
Bob

Last edited by AllergyBob; 01-08-2005 at 09:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User
Cool Re: Can Anyone Help- Allergic Reaction??

Hi Carla, I'm no doctor but I guess it could be acute urticaria or chronic urticaria. Acute urticaria last a few days or weeks while chronic urticaria is a long term illness. The cause for acute urticaria is usually allergies and a few other stuffs. As for chronic urticaria, the cause may not be found usually but there are cases where people have. I guess you should go and consult with a dermatologist. Since you were hive free when you were away from home, it might be allergies? You can ask your doctor for a skin patch test to see what you might be allergic to.

I woke up one day with hives all over my body! My GP thought it was just rashes again(i had rashes often when i was young) and would clear up with some meds and calomine(sp) lotion. However it didn't! Then I was referred to a dermatologist by another doctor and then I was diagnosed with Chronic idiopathic urticaria. Now, I also have cold urticaria. The hives on my palms and feet are painful and very itchy, they 'burn' too. So do let me know how you are doing...

Old 01-10-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
(female)

ahimsa HB User
Re: Can Anyone Help- Allergic Reaction??

Hi Carla, I agree with CheerAngle - go see a doctor, as it could be one of many different things. You can start with your regular doctor, or a dermatologist if you have one.

I have had intermittent chronic idiopathic urticaria (classified "autoimmune") for three years. FWIW, all the locations you describe are the same ones where I get most of my hives. My wrists, hands, ankles, and feet are the very worst, followed by the backs of my thighs, elbows, and knees. Those are the areas I get them most frequently and in greatest concentrations, though I get them other places too.

Good luck and please let us know what the doctor says.

Closed Thread