It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2005, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

The Inquirer HB User
Vasomotor Rhinitis?

Hi All,

I swear this is my last question before I have this surgery...Well, okay, maybe you better not hold me to that!

I am supposed to have sinus surgery next month (my third). Some of you may recall that I only have a problem on one side now, and it is primarily swelling -- the right side is fine. I've heard just a little bit about vasomotor rhinitis, which I believe is caused my something with the blood vessels. How do you know if you have this? Then again, if I have it, would I have it only on one side? I don't even know if they do surgery for this particular type of sinus condition, but I want to be sure I've covered all my bases before I go ahead with another surgery.

And yes, I will ask my doctor as well...also have to ask him about the cultures, which I'm sure he'll blow off, but I am going for a second opinion later this month, so I can ask him, too.

Thanks,
Inq

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User
Re: Vasomotor Rhinitis?

Hi Inq, I have vasomotor rhinitis and had surgery for it since medications fail to work for me.

The lining inside the affected nose overreacts to anything that irritates it. Therefore, the blood vessels enlarge and this causes chronic swelling and nasal obstruction. There are cases where the imbalance of the nerve supply leads to the dilation of the blood vessels...

Things like air pollution, temperature, hair sprays, weather changes can aggravate vasomotor rhinitis. I heard that it ain't easy to diagnose vasomotor rhinitis as unlike allergic rhinitis where there's a blood test or allergy test. I react badly to cold temperatures!

I guess it would be for the doctor and his own expertise to tell you if you have vasomotor rhinitis. I was told that I had allergic rhinitis at first. All the best for your sinus surgery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Yeah, I was told I have allergic rhinitis first, too...come to find out yesterday *after* the y poked with a bunch of needles...that it's really just vasomotor rhinitis...and so they gave me some Rhinocort, and now my nose isn't runny, but my sinus pain is way worse...lol ugh.

Old 01-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #4
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

Thanks so much for your replies...

CheerAngel -- interesting what you said about the chronic swelling and nasal obstruction, as swelling seems to be my primary problem. In fact, the only thing I respond to is oral steroids. To the best of your knowledge, would you know if it would be likely to have this condition on only one side of your nose? And to only have these symptoms appear AFTER having a prior sinus surgery?

Thanks so much,
Inq

Old 01-12-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hi Inq, I won't say that having symptoms on one side of your nose is not possible. Usually, it's on both sides maybe you could discuss this topic with your doctor in detail.

Btw, I just want to be sure... is your turbinate that is swollen? If you look up your nose in the mirror, you can see a piece of 'flesh' obstructing the nasal passages if it is swollen. Vasomotor rhinitis can develop anytime so it's possible to have the symptoms after your sinus surgery. But you might want to ask why it happened or did you had it before the surgery.

The sinus problems that you have could also cause congestion and swelling though it's in the sinus and not the turbinates.

So you are taking oral steroids long term for the sinus or turbinate problem?

Good luck!!!

Closed Thread