It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 12:16 PM   #1

kewkid HB User
Alergic to Cats??

Ive got a problem being alergic to cat's. When I pet them and then touch my face or scratch my eyes they swell up once even almost swelled together, is their anyway for me to get over this w/o going into a doctor.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User
Re: Alergic to Cats??

I really don't know of a way to get over it without going to a doctor, but I've read that people aren't actually allergic to cat hair itself but to the dander on it that is caused by the cat washing itself. I also read that to help the problem, take a damp paper towel and wipe the cat off several times a day to help reduce the dander. Other than that, I don't know what else you can do since you don't want to go to a doctor. I can relate about not wanting to go to the doctor though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #3

kewkid HB User

yeah, thanks alot.. I really did use to have a cat is why im asking and my aunt has them and I cant stand it down thier sometimes but I like cats.. I couldnt get another if I wanted due to the 2yr old 115lbs pitt bull terrier that I have lol but still I liked them and had one and woke up after it came in my room the evening before I went to sleep for school and awoke to find my eyes pussing this yellow stuff out and very red at that, they hurt and stayed that way for about a day or so..

Old 01-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bbybyrd HB User

They have cat wipes now that you use on your cat in between bathing them. That might help some.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I noticed you said you used to have a cat. So am I understanding correctly that you weren't allergic before? I'm not allergic to cats, but I got severe hives on my face and neck whenever I petted my grandfather's cat. It turned out that I was allergic to the Frontguard flea treatment they used on the cat. hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:37 PM   #6
(female)

PJ59 HB User
Smile Re: Alergic to Cats??

Hi,I have found out by trial & error(and lots of experience) the best way to reduce an allergy to cats. I discovered that the cats must be healthy & if they are fed a food high in omega fatty acids,their dander is reduced to almost none. Proper nutrition plus bathing will allow you to tolerate living with your beloved pet in most cases. Good Luck!

Closed Thread