It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #1
(female)

mrdtuck HB User
No relief for Dust Mite Allergies. HELP!!!

Please help! My husband has severe allergies to dust mites and is also allergic to numerous other things. He has had the allergies for about eight years now, however in the last year the symptoms have gotten much worse. He has always swollen severely in his lips, tongue, eyes or throat. On a better day, he may only have large welps all over. Over the last six months he has been swelling at least once or twice a week, and in the last month his throat has swollen almost shut on two seperate occasions. We have all new bed covers, new hypo-allergenic pillows. We have a new air purifier, have cleaned the carpet to remove allergens, the dog is not allowed in the room and the bedding is clean in hot water every five to seven days. Also, he is on his third steroid treatment in the last two months, which seem to be doing very little to relieve his symptoms. NOTHING IS HELPING!! Anyone out there that has went through this same thing and found any solutions? He is desperate for some relief!

Last edited by mrdtuck; 01-12-2005 at 06:26 PM.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
(female)

ahimsa HB User
Re: No relief for Dust Mite Allergies. HELP!!!

Wow, it seems like you are doing just about everything you are supposed to for dust mite control. The only other thing I can think of is humidity control. Dust mites thrive when it's warm and relative humidity exceeds 50%. Myself, I use a dehumidifier and try to maintain humidity around 40-45%.

Has your husband seen a doctor and/or allergist? If not, he should. It seems possible the swelling is not due to dust mites.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
(female)

Allegory HB User

You may have to go a few steps further. Can you take up the carpet so there is polished wood floors?

Do you have a wool underlay on your bed? Is your bed a double ensomble as these tend to be worse than slatted beds.

You need blinds not curtains, check the outside areas of the house for pockets of dust, clean inside the loft / roof, make sure book shelves are enclosed.

The dehumidifier is a great idea and makes a huge difference.

Check this board for dustmite threads for ideas - there are a lot on here that should be helpful.

Old 01-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

It sounds like you've done a lot for dust mite control. What else is he allergic to? It might be something else that is making him miserable

Old 01-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #5
(female)

mrdtuck HB User

Thanks to everyone for your advise. My husband is also allergic to mold, nuts, numerous trees and grasses, ginger, hops, cigarette smoke and others I can not recall. He was tested 8 years ago and dust mites were the strongest trigger. I have considered that it may be other triggers, however, his reactions almost always occur in the middle of the night, when he is in the bed. He is on a 3rd does of steroids, which usually helps. Not so this time. I will invest in a de-humidifier and see if that helps. The carpet will have to wait for now. The nurse at the allergist has mentioned possibly testing for an autoimmune disorder. Is anyone familiar with this disease?

Old 01-14-2005, 06:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

I'm not sure what autoimmune disorder it could be that has to do with his current allergies. A test called an autologous serum test can be done to see if he is 'allergic' to himself. Blood is taken out from him, spun in this special machine and then injected back into him. If he develops a hive/welt at the site of the injection, he has autoimmune urticaria. There are many autoimmune disorders out there like rheumatoid arthrtitis, lupus, sjrogen, etc... Did she tell you which autoimmune disorder she thinks it might be?

Have you thought about allergy shots? There's one type that is done over a period of years and another is done in a few months which could be somehow dangerous as it is done in a shorter time.

I know people that took immunosuppresant or chemo drugs to help with their hives (not neccessary due to allergies) and some had great success. Since the immune system is 'working' too hard which causes all those allergic symptoms. Some people had luck with singulair which is an asthma drug if I remember correctly. But I do not know if by suppressing the body's immune system will work with those having allergies. Good luck!!!

ps. it's time to remove the carpet and clean out the house's vents(if you have any). I hope he has an epipen too.

Old 01-14-2005, 04:43 PM   #7
(female)

ahimsa HB User

I agree with the others about also removing the carpets and other "dust catchers", especially since your husband's testing came back especially strong for dust mites. I had forgotten that one.

For my chronic urticaria/angioedema, my allergist gave me a diagnosis of "presumed autoimmune". Since my meds knock most of it out, we basically leave it at that. I guess if I were miserable we would go the extra steps of the self injection and maybe other more elaborate tests.

Old 01-16-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
(female)

mrdtuck HB User

Thank you for your help and support. I have already looked into the allergy shots, but was told by his doctor that the shots are not affective for the type of allergies that he has. He does have the epipen, but has only used it once. Are the pens only for an emergency, or can they be used more often? As for the autoimmune disorder, I do not know what the doctor had in mind. I guess we will know more after his visit. Hopefully we will find something that works.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User
Arrow Re: No relief for Dust Mite Allergies. HELP!!!

Yes, the epipen is meant for emergency use only. If his treatment is taking epinephrine to relieve his symptoms like hives, then his doctor might prescribe injectable form using a syringe instead. If the epipen is being used too often, it can cause nerve damage. The epipen needles are bigger than the syringes' needles as they are made to be able to penetrate through clothings. However if he has a bad reaction and the effects of the first or second epipen has worn off before the medics arrive or you reach the ER, the third epipen should be administer without much thought, as delay in treatment can be dangerous. All the best!!!

Old 01-17-2005, 08:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdtuck
Thank you for your help and support. I have already looked into the allergy shots, but was told by his doctor that the shots are not affective for the type of allergies that he has.
Allergies are normally combinational. Frequently, if you can reduce the different number of allergens that an allergic person encounters, it will lessen the overall allergic reactions to other things.

I had an allergist who believed in giving allergy sufferers a mild allergy shot of most of the grass, tree and weed pollen in the area. He never increased the strength of the shots. He believed that an allergy patient could avoid other allergens, but those that you breath, cannot be normally avoided, so he wanted to build up his patients resistance to "breathable" allergens. I took those mild allergy shots for a while and they seemed to really help.

Also....... could your husband be allergic to cotton, and not just the dust mites?

Old 01-18-2005, 11:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
Also....... could your husband be allergic to cotton, and not just the dust mites?

Or wool? Do you have any wool blankets on your bed? And are you washing the blankets as well as the sheets? Those Vellux blankets are great for allergy sufferers. You can wash them a million times, and they still look new.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:11 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezydiva
Or wool? Do you have any wool blankets on your bed? And are you washing the blankets as well as the sheets? Those Vellux blankets are great for allergy sufferers. You can wash them a million times, and they still look new.
Hi Sneezy.

Cotton is one of the allergies most overlooked. When someone does everything right in getting rid of dust mites, and they still have major allergy problems after going to bed, I wonder about the cotton.

In my case, I react to both cotton and wool, so I'm kinda stuck. I was sleeping on a leather recliner without blankets, but I have removed so many allergens from my lifestyle and environment, that my reactions to my cotton bedding are liveable. Just in time. It's just getting too cold!!!

Old 01-19-2005, 05:25 PM   #13
(female)

rocksinmybed HB User

Have you tried organic cotten? Maybe you're allergic to the pesticides and other chemicals used in the processing of cotten?

Old 01-19-2005, 10:03 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Hey Beerzoids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
Hi Sneezy.

Cotton is one of the allergies most overlooked. When someone does everything right in getting rid of dust mites, and they still have major allergy problems after going to bed, I wonder about the cotton.

In my case, I react to both cotton and wool, so I'm kinda stuck. I was sleeping on a leather recliner without blankets, but I have removed so many allergens from my lifestyle and environment, that my reactions to my cotton bedding are liveable. Just in time. It's just getting too cold!!!

You might want to try those Vellux blankets. They are super warm, and are made from some type of polyester, I think. Also, 50/50 cotton polyester sheets might offer a little more allergy relief. An added bonus is that they don't wrinkle as much as 100% cotton.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 01-19-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Old 01-20-2005, 04:07 PM   #15
(female)

chopthuy HB User

I understand completely where your husband is coming from. I have an extreme allergy to dust mites that was only diagnosed last summer. I too woke up with welts and the like all over my face and was incredibly swollen for a good part of my life. (This might be a hint that I should have had an allergy test sooner.) When my mother found out about the dust mites she did everything you have to try to ease things for me and like you it still didn't work. Then I went off to college and found the same reactions occurring while living in a dorm. However, whenever I go home those allergies no longer occur and I feel a lot better. Why? Well, it turns out that my mom mentioned my allergy to a friend and they suggested she buy a new mattress. So he did exactly that. My allergies are not entirely relieved but the new mattress helps. My mother's friend suggested that she get a new mattress every tw years. I know it may be expensive and kind of annoying, but it really does help. Hypoallergenic sheets are helpful but they cannot block what may be inside your mattress depending on its age. If your mattress is old then I suggest that you get a new one to relieve some of the pain for your husband. Also, if he is allergic to nuts you may want to be aware of what you are eating. Even if it doesn't say nuts on the label there can be nuts in it or it can have been around them. I have a lot of allergies and all of them together can be pretty horrid for me, but the mattress and an observant eye can help to ease up on the torture.

Closed Thread