It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 04:49 PM   #1

cabins513 HB User
is this an alcohol allergy?

Could I be allergic to alcohol...just within the last few years...whenever I drink even just a few sips of any kind of alcohol...my arms and legs start aching really bad and I get really hot and sweaty..i don't get hives or anything..and I haven't always had this....just started over the last couple of years...obviously, I don't drink anymore b/c of that...but I would like to enjoy a glass of wine now and then...anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-14-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Re: is this an alcohol allergy?

I also get very hot and sweaty when drinking alcohol, so now I only do it in my home and I dress lightly so I won't drinch myself to badly. I know it is yucky, bu I do not believe it is an alergy. I do know that alcohol can cause dehydration and removes the water out of your body, and that is why you sweat. Also, alcohol warms the body up as well so you are naturally going to get warm and sweat drinking. Now, I'm not sure why this has all the sudden started happening to you. It started the same way with me. A couple of years ago I went to a wedding and at the reception I took a drink and the next thing I know I was physically sick and had to go back to my hotel room and strip my clothes off as I was sweating from head to toe. This started when I turned 30 after the birth of my second child. I do know that my hormones are really screwed up since my last child so I feel it has something to do with it, as well as I am more overweight. I feel that if I was fitter and in shape my body might not dislike alcohol as well, but who knows. So, I'm not sure if you have any similar factors, hormonal issues, overweight, but I think that is why I am like that as well. What I do is when I know I am out and want a glass of wine I sip it gently and than take drinks of water after every sip. It helps not get so sweaty and hot. Sorry you have to deal with this! I totally can relate and it is not fun! Just enjoy a drink of wone at home wearing shorts and a tank top like me, LOL!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User
Exclamation Re: is this an alcohol allergy?

I guess you might have developed an alcohol sensitivity instead of an allergy. An allergy involves the body's immune system and the antibody IgE... which leads to hives/rashes, swellings and worse, anaphylaxis. A sensitivity is an exaggeration of a normal side effect produced by that substance. For example, drinking coffee might make someone have tremors, migraine or palpitations. In your case, taking alcoholic drinks caused you to feel very hot and sweaty + achy. You can discuss your symptoms with your GP too. Hope this helps...

Old 01-17-2005, 08:59 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

reading how you are sensitive to alcohol you might be have a bad reaction to Nyquil also. My mother can not take Nyquil. Her whole chest broke out in a red itchy bummpy rash. She has never drinks so that might be why she had such a bad reaction to it. She tested the Nyquil a couple of times and same thing happened. Now she reads all the labels on medicine before buying. Just something to think about incase you ever need cold medicne.
If I have a sip of wine my face become the color of a tomato. If I drink anything other than beer my I turn into Sybil.
Are you taking a new medince or something in the past coule of years that might have a reaction with the alcohol?

Jenteal

Old 01-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
(female)

BROOKIO HB User

I am also wondering if I have an allergy to alcohol. The last time I drank I had two midori sours, done drinking by 1:00am. Went to bed and woke up around 7:30am with severe burning in my chest and throat, cramping in my stomach and back, and difficulty breathing. This lasted for 3 hours and then I began vomiting for about 20 min. After vomiting the burning stopped and I was able to breath normally again but I did notice some welts around my mouth and chest that vanished after a few more hours. The following day my chest, back, ribs, and stomach were sore (felt like someone had kicked me a few times) but all other symptoms gone.
If anyone has any ideas i'd really appreciate it.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

I also believe I have an alcohol sensitivity or alcohol allergy. I'm 99% sure that I have a very bad case of systemic Candidiasis, so I think that might be partially to blame. I don't know, though. A few years ago, I used to have HALF of a beer or glass of wine, and I'd be dizzy, completely trashed, feel red, hot, and my face felt itchy. I'd also have diarrhea. Every time I drank, I'd feel like I only needed a couple of sips to experience what everyone else was experiencing with a few glasses. I figured it had something to do with the antidepressants I used to take, which is a good possibility since so many anti-D's interact with alcohol. The New Year's before the one we just had was the last time I drank any alcohol. I woke up with severe lung pain, achiness, a hot, itchy face, severe fatigue. The next day I developed the flu and pleurisy, so alcohol may not have had anything to do with the way I felt, but judging from my past reactions, I stay far away, which isn't fun, because it would be nice to have the occassional social drink. I once heard a story about a man who had a full-blown IgE allergy to alcohol, and it almost killed him. He was laying in bed, deathly ill, and he kept requesting small amounts of alcohol to drink to ease the pain of dying, as the doctors had no idea what he had, and told him he was going to die. I'm assuming this occurred when doctors still made house calls, by the way. Anyway, his wife started noticing a connection of him getting sicker and sicker the more he drank, and made sure he stayed away from any alcohol. Sure enough, he got better and made a full recovery. About a year later, he had ONE drink at a party he and his wife were having, and he was back to his feverish, death-bed state of illness until the alcohol was out of his system.

~Katalina

Closed Thread