HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Allergies (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/)
-   -   Question about freezing pillow (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/243851-question-about-freezing-pillow.html)

comeonnow 01-18-2005 04:33 PM

Question about freezing pillow

I am very allergic to dust mites and am trying everything I can think of to try to eliminate as many of them as possible here at the house. We tore out all the carpeting and took down all the curtains and replaced them with blinds. I've been washing the bed linens often in hot water. I remember reading somewhere already (it was quite awhile ago that I read it and can't remember where I read it) that you can kill dustmites that are on your pillow by putting it into the freezer. Has anyone ever heard of doing this? Does it really work? Our freezer is only the small one with our refrigerator and so I would just barely be able to fit it in there. I would suppose since it's only 11 outside here right now that that would probably even be better yet, huh? I wonder how long I should keep it outside? Of course, once the weather gets above freezing (it isn't always below freezing here in the winter but is for the most part) and in the spring, summer, and fall, I would have to put the pillow in the freezer. So I guess I'd better start emptying the food out of the freezer before the spring thaw! lol

Lady Madonna 01-19-2005 05:58 PM

Re: Question about freezing pillow

They make dustmite covers for your pillows and bed. Actually I don't know what they're called, but they supposedly work on lots of allergens. They aren't cheap though...... So, maybe sticking your pillow outside would work, but you'd still have the mattress dustmites.

-Lady

sneezydiva 01-19-2005 10:22 PM

I agree. Covering your whole bed will be more beneficial than freezing your pillow. But freezing does kill dustmites. It's a great solution to treating kid's stuffed animals.

tip2mol 01-20-2005 05:34 AM

Hi,

I have an extremely dangerous reaction to dust mites- not just sniffles and sneezing, I experience an anaphylactoid reaction when exposed to larger concentrations of dust mites.
We did place the dust mite protective encasings on our entire bedding and pillows. This has helped greatly. We also use a high thread count sheet (anything 300 thread count or above) over the encasings and we wash these on very hot water once a week.
Another thing that helps greatly is purchasing dehumidifiers. Dust mites can not survive at a humidity of 40% or below. Dehumidifiers are not the cheapest thing to buy- but with the consequences of my symptoms- we had to. We have also removed almost all of the carpet out of our home- first starting with the bedroom.

ahimsa 01-20-2005 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=sneezydiva]I agree. Covering your whole bed will be more beneficial than freezing your pillow. But freezing does kill dustmites. It's a great solution to treating kid's stuffed animals.[/QUOTE]

Freezing, huh? I did not know that. Cool! (No pun intended.) Now my little boy's toys - at least what's left of them - can get some kinder gentler treatment. They are quite ragged from frequent washings.

Thanks!

Kristi