It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User
Unhappy phlegm in throat help please

Hi, I have had for the last 3 months it seems like a constant phlegm or mucus in my throat where I cant bring it up I just keep trying to clear my throat to clear it and nothing works my family is tired of hearing me make these noises, I took two antibiotics because I thought it was drainage from a sinus infection that I had well that cleared up and this is still here so I think its draining from my head somewhere, has anyone ever heard of this or know what I can do for it.. I gotta get rid of this phlegm ball...

Old 01-19-2005, 10:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: phlegm in throat help please

If it's not an infection it could be allergy drainage. Also, if you normally take an antihistimine, that combined with the dry air, could make your normal drainage thicker. Maybe try some Mucinex to thin it out.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 01-19-2005 at 10:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 05:42 AM   #3
(female)

tip2mol HB User

Hi,

Mucinex is a great idea. It helps to thin secretions. It is truly just Guaifenesin which in the past has always been prescription. It works great and doesn't cost too much either.
As in the previous post, this is a hard time for allergy sufferers in that those taking antihistamines for their allergies get "dried out" from them and the dry environments in the winter caused from the lower humidity and using the heaters.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:53 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Amaeta HB User
Thumbs up Re: phlegm in throat help please

I know how difficult it is to be bothered by phlegm in your throat. I would like to suggest that it could be an allergy to dairy products. I know we don't like to think about that, but diet has a lot to do with how we feel and the diseases we get. Dairy products would include ice cream, milk products, eggs, cheese, etc. The only thing is, it takes about a month to get these mucus producing products out of our system. But it's worth it if we want to feel better. In the meantime, drink a lot of water to get this waste out of your system. I hope this will help you.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User

thanks for the info guys..

Old 01-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #6
(male)

coffin_along HB User

I am having the same problem with the phlegm. I am off dairy now so it isn't that and I have tried a nasal spray that the chemist recommended but it didn't work..

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 01-24-2005, 06:33 PM   #7
(female)

SuzyQPA2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffin_along
I am having the same problem with the phlegm. I am off dairy now so it isn't that and I have tried a nasal spray that the chemist recommended but it didn't work..

Thanks
Do you regularly take an antihistamine? Have you made any changes since you started having this problem like moving/working somewhere new?

I only have this problem regularly during allergy season when i don't take my antihistamine (whether it be a little benadryl, claritin, allegra). I have mild allergies so they would drain and clear depending on the pollen/mold severity. Actually i once linked excess allergy problems to my job....i would be clear all night and they would drain and then when i went to work they would start to clog up again. It was so mild I only noticed the pattern during my peak problem times (spring & fall) By 5:30pm i was desperate for any allergy medication.
Upon taking the said medication my sinuses would quickly drain themselves without the need for a Decongestant - unless I waited too long and let it go for a couple days...As my good doctor continually points out continual use of a prescription antihistamine would resolve this but i prefer to go it naturally as long as possible.

Perhaps there is something in your environment that you are mildly allergic to?
If so taking nasal sprays and decongestants won't resolve your problem since as soon as you clear you will clog.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
(female)

bewildered42 HB User

Hi,

I don't usually post here but I had to say what's working for me. I have that exact same phlegm ball and Flonase Allergy Nasal Spray has worked miracles. I've tried Claritin, Allegra and Zyrtec with little success. But Flonase did the job. It's a prescription but any family doc. should be fine with giving it.

BW

Old 01-24-2005, 10:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffin_along

Thanks

I noticed that nasal spray made mine worse especially at night.. Mine is so bad people cant stand me in the room.. And I dont think Dairy was the cause of mine either my doctor just put me on an antibiotic and guafinex to make the mucus thinner so I will see if this works..

Old 02-14-2005, 01:35 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

mayojojo HB User

yeah i have the same problem!

I don't know what to do...i can get the phlegm up but i just can't cough it out! oh dear...help me

Old 02-15-2005, 04:18 PM   #11
(female)

santo HB User

may, i completely emphasize. i had so much phlegm in my throat a few weeks ago i was so scared of suffocating, or choking whenever i ate. it's a very scary feeling- the phlegm can be caused by an infection, a cold, or allergies. go to your doctor so she/he can rule out the chances of an infection and then you'll be put on a decongestant and probably allergy medication.

it might take a week or two until you feel better. i was originally put on clarinex and simply saline (salt water spray) but i needed something stronger. i was then put on allegra and flonase, it took two weeks until i felt a big difference. the side effects are annoying- i am light headed, drowsy, and have almost no saliva in my mouth, but i'm glad to be rid of the choking feeling.

this may be seasonal allergies (i'm apparently allergic to the indoor air and forced heat during winter) so once spring is here, your problem may completely dissapear.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:05 AM   #12
(female)

Neverenoughslee HB User

I have had this for months. I finally saw an ENT who did two scopes on me and diagnosed me LPR, a form of acid reflux.

Laryngopharyngeal Reflux

If you have any of the following symptoms, you may have Laryngopharyngeal Reflux.

Post-nasal drip
Hoarseness
Thick or too much mucous
Chronic throat irritation
Chronic throat clearing
Heartburn
Chronic cough
Cough that wakes you from your sleep

Many people with LPR Do NOT have heartburn!! Many people with LPR do not have symptoms of heartburn. Compared to the esophagus, the voice box and the back of the throat are significantly more sensitive to the affects of the acid on the surrounding tissues. Acid that passes quickly through the food pipe does not have a chance to irritate the area for too long. However, acid that pools in the throat and voice box will cause prolonged irritation resulting in the symptoms of LPR.

Closed Thread