It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 06:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User
Deviated Septum

I went to an ENT yesterday because I have very bad headaches and thought they could be sinus related. He said my sinuses are fine, but I have a deviated septum that might be causing the headaches. He said next time I have a headache, spray Affrin in my nose and see if the headache goes away. If it does, then the deviated septum is the cause of my headaches. If it doesn't go away, then he is going to refer me to a neurologist. Since my appointment, I am thinking that my headaches are probably migraines and not sinus related. I don't have any other sinus problems or congestion with the headaches. Does anyone here have a deviated septum? Does it make you have very bad headaches? 8 times out of 10, the headache is on the front right side of my head and the right cheek. But sometimes it is on the left side, like right now. If my septum is deviated, would it be causing headaches on both sides, or only one side? Thanks for any help.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Re: Deviated Septum

I had a deviated septum and had it repaired. I sugges instead of going to Neuroligist you get a CTscan through the ENT to confirm the deviated septum and get it repaired surgically.

Halls

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halls
I had a deviated septum and had it repaired. I sugges instead of going to Neuroligist you get a CTscan through the ENT to confirm the deviated septum and get it repaired surgically.

Halls
Even though my sinuses are fine and I have no other problems associated with the deviated septum, like congestion, sinus infections, etc? I tired the Afrin and it did not work. I called the ENT back and left him a message letting him know. I think he is going to refer me to a neurologist. I read that 80% of people have deviated septums.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

I'm not really sure how the deviated septum can caused you to get headaches. So it's safer to go to the neurologist and get it checked out.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

I agree that you should see a neurologist. (Migraines are localized, but are not usually in the face.)

Another thing it could be is TMJ disorder. When that happens, the actual problem is in the jaw joint, but people feel the pain in their ear, on the side of the head, or in the face muscles. I personally get TMJ pain in my temples, but my roommate gets it in her ears.

Anyway, point is, it could be a LOT of things besides a deviated septum or a migraine, so I think a neurologist is your best bet.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Deviated Septums can cause all sorts of problem. But the only way to really know what is going on is to get a CTscan. Also, TMJ can cause a lot of headache pain as well, so you just want to get overything looked at to be sure what it is that is causing your pain.

Halls

Old 01-23-2005, 11:29 AM   #7
(male)

patricia22 HB User

I had a pretty bad deviated septum quite some time ago - broke my nose in a car accident... I could barely breath thru my nose for about 8 months - until I got it surgically repaired.

During those 8 months I never had any problems with headaches or migraines. In fact, I've never heard of anyone associating a deviated septum with headaches - unless it's causing sinus infections.

Many times doctors suspect sinus infections are causing migraines/headaches - but you state your sinuses are fine.

Can you tell if there is any pattern to the headaches (like association with certain foods, stress levels???).

If not, I'd go see a neurologist - possibly get a CAT scan of the head...

Bob

Old 01-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #8

bunnee HB User

My ent told me it causes a facial maigraine called sleuders or sluders neralgia. Apparently only a recent discovery that a deviated septum can cause it.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

I tried the Affrin and the headache did not go away. I called the ENT and he is refering me to a neurologist. I did have an x-ray of my sinuses taken at the ENT office, and he said my sinuses are fine. So, my next step will be the neurologist.

Oh, and I do not have TMJ and I breathe fine through my nose.

Last edited by daisyheadmaisy; 01-24-2005 at 07:16 AM.

Closed Thread