It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 10:25 AM   #1

pookah HB User
air purifiers?

sorry if this has been asked before- i am looking for a really good air purifier. i want one that is extremely quiet (some noise is tolerable), and excellent with dust, pet dander- the usual allergens. also, i have looked at those with mold and bacteria killers. my mom has one like that; very good, but it is extremely noisy. i'd be willing to pay about $350.00, but if it's a really good one, i could go higher.

in addition, i'd like one for my car, since my air vents seem to spew dust (even though it's a new car).

any brand suggestions?

thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2005, 08:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User
Re: air purifiers?

You should have the air vents in your car looked at - they shouldn't be spweing dist even if it weren't a new car.

I read a Consumer Reports article that basically said the quiet air purifiers don't work and the ones that work aren't quiet, but that was a couple of years ago. Maybe they make better ones now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 08:22 AM   #3
(female)

steph1pk HB User

The Ionic ones emit some ozone which is very bad for your lungs. There is a lengthy report from the EPA regarding this. I recommend one with a HEPA filter. Mine is a Hamilton Beach one. It is a bit noisy on the highest setting, but fairly quiet on the other settings.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:59 AM   #4

pookah HB User

hello,

maybe i was exaggerating a little when i said "spewing dust". this is a new car with a black dash; and i notice every bit of dirt on it. but it seems to get dust/lint frequently; i can't compare to the other car since i never noticed the dirt on that old junker. i did buy a car air purifier, and when i take the car in for service, i will have them check the vents.

as far as the air purifiers go- i was wondering about the ozone and if it was safe. my mom's is O3- i don't know what that means, really- but i looked it up, and every website said it's supposed to be healthy for your lungs- but it doesn't sound like it.

i ended up buying one on amazon- forgot the brand, but it looked good- pretty sure it's a HEPA filtered one. it has a "silent" operation mode for nurseries or sleeping areas.

thanks for your help!

Closed Thread