It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User
Question for old-timers!

I was here about a year ago with severe allergic symptoms, but I'd been tested for all the respiratory and food allergies that they can test for, and all were negative.

Some very kind person emailed me about some kind of delayed reation that I should ask about, but I can't remember what it was called or what to look for. Whoever you are, if you are still here, can you please contact me again?

I never did ask my allergist about it because the next time I was in he X-rayed my head and found I had all this stuff in my maxilary sinuses. I had about a million CT scans, and then surgery to clean out the sinuses and widen the passages that drain them. (In the mucus they took out, there was no sign of infection, fungus, or, as the ENT doctor said, "anything funny.")

The symptoms didn't disappear completely but they lessened quite a lot. But all of a sudden this week it's as bad as it ever was! One eye is swollen almost completely shut right now, and the other is swollen and red too. Even though I tested negative for all the allergens, I've been on Zyrtec because it helps, and since my symptoms have been so bad this week I'm also taking Sudafed Sinus, which clears up the sneezing and congestion, but the itchy, watery eyes just get worse and worse.

Before I subject myself to a THIRD round of skin tests, blood tests, and CT scans, I really need some suggestions!

Last edited by Crossbow; 01-22-2005 at 08:38 PM.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Re: Question for old-timers!

You don't have to have bad allergies to have sinus problems. Sometimes your sinus problems could be all structural issues that are causing your problems. I would go back to your ENT and get another CTscan. Possible deviated septum, malformed sinus passages, etc..???? You just never know. I have bad allergies, but I do know that many of my problems are structural and cause me more grief.

Halls

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halls
I would go back to your ENT and get another CTscan. Possible deviated septum, malformed sinus passages, etc..????
They checked for all of that. I still have the scans. It's several dozen pictures, done in two sets about three months apart. The allergist, the ENT dorcot, and my GP all went over them with me. The only structural problem they found was that one of the passages that drains the maxial sinuses was a little small, so they widened that when they did the surgery.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:00 PM   #4

bunnee HB User

Cell mediated allergy? Delayed hypersensivity?
There are actually 4 types of allergies.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnee
Cell mediated allergy? Delayed hypersensivity?
There are actually 4 types of allergies.
I don't know what those two you mentioned are. What are the 4 types?

Old 01-24-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

This certainly sounds like an inflammation problem. It makes me think that you are ingesting something that is causing a severe allergic response. The eye swelling shut is not indicative of sinusitis.

Ditch the Zyrtec. It doesn't do much. Go with Chlor-Tremiton 12hour tablets. That is the most powerful antihistamine money can buy.

And Halls is correct. Ask your doctor about possible structural problems that are causing poor drainage. Irrigation can help remove allergens from the sinuses, so start doing that as well.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins1066
This certainly sounds like an inflammation problem. It makes me think that you are ingesting something that is causing a severe allergic response. The eye swelling shut is not indicative of sinusitis.

Ditch the Zyrtec. It doesn't do much. Go with Chlor-Tremiton 12hour tablets. That is the most powerful antihistamine money can buy.

And Halls is correct. Ask your doctor about possible structural problems that are causing poor drainage. Irrigation can help remove allergens from the sinuses, so start doing that as well.
They already looked for structural problems last year. There weren't any.

Whenever I try to stop takng Zyrtec, I get terrible itching in my hands and my ears. Is that some kind of withdrawal?

Old 02-15-2005, 11:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Well, still another 2 weeks until I see the allergist.

Bunnee - Can you tell me what the 4 types of allergies are? I think "delayed hypersensitivity" is the one that was mentioned to me last year.

I asked the doctor if the itching I get when I stop taking Zyrtec could be withdrawal, and he didn't think so. So I'm staying on it for now, at least until I talk to the allergist.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

4 types of allergies? Can someone name and explain?

Closed Thread