It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 06:33 AM   #1
(female)

poppy30 HB User
5 yr. boy with severe allergies

My 5 yr. old son has severe eczema, severe food allergies, drug allergies, skin infections and more. He is progressively getting worse, and we do not know where to turn. He is starting school which brings on more issues. I have not met anyone whose child has all these issues at once. He also has sinus infections, leg and back pain. He is on numerous meds, which help little. He itches all the time, and we cannot find anything that will help the itch. Has anyone's child ever experienced this. This has been going on since he was four mnths old. It has gotten worse over the years.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
(female)

tip2mol HB User
Re: 5 yr. boy with severe allergies

Just out of curiousity- what has been done for your son so far (for treatment of the allergies). Do you feel like the allergist you are seeing is doing a good job. Has your son ever been to a research hospital/facility that specializes in allergic disorders?
Please let me know so I can better answer some questions you might have or give you some suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
(female)

poppy30 HB User

We have been to mayo clinic, and duke university. They were addressing his skin at mayo, and at duke they were trying to rule out hyper ige syndrome. It seems that no one is getting to the root of the problem. They are just treating the symtpoms. I think that is all anyone can do right now. I am worried that all the medications he is on, is going to cause major problems down the road. I know I have to give them to him, because he is miserable without them. It seems like all the allergist we have seen just do the same tests, and we get the same results. He is not growing out of any allergies, he is just getting more.

Old 01-25-2005, 06:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy30
My 5 yr. old son has severe eczema, severe food allergies, drug allergies, skin infections and more. He is progressively getting worse, and we do not know where to turn. He is starting school which brings on more issues. I have not met anyone whose child has all these issues at once. He also has sinus infections, leg and back pain. He is on numerous meds, which help little. He itches all the time, and we cannot find anything that will help the itch. Has anyone's child ever experienced this. This has been going on since he was four mnths old. It has gotten worse over the years.
My health problems and your son's health problems are very different, but of course, as with all diseases, there are similarities. I'll describe some of the things that I do, just in case something might help.

I've got multiple heart diseases, multiple allergies and chemical sensitivities. Many things that I eat, or that I drink, or that I breathe, or that touch my skin, cause increases in my health problems.

My diet is much restricted. No takeouts. No frozen dinners. No store bought gravies or desserts or lunch meats. All of my meals are home-made with as few ingredients as possible. My only drink is ice water, occasionally with a little bit of key-lime in it for flavor. I use no artificial sweeteners, or sugar.

I wear an ear-loop mask during the day if the pollen or pollution level is high, and I sleep with a mask.

I am allergic or sensitive to most dyes and materials, so I wear bathing shorts at home during the day, and sleep in the shorts. I sleep on a leather recliner without a blanket. The leather recliner must be scrubbed down about once per week.

My clothes are washed in baking soda, and we use distilled white vinegar as a fabric softener.

I read the mail, or the newspaper, or whatever, with a mask and with gloves that have no odor.

We use very few chemicals, and my wife keeps our place as dust-free as possible. We have no upholstered furniture, and only have throw rugs on the floor that can be washed in our washing machine.

Almost anything that touches my skin, causes me problems, especially at night. During the day, I can use hydrogen peroxide on a cut, but if I use it, or any other antibiotic cream, during the evening, I will have increased health problems, that will last for hours or days. Also, most of my meds I've got to take ONLY during the day time. If I take them at night, they cause all kinds of problems for me. I also have to take my meds two hours apart, or they will interact and cause me additional problems.

There are also certain foods that I cannot eat within two hours of taking particular meds, or I will get a bad reaction.

My solution to my problems is avoidance, which you are already doing with your son. In my case, my health problems are more, or less, under control.

Best of luck in finding a cure for your son's health problems.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

This may be a long shot, especially since your son is so young, but maybe prednisone can help with some of it. It's a terrible drug when taken long term, but some people really need it. It decreases the immune response, which makes it ideal for severe asthma and allergies. It has many other side effects also.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

What is your son allergic to and what treatments have you tried so far?

Old 01-27-2005, 06:40 AM   #7
(female)

poppy30 HB User

He is allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, wheat, solumedrol, keflex, augmentin es-600, dust, mold, cats, and dogs. We have tried numerous medications, wet wraps for his skin, immunotherapy, that is all I can think about right now.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:26 AM   #8
(female)

tip2mol HB User

I know you probably won't like this suggestion as you have not had much luck with research hospitals- but no one could figure out the problems that I had. My allergist (who is absolutely wonderful) said that we are going to have to do something as we are losing the battle in figuring out what is wrong with you. I was horribly weakened and nothing conclusive was showing up. She said- "I truly think that this is a allergy problem" and sent me to the National Jewish Respiratory and Research Hospital in Denver, Colorado. She felt like this was the best place for allergic testing/disorders.
They did figure out my problems and I feel so fortunate to be alive today. I was questioning how much longer I would make it 2 years ago. I only go outside of my modified home environments for short periods of time. I am able to go to a movie a few times a month and to various places, but I am learning my limits. I wish I could do more, but if staying inside means having a better quality of life and being able to enjoy time with my family inside of the home- then it is worth it.
I do wish you and your son the best of luck.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:28 AM   #9
(female)

ahimsa HB User

Poppy30, how difficult it must be for you family. I wish I could offer some good advice. The only thing I can think of beyond what you have already done and what the others have posted is to do research beyond allergies - perhaps MCS - multiple chemical sensitivity. I don't personally know any MCS people, but I have read a bit about it. Perhaps it's part of what your boy has?

Best of luck.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #10

lissaaj HB User

I was trying to find my previous posts from this fall to reference for you but I think they might be too old. In any case, I've had terrible allergies my whole life and without going into too much detail, I've seen scores of doctors and allergists who could not help, and at my wits end I looked into alternative therapies. I got real results from a treatment called neuromodulation. The treatment is a form of accupressure and is non invasive and probably a very good treatment for a 5 yr old. The website is neuromodulationtechnique.com or something to that effect. You can look up practitioners in your area on the website. I believe my practitioner now has a mayo clinic doctor at the clinic doing research on the method as it's been very effective for a lot of people. I saw results after three treatments. Apparently some people see results sooner and some later. It's so worth looking into.

Old 02-06-2005, 07:24 AM   #11
(female)

Laura_ HB User

There's a book out there called "Never be Sick Again".

Get it.

As for allergies, go to www.naet.com it's allergy ELIMINATION.

Old 02-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #12

rids HB User

Omega 3 fish oil and cod liver oil supplements can really help with the skin issues. Belie it or not, I know many kids that have those allergies. Are you saying he is allergic to these due to how testing has come out, ( blood or skin) or by personal observation? Delayed reactions to allergens are common, as welll as immediate ones
(if the allergy is severe enough) His itching and pain may be side effects of the meds he is on ( from the combo, or one, or more).

Old 02-07-2005, 10:58 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Have you modified your home enviornment? Have you purchased dustmite covers, HEPA filters and such? In addition to the HEPA filter I would highly recommend 3M or dupont high efficiency filters for your furnace. They help clean the air in the whole house and reduce the burden on the HEPA filter. Also, you might want to get your ducts cleaned, and maybe even get the air quality tested.

Do you son's symptoms seem to lessen when he is in the hospital? That is how I used to be. IMO that is a sign that the air in your home is not as clean as it could be. Hospitals have very clean air, and just walking into one often makes allergies and asthma better.

Also think about your child's school. Was the building built in the 1970's? When I was in junior high, I had a terrible time with headaches. I would constantly go to the nurse to get tylenol and each time she would take my temperature, and sometimes it was over 100 degrees! Then I would be sent home, stay home a day or so, feel better, and get sent back to school. To make a long story short, my headaches disappeared when I went to high school. And 15 years later, my junior high was offically designated a "sick building" The school district spent millions renovating the heating and airconditioning systems.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:10 PM   #14
Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

poppy30,

relocate your son to an entirely different envrionment. Maybe to a relative's home in another State for a month or two. Buy him new cloths and toys for the trip, and try not to use anything like family suitcases, blankets or backpacks. Try your best to isolate your son from anything he plays with or uses in your home. You might even have his cloths washed at a friend's house. If he improves, it's your families environment that contains the allergens. This may sound drastic, but your son's health is worth it. Take charge of your son's problem and don't let it go any longer

Closed Thread