It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 08:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User
Help - Post Nasal Drip & Irrigation

Does this go on forever? I have had severe clear - feels like ...thick constant post nasal drip going down the back of my throat on for several weeks now. This is dreadful. I have had PND in the past but only thin secretions and only when I have been sick or run down or lack of sleep. I've had congestion before in my nose when I would bend over but that's it. I was a smoker for many years but quit 8 years ago... I had a "slip" for about two months recently when I was under extreme stress and started again... but on a much lesser scale. I live in the Northeast where it's dry... never hydrated myself much at all. My home is dry as the desert but I now have humidifiers on now and drinking lots of water.

The only other symptom is dry out nasal passages. I went to an ENT... Been tested for Acid Reflux - neg. CT scan - negative. Put on a 7 day steroid pack with no improvement. Antiboitics with no improvement. I don't know whether to take an antihistamine as I know it thickens but I need to stop the drip. My ENT told me not to take it. THe only thing I'm taking now is a decongestant. I was taking guifasen (sp?) 1200 a day... no help..Would taking more help?

My questions - I just received the nasal irrigator... does it really make a difference or is it just a "small help" with PND? I must be doing something wrong as its hard for me to get it to drain out the other nostril. It came out for a few seconds... maybe I'm not waiting long enough? Also... I've read somewhere that it can makes things worse ... because its not cleaned well enough that mold or something could give you an infection. I don't want to make this worse.

Why woulnd't the oral steriod help... I did read somewhere that oral steriods donít reach the area they need to get to with sinus problems and that nasal works better. has anyone heard that?

Can simply being severly & chronically dryed out cause this or is that too simple. Any ideas?
ANY help would be really appreciated. Am I doomed to this choking miserable experience?

Last edited by cathy1; 01-25-2005 at 10:08 AM. Reason: added question

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread