It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User
Problem with Nasal Irrigator

I posted this question in the previous note on post nasal but I wanted to post this as a separate topic also. thanks.

I just received the nasal irrigator... does it really make a difference or is it just a "small help" with PND? I must be doing something wrong as its hard for me to get it to drain out the other nostril. It came out for a few seconds... maybe I'm not waiting long enough? I also read that if you have a deviated septum which I do could hinder that drainage out the other nostril. Does that mean this irrigator won't work for me?Also... I've read somewhere that it can makes things worse ... because its not cleaned well enough that mold or something could give you an infection. I don't want to make this worse.

Last edited by cathy1; 01-25-2005 at 02:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
(female)

tip2mol HB User
Re: Problem with Nasal Irrigator

Hi,

The sinus rinses are a Godsend for me and help greatly. What kind of rinses are you using. I use the saline packets and mix them with warm distilled water and gently irrigate. It is not necessary that the saline flow out the other nostril. As long as you use gentle pressure and the water gets to the back of the nostril that you are irrigating.
As far as infections. This should not be a problem as long as you use the saline solution and clean the bottle gently with warm soap and water and dry it.
Infections would only be a problem if you irrigate with unclean water or let water set in your irrigation bottle.

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User

I use the Grossan Irrigator with the premade packets. Perhaps its the way these types of machines are designed and that you're unable to clean them completely?

Old 01-25-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
(female)

Gab2000 HB User

OHH NOO!! I hope I don't have this problem also. I just oredered the grossan because I feel that the neti pot doesn nothing for me....
anyone?????

Old 01-26-2005, 06:54 AM   #5
Inactive

hoffta HB User

My doctor has discouraged the use of a machine for nasal irrigation. I just saw him last week and he told me he actually participated in studies examining the use of the machines. The problem with the machines is that mold breeds in them and if you happen to be allergic to mold it will compound your problems.

He suggests simply using an ear syringe, sterilzed distilled water, with kosher salt. He has also approved using the Neil Med system with the bottle and then tossing the bottle about every three or four weeks.

Closed Thread