It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 08:31 AM   #1
(female)

Gab2000 HB User
what are your thoughts on food allergies testing?

I wanted to get this test done but my insurance won't cover it. I asked my Ndoctor how much it was and this is what she said:

"The Immuno Lab food antibody panel is $300. Gluten testing is an extra $66.
This food antibody panel is "guaranteed" (if you do not have food allergies
OR if he does not get better after removing allergic foods for 3 months you
get your money back). Great Smokies Lab will test 100 foods including
Gluten for $144. Both of these tests require a blood draw, so you will have
to visit Dr. Horvitz (the doc who does my labwork) for this.
Metametrix 30 food allergy test is $99, and this can be done in my office"

This is a lot of money... I don't know what to do... my major complaint is stuffy nose and sinus infections and I develop now a yeast infection every time i"m on antibiotics... and now I'm getting bacterial infections also...

I don't know what to do??? I don't know if this test will be worth it or what??

Have any of you had this kind of tests done??

Old 01-27-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
(female)

tip2mol HB User
Re: what are your thoughts on food allergies testing?

Not to be negative against blood testing for allergies, but they are not very accurate.
I suffer from anaphylactoid reactions to dust mites. My blood testing did not pick up on any allergies, and I was tested twice at two different places.- However- my skin testing showed a huge reaction twice to the dust mites and it also picked up on food allergies (5 big ones). The allergist and the GI doctor could not figure out why I had gastritis- as none of my meds should cause it- finally the allergy testing showed that I had food allergies.
I would definitely advise the skin testing as opposed to the blood testing for allergies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
(female)

Gab2000 HB User

I did have the skin test done already and didn't show any food allergies.
That's why I wanted to do the blood because I thought it was more accurate. I just want to find the cause of my stuffy nose, and sinusitis... this si driving me crazy

Old 01-27-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
(female)

tip2mol HB User

Just wondering, you are looking at food allergies. Did they skin test you for environmental allergies. Is there a reason that you are thinking it is food related?
I might be able to help more- with a little more information!

Old 01-27-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
(female)

Gab2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tip2mol
Just wondering, you are looking at food allergies. Did they skin test you for environmental allergies. Is there a reason that you are thinking it is food related?
I might be able to help more- with a little more information!
Hi!!! well I had the skin test for enviromental allergies and I tested positive for dust, dust mites and dogs. Actually this year and less allergic to stuff than last year. Last year I tested positive for mold, grass, and other stuff.

Because I think I have candida overgrowth because of all the antibiotics I have taken, I thought that maybe I have food allergies and that's teh reason my nose it's stuffy ALL THE TIME and therefore I get sinus infections. With the sinus infection I have to take antibiotics, and then I get a yeast infection... I'm sick of this... Basically I'm looking for a rearon to why I can't never breath. I've been to ENT, allergist, ND's, had CAT scan... nothing helps... I'm now addicted to afrin, which is awful....

So that's all... I want to know why am I stuffy all the time... and I don't want to get sinus infections any more... that's why I wanted to get the food allergy test done.. I got done the skin test but didn't show anything.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:53 PM   #6

MilkNWheat HB User

I did the "skin" test for good and air allegies both came up negitive. then I did a 2 week food diary and the doct injected like 4 different kinds of foods under my skin where Wheat N Milk came back positive. Ask your doctor about that test.

Sucks you don't have health ins.

My symptoms are stuffy nose that runs, bloating and major gas!

Closed Thread