It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2005, 11:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User
Difference Between..

Seems I'm always on this board lately! Oh well--Ok, I keep seeing people talking about how some "sinus infections" can be fungal and not bacterial, and of course every doctor you go to just gives an antibiotic assuming it's bacterial. Well, I want to know what the difference is? What are some tell tale symptoms that would help differentiate the two? And, I dont think I can go by discharge color, as I get them all I think!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2005, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: Difference Between..

Fugal infections usually present a dark brown discharge. They are a lot more serious than bacterial, and require different treatment, sometimes immediate surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

Here is some info on the treatment of fungal sinusitis from Dr. Tichenor, one of the experts...

"Some doctors have added antifungals ( or antibiotics ) to the Grossan irrigator. One method is to add 1 tsp of salt ( or Breathease, or salt-baking soda solution ) to 500 cc of water in the Hydropulse and irrigate. When the solution is almost gone, it is possible to add the antifungal to the irrigation fluid and continue irrigating. The antifungal solution should not be added at the beginning because it may become too diluted."

Fungus is typically found in the sinuses of people who have sinus problems, but it is not always the main factor. This is still in its theoretical phases.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Yeah, I was wondering if mine is fungal related however, my nasal discharge is almost always without a doubt yellow....however, when I got sick this time it was dark green, the only time now that I've really sat and thought about it, that it came out bright yellow this time, was when I was taking my vitamins which make my urine turn bright yellow too--but today I didn't take vitamins and my discharge was yellow so what does it mean when it goes from white, to yellow to green and then back to yellow???

Closed Thread