It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
(female)

midge0429 HB User
Question Exema

Does anyone out there suffer from exema? I'm 22 years old and i've always had allergies. We are talking everything...food, environment, even allergy medications. Thats right my eyes swell shut when I talk Zyrtec and Claritin. I had never had a problem with skin reaction until this year. Exema has taken over my face and my arms. The exema looks like acne and has taken over my face. You can hardly see skin without redness and water bumps. I have just graduated from college and the job hunt has become even more difficult because I have to go to interviews with a blochy, itchy face that I can't cover with make up. If anyone else has this problem or can offer suggestions i'd appreciate it.

Old 01-31-2005, 08:59 AM   #2
(female)

rukelly HB User
Re: Exema

Elidel has worked great for my son who has food and seasonal allergies. If it gets really bad, we use a strong hydrocortisone for a very limited time (he gets it mainly on his face - hydro is bad for face). If it gets infected, we have had to use an antibiotic cream. I would ask your dr.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

I have it--excema that is, but I was born with it--I mean I Came OUT with it on my face, but I've since gotten that under control in my adult life now if only I could control my nasal allergies and quit blowing my nose! (Though I must say I am doing better today than I have in a loooooong time!) anyway, have you ever seen this baby cream stuff they sell? I got mine at Albertsons and it's for baby excema and allergies and it worked great on me, though when I get flare ups sometimes, I will use the Elocon cream, which has a bit of steriod in it. It works great too!

Old 01-31-2005, 12:44 PM   #4
(female)

rukelly HB User

Oh, and you should also use Eucerin lotion at least once a day...the kind that comes in a tub. You can get a generic at Walmart for a fraction of the price - $4 compared to $13. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
(female)

horseygirl14 HB User

My husband and kids all suffer from eczema. I bathe my 4 year old in aveeno bath oil. It's important to keep the skin well hydrated. My 4 year old has it badly on his feet. I used to use Ellidel and Protopic until the FDA put their warnings on them and now all the doctors I talk to won't prescribe them anymore which is too bad because they were a godsend for a lot of people.

I tried a cream from Walmart called Melkfett by Ombra - it's the natural products section. It is very lubricating and it was the only thing that didn't burn my son's skin. Right now I'm also trying some calendula cream by Weleda - you can get that at the health food stores and someone else mentioned Hemp Body Butter by the Body Shop. I am pretty desperate for something for my son as well. Last summer he got impetigo on his feet from scratching. He had to be on antibiotics by mouth and in a cream format.

Good luck. I hope you find something that works.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I have known folks who've used Omega 3 oils (oral supplement) plus Emu oil (just the oil, no added stuff) topically to get rid of eczema.

Have you been tested for general allergies & food allergies? Sometimes those cause the reaction.

If all else fails, the steroid creams usually work, but of course are not without side effects/long term concerns.

Best wishes.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

I have this horrid rash on my eyelids.
I'm not a child getting a food allergy rash.. I'm 59½!

Started out a small problem on my upper cheeks and somwhat near my eyes a few years ago. Since it looked like "diaper rash" or "heat rash" I simply used Balmex cream on it.
Worked fine.
I developed an eyelid tic.
Opthalmologist said my eyes were very dry and to message the lids with a baby shampoo daily.
The message was to encourage the blood to bring additional moisture to my eyballs.
Also hold a steaming hot washrag cupped over the eyelids..sort of an eyelid sauna.
I did and the tic disappeared.
The eye lid message & eye sauna became part of daily ritual.

Then last year my eyelids decided to become a source of frequent heavy pirspiration.
The rash appeared big time and turned to painful blisters.
Does it every time I perspire or cry.
PCP prescribed Elocon.

It did help, and I would use it spareingly whenever the blisters appeared.
But the rash keeps returning in the form of sore blisters every time I perspire.
This summer has been really hard on it.

So I went to a Dermotoligist last Wed.
He said it's Exzema.
I have tons of allergies (had them for decades and I do control them by avoiding the causes) but none are contact allergies. My food allergies have caused bad pain or swelling in diff body areas over the decades but never rashes and I don't eat what I'm allergic to. My breathing allergies effect my sinuses and swell my inner ears. For some reason he seemed disappointed that I also don't have Asthma. He asked me twice if I was sure I don't also have asthma. I don't.

He said do not use the Elecon I was given..it is steroid and you should not use steriods near the eye! (I've already used it off and on for a year!)

He prescribed Elidel till it clears up or for 3 weeks which ever comes first and then I'm to goto Mimyx. He gave me samples of both and a perscription to get Elidel.
My Pharmacist informed me my INS will not pay the $90 for Elidel without a special letter from the Dr. She is calling him and hopes to get the letter in a few days.

I have no actual tube or papers on hand except the samples.

So I used the Elidel sample Wed night, Thursday AM, Thursday PM, Friday AM, Friday PM and this morning. My eyes are burning and tearing up at odd times. This morning I had a headache that wouldn't quit!

This morning it finally dawned on me that I have the world at my fingertips and I can look up these meds and see if my problems are related to the med. Have no idea why I didn't think of that earlier!

SURE enough.. the burning teary eyes and the headache are known "rare" side effects of Elidel.

Then a link I clicked had located the cancer warning on the internet and I immediatly went and washed off the Elidel!

I am angry!
My PCP having given me steroids to use on my eyelids in the first place for such a long time and steroids don't belong on eyelids!
Now the Dermotologist gives me this "better" Elidel?
How can a DR prescribe things that have cancer warnings and not even mention possible problems to the patient?

I also looked up the Mimyx. That ones sounds safe.
A leasyt what I've read so far sounds OK.
So I have Mimyx on my eyelids right now.
Being weekend the Dr is closed but first of the week I am calling for a perscription of the Mimyx because I'm done with Elidel.

Does anyone use Mimyx?

I'm very interested in the things you guys use but I'm not intrested in the "make your own formula" thingy.

Dermotologist said to use ONLY Dove soap for cleaning my skin.
Luckily I have that onhand anyway, since I've always dry skin. I also have dry eyes.

I guess my daily eylid massage and sauna are exactly opposite of what to do for excema.
So I'll put that on hold.
I sure hope my eyelid tic does not return!

Last edited by snowmelts; 10-07-2006 at 06:35 PM.

Closed Thread